Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 05:29 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,883,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Thank you.

Docking them for not following standard office procedures just because they show a little persistence is being a bit of an ass hat. IMO.

Yeah. I know...you want people who can follow directions from superiors, yada, yada, yada.
It's important to understand that like everything in a well managed business the hiring process is managed as well. Stopping walk-ins isn't intended as a screening process, it's more to manage the time and resources in the most effective way. If random people are presenting themselves at random time for a job that is likely not likely to be available, that is a huge waste of a hiring managers time.

Also, if there is a job posting then it's very likely a sequential process is in progress allowing for the most efficient use of time and resources.

Think of it this way- If we go to the grocery store and have selected our goods we understand as a collective we que up in an available check out line. Why? Because it's simple and understood by everyone and expected by just those in the line, and the checker needs this to best manage their responsibilities.

Now what if one person has the gumption to think "Why bother with that? I can ignore this que and take care of this directly." What happens then?

What if everyone in that que decided to follow suit and practiced "festival" checking, what then?

I can't say that every hiring process is perfect but they are in place for a reason and the best way to manage good hiring practices is everyone follows the shared direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 07:21 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Part of the problem with encouraging walkins is that you are essentially screening for pushy people. That may be fine and even advantageous for some types of sales, but a walk-in does not necessarily have any other qualifications.

If you do have a position posted, theoretically you want the most qualified person for the job. That doesn’t necessarily end up as your result if you give a preference to the walk-in applicant.

I prefer to go with most qualified.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:53 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
I tried walk-ins. Was referred to the website.

Not doing it again.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:28 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsworth19 View Post
Just wondering if anyone still uses the traditional method of knocking on the door
of a prospective employer with resume/CV in hand as a way of finding work?
Jobs that actually warrant the use of a resume/CV aren't well suited to the approach and never have been.

Quote:
I've used this method a couple of times with zero success...
When it was done with some success it was far more about the specific timing involved
and some scuttlebutt within the office building to leverage off of (networking)
but mostly about smaller shops that would have an actual decision maker (owner) being available to talk to.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:34 AM

2 posts, read 588 times
Really interesting responses. Prior to my previous round of door knocking I had vowed not to waste my time with it at all, but did. And I got one or two bites but all went dead in the end. I think if you're presentable, know a bit about the company you've walked into and have some authority and skill in your field / job that the company could potentially need one day, then I would expect to at the very least be able to leave my resume with someone.

I know it's a hectic world, and everyone's busy busy busy, deadlines, meetings, etc so people don't have time for randoms walking into their place of business with a resume asking for work. But I think there's still a glimmer of value left in it. I always expect each visit to be a quick one, and never hope to engage in any sort of longer conversation with anyone - although that has happened once or twice - but overall, some people have great success with it, some don't. Depends on many factors, like the type of work / industry you're looking for a job in; how busy the receptionist is; your presentation; the availability of prospective roles at the company at the time...

Old 08-23-2019, 07:51 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
My issue is with strictly and deliberately NOT giving potential candidates ANY consideration because they tried the initial in person approach. Of course it will be defended as saying the person didn't take "no" for an answer. The person with that attitude, I believes does that from a superior attitude....as if they never try one more time with they're given an initial "no."

Who among us -- if there's something we've asked for that we really want -- hasn't tried again, or asked once more time about it? Did the potential candidate refuse to leave after REPEATEDLY being told go to the website? Did they potential candidate cause an actual disturbance? If not, I don't think the hostility -- and prejudice against any potential candidacy -- is warranted. Under the cover of "they don't follow directions."

Old 08-23-2019, 08:01 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsworth19 View Post
...then I would expect to at the very least be able to leave my resume with someone.
Blame the "HR professionals" for that.
There the same ones who will demand a college degree for jobs that don't actually require such.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:24 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
My issue is with strictly and deliberately NOT giving potential candidates ANY consideration because they tried the initial in person approach. Of course it will be defended as saying the person didn't take "no" for an answer. The person with that attitude, I believes does that from a superior attitude....as if they never try one more time with they're given an initial "no."

Who among us -- if there's something we've asked for that we really want -- hasn't tried again, or asked once more time about it? Did the potential candidate refuse to leave after REPEATEDLY being told go to the website? Did they potential candidate cause an actual disturbance? If not, I don't think the hostility -- and prejudice against any potential candidacy -- is warranted. Under the cover of "they don't follow directions."
As the person who stated this as a practice upthread, let me elaborate on my reasons.

Our HR website clearly states that the only way of applying for a position is via the website. This is not an unusual business practice, so should not be shocking to people.

Walking in on me would require dodging my assistant, typically by misrepresenting your reason for speaking to me. So now I have some evidence that the person is deceitful.

I do clearly warn people that I do not accept resumes by hand, I do tell them how to submit them, and I do tell them that pushing the issue will result in them being eliminated from consideration.

Taking a resume in person starts down a potential path of unfair hiring practices. I am interested in hiring the best person, not the pushiest or the person who ignores the procedures the best. The cover of "they don't follow directions" is legitimate. The application process is a small portion of a person's work life. If they cannot follow the directions, etiquette, and process, why would I expect them to get better if I were to hire them?

Old 08-23-2019, 09:07 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
You can't get a job as a part time bagger at my local grocery store chain without submitting an application through a computer terminal. While there are certainly some jobs and employers who will take walk-in resumes, that is not the norm anymore in the working world that I am familiar with. If I had a moment I would speak with a walk-in, and I would tell them that all openings are advertised, and the only way to apply was on-line. If I wasn't busy, I would take a couple of minutes and chat about the job if they had any questions that they wanted to ask.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:32 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
If I had a moment I would speak with a walk-in, and I would tell them that all openings are advertised, and the only way to apply was on-line. If I wasn't busy, I would take a couple of minutes and chat about the job if they had any questions that they wanted to ask.
Thank you....for being reasonable.

Quote:
As the person who stated this as a practice upthread, let me elaborate on my reasons.
I clearly understood your point the first time. I just think you're being condescending and dismissive about it.

Quote:
Walking in on me would require dodging my assistant, typically by misrepresenting your reason for speaking to me. So now I have some evidence that the person is deceitful.
I certainly know I was not talking about anyone lying, or sneaking into anywhere. And no reasonable or intelligent person here expects a potential applicant to get all the way to your office --- and 'walk in on you.' Unless, of course, you're the first desk, inside the company door, on the ground floor of wherever your company is......with NO receptionist, NO door to be 'buzzed through' ....just a desk at the front door. They open the door from the street, and there you are.

Last edited by selhars; 08-23-2019 at 10:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search