Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:26 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,862,361 times

Advertisements

It may not be YOU that they're running the background check on and have offered the position to. You may be option #2 if that person passes it up.

In the event you are hired, you just quit the other job. Mumble something about "not a good fit" and walk out. Don't give 2 weeks, hopefully someone who was their option #2 is still looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 09:39 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,864,272 times
Hopefully if you do get an offer, and you accept, the other job really is a good fit, because you won't be able to come back to the position you will be quitting.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:23 PM

269 posts, read 371,693 times
Personally I would stay at the job you're at, unless you really hate it - what is better about the other company - is it more money? I think it would be really unprofessional to quit after a few days just because something better came along - but that's just me. I know others would say well they would have no problem letting you go after a short time if you weren't working out for them.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:03 AM

388 posts, read 688,183 times
To me, it sounds like you have one job...the one you just started. I would focus on that until you get a call or a letter stating you've been hired at the second. I wouldn't consider you hired.

FYI... I worked for a company that took a year...yes, a year, to hire an engineer. He was qualified, had twenty something years experience and worked at NASA. Not too shabby. But it took a year to finally get him hired...after being approached by my company and having 2 interviews. It was because of budget issues, not him. But still....they stalled.

So even the greatest candidates aren't hired right away. Just wait.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:06 AM

388 posts, read 688,183 times
Oh and to actually answer your question...how do you quit?

"This isn't a good fit and I've accepted another position elsewhere. My last day is Friday."

I'm so tired of reading people say, "Such and such is so unprofessional". It's business. When I hear things like that I feel they are taking behavior personally.

I've seen people do this. A comment is made, people are surprised, might say something funny and then we go on with our day.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:59 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,685,376 times
I agree with the other posters. You don't have the job. When they offer you the job unconditionally and you accept it, then you have the job.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:09 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,496,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
People do it all the time. I've done it with very late-hour notice. If the new opportunity is a better one, then you are right to consider it!

ADDED: Don't go around your job talking about the new opportunity either! Keep your mouth shut. Don't do anything till your background check and drug test (if required) are returned and accepted by the employer. I do not trust employers anymore and neither should you, especially those you don't NOW work for!
Excellent post! Listen to this person.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:14 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,779,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfound View Post
I'm thinking I'm that candidate and they are doing a background check. But how long will that take?
Just a word of warning....
although we have a more stringent background check than most companies, for us, about 30% of candidates with conditional offers fail the background check and have their offer rescinded.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:39 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,273,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfound View Post
the big manager said the group decided. I think the supervisor that's suppose to formally offer the position is not allowed to offer it unless the top candidate passes the background check. But that's why I had to accept this new job, I don't have any reason to be sure the other company accepted me
Why are they calling you a "candidate" if a decision has been made? It could mean you are #2 and the "internal details" are waiting to see if #1 accepts their offer.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:53 AM

893 posts, read 887,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I think you are trying to count your chickens before all your eggs have hatched.
You do not have a solid offer from the other company, you have "a decision has been made and some internal things need to be dealt with".

Personally I would stick with the new job you just started simply because the other company does not seem to know what everyone involved in the process is doing and I would not want to work for such an unorganized company.
And references hadn't been checked yet either it appears......

I'd lay very low until you have a signed contract with the new company. Worst case scenario could become a reality......

Current employer gets wind somehow that you are leaving and decides they can't afford to wait and see so they cut bait in the "probationary period" and go hire the other candidate OR they are pi$$ed off and terminate. Meanwhile, the new prospective employer decides to go with their other candidate and you are left unemployed.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search