Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 08:47 AM

772 posts, read 999,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Yes, but once the astonishing new Clinton-to-Byram Corridor is built (Drone manufacturer waiting on Byram-Clinton corridor - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi), the area will become the veritable vortex of the Drone Industry, and people will be fighting to live there.

Because we all know that the reason South Jackson and West Jackson are languishing, is because it's just too much trouble to take the truckin' Interstate that already connects Clinton to Byram (or any of the other numerous existing roads, which include the Natchez Trace Parkway). They need a PARKWAY, like they got over in Madison County! I mean, in only twenty years, Highland Colony Parkway's almost a quarter of the way developed - except for the part of the Parkway which is in Hinds County. That part, for some unknowable reason, seems virtually empty, with nothing having been constructed since Dale Danks was Mayor of Jackson. One would think that the tepid demand for property on the Madison County end of the Parkway, contrasting with the NONEXISTENT DEMAND for property on the Hinds County end, would tell somebody something. Like maybe it would help them predict the success of the Clinton-to-Byram scheme, as a catalyst for economic growth. But nooooooo.....

Once that fabulous Clinton-to-Byram Corridor gets built, the already frantic demand for places to live and work in that quadrant of the metro will reach fever pitch. Fever pitch, I tell you! Jackson Jambalaya: Byram-Clinton Corridor project in trouble? (Video)
FYI, Highland Colony Parkway doesn't traverse into Hinds County territory. Right as it crosses I-220, it turns into Hanging Moss Road. The parkway starts in Madison at Highway 463 & ends in Ridgeland at I-220, where it turns into Hinds County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 01:49 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,769,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
FYI, Highland Colony Parkway doesn't traverse into Hinds County territory. Right as it crosses I-220, it turns into Hanging Moss Road. The parkway starts in Madison at Highway 463 & ends in Ridgeland at I-220, where it turns into Hinds County.
Right you are! (this is what I get, for listening to the observations of the locals, rather than verifying these things, myself) And in verifying that, I discovered that poor Ann Taylor's purse seems to be sitting in the middle of Cole Road, where it intersects with Highland Colony. (https://www.google.com/maps/@32.4015.../data=!3m1!1e3). Or maybe that's Ann, herself? I shudder to think she's come to this.

But seriously, following that link (at least on my computer) yields a number of photos of Highland Colony, as it nears Hanging Moss Road. WILDERNESS - thirty-year-old cut-over scrubland, just sitting. You would think that the land between Highland Colony and Costas Lake would have been snapped-up and developed FIRST: convenient access to everything, in front, and lakeside views, in back. Irresistible: right? Planners apparently anticipated this, because they went ahead and constructed several turn-off points along that stretch of the parkway. But they lead to NOTHING. Jacktown's bad juju apparently extends quite a ways across the county line.

However, the luxurious parkway configuration continues across West County Line Road, once the NAME has changed to 'Hanging Moss Road'. Only the name changes. It's still parkway. And, despite an intersection obviously planned to accommodate a large traffic flow, there is a building in only one of the quadrants defined by that Hanging Moss/County Line intersection (a used car dealership, in a building which seems to have been constructed for another business, long ago). Maybe, if East County Line had been connected to West County Line... But mysteriously, the connection - obviously planned-for - was never made (I sense some sort of 'Containment' motive, although the railroad crossing was surely the last-minute justification for the uncompleted connection at North State Street.).

Or, maybe, if the thoroughfares had less cumbersome names than West County Line Road, and Highland Colony Parkway... (Saying it/writing it/printing it/putting it onto signs, is quite a burden, if you ask me: just too many words, too many syllables, and too many letters...)

But the long and short of it is that building a parkway does not necessarily, of itself, spur economic growth - or much of anything. It certainly does not generate HUMAN CAPITAL, the critical resource which, in Mississippi, is shrinking, rather than growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson