Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2019, 08:39 AM

853 posts, read 649,808 times

Advertisements

So... this happened to me this morning. I woke up at 8.00 a.m. (today is Sunday). I checked my email and I had an email in my gmail account saying this: "This is the last chance to take your Excel exam for whatever company". What! The last chance? This is the first email I've got from this company! And the email was sent at 2.07 a.m.!. The email promised that the exam would not take more than 10 minutes to be completed but I will have a limited time to complete each question, I mean, select an option to answer each question in tight times (1 minute for each question, 10 questions). Because I couldn't understand the "This is the last chance to take your Excel exam for whatever company", I did the exam inmeditely, as quickly as possible, even before taking my breakfast. I finished my exam and I guess my answers got registered by a computer.

After thinking about that... who on earth would give you a link to an Excel exam at 2.07 a.m on Sunday? And who then will evaluate you and decide if you are successful or unsuccessful? The exam was pretty easy for me because I have experience with Excel but let's assume I've got a 4/10, that obviously means I have been unsuccessful. What do you guess will happen then? An automated rejection letter will be sent to my email. Who is hiring me? A human or a computer? Then, if many companies are automating their selection processes, what's the point to have human recruiters? What's the job of the recruiter? Oh What a hero, what a champion! Their job being partly automated and being made by a computer. Who wouldn't love to have his/her job done by a computer? I even go further, If you are automating your selection processes, let's lay off all your recruiters, they are redundant, their duties and responsibilities are being replaced by computers, now they are pretty useless. A company that show this behaviour doesn't take a ... about their candidates and future employees, they show 0 respect for the candidates and recruiters job and duties being made by a computer. Nobel prize for recruiters who will become eventually brainless, following a canned guide to make their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 01:37 PM

23,356 posts, read 18,943,186 times
Who would provide a link to an exam at 2 am? Someone who welcomes and considers candidates from across the globe that's who. The working world does not revolve around your time zone.

How beneficial is this whiny speculation? As another poster so eloquently stated in another thread, what you want and how logical something is or isn't doesn't matter. If you wish to be considered for a position, you follow the steps in a prospective employer's application process and keep your attitude to yourself. They do not care how pointless you think their approach is. When you arrive at the lofty perch of running your own company, you can decide what qualification procedures you'll use to hire people.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-01-2019 at 02:54 PM..

Old 09-06-2019, 02:51 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,768,961 times
The OP is frustrated, which I understand because I've been in those shoes.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:34 AM

12,869 posts, read 9,089,277 times
What other information did it ask for? I cant think of any legitimate reason the first communication from a company be a vaguely threatening "last chance" to take an easy 10 question Excel test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search