Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 03:55 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,296,977 times

Advertisements

My experience with networking is:

1. Most people don't care and really don't want to hear about my employment situation.
2. Most people are more interested in what they think or want me to do rather than what my job skills and goals are.
3. I explain the type of work I'm looking for, my previous experience and education. Their comeback suggestion is something entirely off the wall like asking me if I've tried applying at Walmart. People don't network to get a job at Walmart.
4. They tell me about a friend in Austin, then proceed to tell me I should move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 04:22 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
My experience with networking is:
Not actually what networking is.

So... the 'hate' of it for some (many perhaps) is not actually understanding it.
That can't help but lead to doing it poorly.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:03 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
Maybe that's because networking ain't what it used to be? Most adults these days don't participate in the fraternal and civic organizations that enabled 20th Century people to interact with employers. Local chapters of organizations like the Lions Club and the Freemasons are folding up around the country, due to the old members dying off and new members not replacing them.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Maybe that's because networking ain't what it used to be?
Nope. It's exactly what it always ever was.

But you do have a point about the HOW and WHERE of people interacting...
and the lack of interest on the part of so many to engage in the overt practices.
That still leaves the less overt practices which have also not changed in millenia.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:49 AM

4,952 posts, read 2,707,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
To answer your question, the fact that networking is the #1 way to find a job:
  • Makes employment a popularity contest rather than a meritocracy
  • Means people who know less successful people are locked into less success
  • Provides cover for racial and gender discrimination
Never thought about it that way. Good points.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:35 AM

732 posts, read 968,563 times
Just love bUU and KC6ZLV posts!

Plus you go to some meeting hoping to meet with some group of engineers, scientists, or other person doing the real work of a company famous for those things and the only representative from a company you really would like to work for is a secretary, an accountant, or a salesperson and they think engineers and scientists are not worth talking to or about.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:46 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,296,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Not actually what networking is.

So... the 'hate' of it for some (many perhaps) is not actually understanding it.
That can't help but lead to doing it poorly.
For the common everyday Joe and Jane, that's exactly what networking is. Networking in it's traditional form is why the wealthy sent their kids to Harvard, Yale, and other Ivy league schools. It works for some people who are in certain occupations. For the rest of us who don't have extended contacts networking is who we know and who we run into. It never hurts to mention to these people that you are looking for a job. But the issue with this is a lot of these people, even in our families, don't have a clue about what other people's jobs are about. So, you mention you are looking for something related to geographic information systems they can't relate and tell you about some help wanted sign they saw, or they really like their job washing semis, and therefore, they think you would love doing that too.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
For the common everyday Joe and Jane, that's exactly what networking is.
I disagree and so will anyone else who actually understands it and how it's done.

Networking is not something that you take up when you need something from someone.
That's just being terribly rude and it's no wonder that it doesn't produce results for you.

If you think you actually do understand I'll ask just one question:
What have YOU done for someone else that would help them?

Old 08-29-2019, 04:40 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,456,695 times
I have not gotten any of my jobs from networking. All of my jobs have come from cold applying.

I've pounded the pavement, going to alumni events, networking events, industry events, etc. It hasn't amounted to a hill of beans. I got some more names on LinkedIn and like 1-2 interviews from alumni networking, but networking has not put a single dime in my pocket.

I'm currently trying to re-evaluate my networking efforts and event attendance ideas.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:43 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,456,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Maybe that's because networking ain't what it used to be? Most adults these days don't participate in the fraternal and civic organizations that enabled 20th Century people to interact with employers. Local chapters of organizations like the Lions Club and the Freemasons are folding up around the country, due to the old members dying off and new members not replacing them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nope. It's exactly what it always ever was.

But you do have a point about the HOW and WHERE of people interacting...
and the lack of interest on the part of so many to engage in the overt practices.
That still leaves the less overt practices which have also not changed in millenia.
Most of those in person networking events are a waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
My last manager, desperate after several of us gave notice within several weeks, went to her social contacts to fill a position that was already vacant with a friend who didn't really have the skills or experience necessary. I wonder how that'll work out for her. /sarc
Probably not well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search