Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 11:03 AM

10,640 posts, read 12,203,446 times

Advertisements

I hate it with a passion. So of course, I wouldn't think anyone would possibly enjoy it.
But, there are all kinds of people in the world, so maybe there are people who actually enjoy it.

If so, why?
Because I can't think of any reason in the world -- short of being paid tens-of-thousands of dollars per interview -- to put myself through that process.

Of course, if you want a job most people have to interview for it. But that's not the same as enjoying it. And even if a person likes to test the waters on a whim and see what opportunities are available, that still doesn't mean they enjoy it. They do it because that's what you have to do.

So, do you go on interviews just for kicks?
Seems like a funny/strange way to entertain oneself. IMO.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 01:16 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,187,917 times
When I have a job I don't like and the job I'm interviewing for is one that I will like better... yeah, I like interviewing. I'm no extravert, so a job selling things would be a nightmare to me. Selling myself is different. It's nice to be able to demonstrate that I know what I'm doing and that I'm good at what I do.

It's also nice when when I'm interviewing out of state and the place doing the hiring flies me to their state. I got to do that 3 times last year. Getting a free trip took some of the sting out of not getting the first two jobs.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:55 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,100,049 times
I don't mind interviewing. I would not say that I like it to the point that I would do it for entertainment, or if I was not seriously looking for a job, but as part of the work world, it is better than many activities.

Similar to Bo, interviewing for me involves an employer sponsored trip to their location, so depending on where they are, the trip may be enjoyable.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:58 PM

5,655 posts, read 6,252,106 times
I hate it for the most part except when it gives me the necessary insight to realize that I don't want to work for a particular company. But even that is really just a good side product...I hate the process.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,704,810 times
I enjoy it, but then I'm usually on the hiring manager side.

When I have been interviewed, I have enjoyed it too. Before I started here I interviewed at 3 other places, and since have interviewed for two promotions that I have gotten. Regardless of whether I got the job or not, I found it fun to meet the people and answer questions, especially when I could call on some of my million stories to answer their behavioral/Star questions. I actually would do it for entertainment if not for being conscientious about not wasting people's time.

I think my many years as a supervisor or manager doing interviews made being interviewed a lot easier and more fun.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:49 PM

5,075 posts, read 2,761,733 times
I did go on interviews just for kicks. But not because I enjoyed it but for the experience of interviewing. I wanted to be "in shape" in case I lost my job or had to leave for some reason, so that I could interview for real more confidently and in a more experienced manner. Besides, a potential employer could surprise me and perhaps I would get into a better job.

I was offered the job for about half the interviews that I went to, but chickened out every time and ended up not taking any of the jobs. Many of the opportunities were not worth it but some of them might have been. I was not happy in any of the IT jobs that I had anyway, so I doubt that I would have been happy in any of the ones that I passed up.

At any rate, now that I am retired, I feel that I made the right decision in sticking with my last IT employer for 28 years. And that I practiced my interviewing skills. LOL!

Old 08-24-2019, 11:57 AM

341 posts, read 295,205 times
I like interviewing if it's a conversation between two professionals about an opportunity. Since I have to interview people from time to time, and the point of an interview is to get to know the person a bit and find out if they can do a specific job, a casual, unstructured conversation I have found is the best way for me to accomplish that because if I can get the person to relax and speak freely, that's how you get info needed to make decisions.

I hate, hate, hate with a passion formal, structured interviews with all those silly, vague Interview 101 questions, ie "Give me three weaknesses", "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?", "Can you think outside the box"? Because then they get silly answers back "My biggest weakness is I can't say no when asked to do more work", "In five years I see myself as a key asset to your firm, consistently exceeding expectations and all KPI measures while delivering quality work and improving bottom line results" (don't ask what that means because I have no idea), "I always strive to think outside the box while staying within any strict guidelines, rules, policies and procedures your firm has established for me to adhere to". (lmao!). What exactly is the point of all this BS!?

Old 08-24-2019, 01:40 PM

10,640 posts, read 12,203,446 times
Quote:
I like interviewing if it's a conversation between two professionals about an opportunity. Since I have to interview people from time to time, and the point of an interview is to get to know the person a bit and find out if they can do a specific job, a casual, unstructured conversation I have found is the best way for me to accomplish that because if I can get the person to relax and speak freely, that's how you get info needed to make decisions.
I agree. IF there's a conversation, respect for my experience, and I detect no BS -- fine. I'm still not going to interview just for kicks. But I can go with the flow on those types of interviews.

But, one of the reasons I HATE interviewing is because some interviews -- or at least the ones I've had -- have been nothing like that.

They just read from a script, ask a set number of questions, provide NO feedback -- and half the time they can't even tell you details about the darn position, when a decision will be made, how many people are being interviews, or when the chosen person might start.

Last edited by selhars; 08-24-2019 at 01:48 PM..

Old 08-24-2019, 02:06 PM

135 posts, read 90,956 times
I enjoy dental appointments more than job interviews.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:31 PM

235 posts, read 158,520 times
I have too many gaps to account for and don’t feel like I have anything to bring to the table. Of course not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search