Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:38 PM

59 posts, read 140,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post
The problem is most likely 99.9% of fat people are fat because they eat too much and don't exercise. Actual diseases that cause uncontrollable weight gain are extremely rare, like Cushings.
Can we block beera and liamscott from this conversation? You are the exception, not the rule. Just like people who can eat whatever they want and not gain weight are the exception. 99.9% of people who are morbidly obese brought that condition on themselves due to lifestyle choices.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:53 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,393,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Obese people tend to miss more work days, tend to have more health issues and tend to drive up insurance costs. It's NOT discrimination to pass them by IMHO.
On average, I guess...but just speaking for myself I took as many sick days when I was obese as I do now, which is to say not many. My former obesity also did not cause any health problems for me except fatigue and high blood pressure, but neither kept me from working to my full abilities.

That's just me though. Having been obese before, I know that obese people can work just as hard as people who aren't overweight.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:16 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,705,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
On average, I guess...but just speaking for myself I took as many sick days when I was obese as I do now, which is to say not many. My former obesity also did not cause any health problems for me except fatigue and high blood pressure, but neither kept me from working to my full abilities.

That's just me though. Having been obese before, I know that obese people can work just as hard as people who aren't overweight.
As megcm1 says, there are always exceptions.

If anybody claims that this is not the case, speak up and I'll go find the data to post it. Just say, "You're wrong, their is no difference in the number of days missed between obese and non-obese people" and I'll be happy to point out your ignorance on the matter.

Why won't I just post a link to the CDC or whomever? Simple, because I shouldn't have to post a link that shows water is wet, and this way, it will point out who is ignorant on that particular issue.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:24 PM

11,368 posts, read 11,119,968 times
Quote:
Why won't I just post a link to the CDC or whomever? Simple, because I shouldn't have to post a link that shows water is wet, and this way, it will point out who is ignorant on that particular issue.
I see your point to an extent, but when people (I'm not saying you in particular) post stuff like "99.9% of fat people are fat because they eat too much and don't exercise", (which in the context of this thread means they have no self control and/or are lazy which translates to poor job performance) they need to provide a link for two reasons:

A.) It provides validity to back up a stated figure

B.) It gives creedence to anything else they may post in the future

Old 08-29-2013, 01:29 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,705,562 times
I agree there are going to be a number of people that have atypical issues that make weight an issue that can't be overcome, but that will be a very small minority. How much? I don't know, but for the most part, the generalization hold true.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:09 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,393,029 times
Quote:
As megcm1 says, there are always exceptions.

If anybody claims that this is not the case, speak up and I'll go find the data to post it. Just say, "You're wrong, their is no difference in the number of days missed between obese and non-obese people" and I'll be happy to point out your ignorance on the matter.
I'm not going to say that, because on average people who are obese are less healthy and are more frequently absent. I'm simply pointing out that that is not always the case. It wasn't with me.

Quote:
Up to you dude, I don't really care.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:12 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,192,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
What kind of jobs were these?

A requirement on an application to be a flight attendant, for example, is to be height-weight proportionate. Some of it has to do with safety, some of it has to do with being an attractive representative of a brand to the public.
Same thing with military, cops, firefighters, Pilots...

You can not be too short, too tall, too big...

Old 08-29-2013, 02:38 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,354,759 times
Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search