Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2016, 10:23 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times

Advertisements

I have one solid supervisor from my internship this summer who would be a good voice for me if he was called upon. Likewise, I also have one solid reference who would vouch good things for me because our relationship has been solid.

But I also had a supervisor for a part time school job who I feel wouldn't say too good of things about me. She blew up at me the end of the semester as she just had awful communication methods and I never knew what I was supposed to do. Likewise my other 2 references are lame, a fellow student and a landscaping co worker who can't speak very good English. My other supervisor is my dad from landscaping.

I always put my internship supervisor and solid reference first. Both of them should be able to answer the phone at some point during business hours. But would they contact my other supervisor? I don't think they would contact my dad? Would they bother with the other references if one of them answered?

I don't feel like I can put not ok to contact for my bad supervisor because I read it looks really bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 08:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I can only tell you what we do. After interviews and selection, we make an offer contingent upon references and background check. We ask for at least 3 references, non-family, who are familiar with your work. That could be a current or former supervisor, co-worker, or even customer. HR will talk to the first two that respond. If the first and/or second does not answer, they will try the 3rd. Never give anyone that you don't know will give a good reference, and always ask the people for permission to use them first. When a reference says "I'd rather not discuss" it's the kiss of death.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:37 PM

35 posts, read 32,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I can only tell you what we do. After interviews and selection, we make an offer contingent upon references and background check. We ask for at least 3 references, non-family, who are familiar with your work. That could be a current or former supervisor, co-worker, or even customer. HR will talk to the first two that respond. If the first and/or second does not answer, they will try the 3rd. Never give anyone that you don't know will give a good reference, and always ask the people for permission to use them first. When a reference says "I'd rather not discuss" it's the kiss of death.
I know when I was applying for jobs this past summer I put down three references I KNOW would give me a good recommendation. And it payed off as I got a job. One of my references actually worked for the same broad organization I had applied to (but not the same department). Anyway for me I knew to do this and it payed off with a good job and decent pay with benefits.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:47 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,383 times
The job I took recently didn't contact any of the references I gave (all good references) but asked instead to talk to my previous supervisor. I was on good terms with my previous supervisor, but he barely knew me or my work ethic, since I had been reorganized into his department just a few months earlier and he really didn't have much use for me or the other three reorganized people who came with me. We were never given anything to do, so that's why I never gave him out as a reference.

But I got the job anyway, go figure.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:11 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Alright, thanks guys! It looks like if a company asks for references, theirs a good chance they'll call them. So they really are looking for work associates more than personal ones? That's a bit hard for me since most landscaping co workers are either family, or I didn't get to know them well, or they aren't exactly wordsmiths and other jobs I didn't really have co workers.

Can I put my supervisor as a reference if they have an OK to contact supervisor box earlier, or is that double dipping?

Also, would they just contact the most relevant supervisor, or do they go onto other ones?

Old 03-29-2016, 04:30 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Alright, thanks guys! It looks like if a company asks for references, theirs a good chance they'll call them.
It depends. Some places call, some don't. My current employer never bothered calling any of my references, despite them telling me that they would. Some just like to see the titles/names of the people you've listed.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:21 PM

137 posts, read 199,522 times
Without a doubt ALWAYS list people you know will give you a good reference. Some applications will say to list people who are not related to you. If the application you complete(d) did not require that then list your co-worker relatives but remind them to respond that they know you professionally.

Some companies call and some do not. Larger companies will and some small to medium companies may not.

I hope this helps & good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search