Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2017, 09:49 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,775,588 times

Advertisements

It's a catchy tune, though! After everybody concurred that's what was playing in the background, I went to YouTube, to verify, and sure-enough... Now, I've got it playing in my head.

Jackson Jambalaya: Meet Mayor Chokwe Antar Lumumba Here's the song, I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sxTbfeYdO0 And there's a Reggae version, which I think would be GRAND, if performed by street musicians in the ever-hopping Farish Street Entertainment District: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Yasz2-Qrk

I like this old Russian song, even better. It's more fun than inspiring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ft9iuZu0AI

But truly, what an INAUGURATION! The Jackson-Kush Plan comes ever closer to fruition! Navigating the Storm: The Jackson – Kush Plan and the Struggle for Black Self-Determination and Economic Democracy (Be sure and click on the map.)

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 07-04-2017 at 10:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 02:35 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,815,512 times
What would you do, GG, if you were Jackson's mayor?

Old 07-05-2017, 02:36 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,439,225 times
What a sucker you are. The blog owner already admitted he added the music to the video as a joke. But you and others are so quickly to assume everything will go wrong, that you throw common sense out the window. Gullible.

You should do the right thing and delete your post, if you have any integrity.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:11 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,167,308 times
At this point, I could care less if he is Fascist, Anti-Fascist, Black Power, White Power, or a Purple People Eater. I just want someone who can make a difference in Jackson.

GG, I personally liked the Reggae version the best. I think that a little bit of humor goes a long way in today's world where everyone is outraged over everything.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
What a sucker you are. The blog owner already admitted he added the music to the video as a joke. But you and others are so quickly to assume everything will go wrong, that you throw common sense out the window. Gullible.

You should do the right thing and delete your post, if you have any integrity.
Check the time stamps. My post preceded Kingfish's "admission", by about half-a-day.

But truly, here I was, happily celebrating Babychok's Apotheosis, and then you come along, with all that negativity. With naysayers like you around, Panther, Jackson may NEVER become what Babychok has announced he wants to make it: "The Most Radical City in America".

Personally, I found it entirely believable, that someone would play such music, in order to fittingly accompany Lumumba's mantra, "Free the land - BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY". Verily, the music totally fits the mood and ideological underpinnings of the speech. So, whether the musical embellishment occurred in real-time, or afterward, is, in the final analysis, immaterial.

And the fact that the music seems to force Babychok to shout, only INCREASES its plausibility. Go into a Telephone store (AT&T, Sprint...), in Mississippi, and there's music BLARING. I took an elderly Delta Grande Dame to the Picadilly Cafeteria in Greenville (HER choice, not mine: she remembers the NICE one, in Pensacola, back in the Sixties), and, the whole time we were there, the badly-malfunctioning sound system was slurring SOMETHING, at life-threatening volume.

The one time we attempted to go into Madison's Backyard Burger, to pick up our Veggie Burgers ("drive-thru broke"), SOMETHING was playing. I think it was music. But the system was broken, even worse than at the Picadilly. So, naturally, they "compensated", by turning up the volume to the max (BOY, did I ever leave with a headache...). Even some Jackson-area BANKS are playing Top40, blasting from offices, or piped-in from sound systems. Then again, the skuzzy, unprofessional music in the banks, goes nicely with the tellers, who mostly now look like they've been hired out of halfway houses.

Having to scream over music, is now, apparently, part of "the local culture". Yes, I thought the music interfered with Antar's delivery. But that sort of thing is what one comes to expect, in Mississippi.

So, no. I did not stop to wonder whether the music from Moscow might not be part of the program. After all, the Eudora Welty lookalike sitting near Babychok's podium, was having agonized facial expressions during the music - and I figured either she realized the songs were a tad too obviously 'Red', or the volume was too loud for her ears. But Panther, you really need to be more positive about all the new Hope & Change in Jackson-Kush. Because I'd hate to read that your lack of enthusiasm had resulted in your being sent off for reeducation.

And no: I ran out of integrity, decades ago. Anyway, didn't you see the QUESTION MARK in my headline?

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 07-06-2017 at 04:31 PM..

Old 07-15-2017, 07:55 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,815,512 times
Lumumba wants to make Jackson more liberal than San Francisco? Good luck with that. The Legislature will probably stymie every radical proposal he has. Do you really believe if he wants to legalize prostitution, Jackson's worst neighborhoods will go along with it?

Old 07-24-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Lumumba wants to make Jackson more liberal than San Francisco? Good luck with that. The Legislature will probably stymie every radical proposal he has. Do you really believe if he wants to legalize prostitution, Jackson's worst neighborhoods will go along with it?
I thought I'd heard "America's Most Radical City". However, Dowager Soybean Empress has corrected me, and says she saw a reporter quoting Babychok as saying he wanted Jacktown to be "The WORLD's Most Radical City". http://www.clarionledger.com/story/n...ity/387058001/

'Radical' and 'Liberal' are two entirely different things. Plenty of hyper-"conservative" regimes and ideologies in this world, are labeled "Radical".

Has he said something along the lines of "...more liberal than San Francisco."? Or, did you infer that? And has he really advocate legalized prostitution? I just did a search, and didn't find anything about it.

My guess is that, by 'Radical', he's talking about the Jackson-Kush Plan, more than anything else. Then again, he (or somebody he knows) DID know enough to counter Pamela Anderson's "Vegan Challenge" (Jackson Mayor Vows to Go Vegan in Light of City Health Issues | Jackson Free Press | Jackson, MS)with a challenge for her group to help the Rainbow Whole Foods Co-Op, which is on the verge of going out of business (due to flooding caused by incompetence on the part of the City). On the other hand, not everybody at Rainbow is 'Liberal', since at least two ultra-"Conservative" religions are represented among the customers and employees.

Legalized Prostitution WOULD "bring a lot of money into the state". But it would also make the state attractive to levels of organized crime which normally consider Mississippi to be too pitiful to bother with. If you thought Hockey brought scary people into the metro, then prepare for something exponentially worse, if prostitution 'goes legit'. Coupled with knowledge of who's already buying commercial properties around Jackson, I can see dark clouds on the horizon, with Jackson's "leaders" (AND state "leaders") subjugated by a "parallel power structure" which is emphatically not Sub-Saharan African.

Given the fact that Jackson has, under recent administrations, been unable to competently maintain the basics (streets, water...), I cannot envision the city's leadership and law enforcement competently administering, and successfully limiting the scope of, 'Legalized Prostitution'.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:31 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 4 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,601,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Legalizing prostitution, under close state supervision (esp department of health) will greatly reduce the spread of STDs, and possibly drug addition among prostitutes as well. It also cuts down on human trafficking (lots of girls from E. Europe, Asia, and so forth are not exactly volunteering), one less avenue for organized crime to spread its pernicious tentacles into the community. The Netherlands does it, and they haven't dropped in their quality of life because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson