Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2019, 07:49 AM

166 posts, read 98,357 times

Advertisements

to call people to interview them for a job position after they posted the job? What if the first day they post it and someone who is perfect for the job and even has experience in it applies, can the recruiter call them for an interview the next day or do they have to wait until longer and how much is this usually or do they have to wait until a certain amount of people applied and how many is this usually?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 12:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,857 posts, read 81,862,596 times
It varies by company and circumstances. In our case I will normally review every day, but have HR wait until after the closing date/time to start contacting those I want to interview. That's usually 3 weeks. On the other hand, if we are slammed with 2-3 openings and need help more quickly I have in the past interviewed people within a few days of the announcement, before it closed. There is no minimum and has not been anywhere that I have worked, there could be one applicant and that one is hired. Not likely, however, except if it's internal promotional only.

Old 09-26-2019, 12:58 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,450,836 times
Many job ads that recruiters place are fake. It's a "ad for resumes". They like having lots of resumes in their database.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:05 PM

166 posts, read 98,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It varies by company and circumstances. In our case I will normally review every day, but have HR wait until after the closing date/time to start contacting those I want to interview. That's usually 3 weeks. On the other hand, if we are slammed with 2-3 openings and need help more quickly I have in the past interviewed people within a few days of the announcement, before it closed. There is no minimum and has not been anywhere that I have worked, there could be one applicant and that one is hired. Not likely, however, except if it's internal promotional only.

They told me in the past that when the job is no longer posted that the position has been filled. I've seen on the site in the past that after 1 week the position is no longer on the site which means someone already got the job. If an employee is eligible for rehiring why do some recruiters choose to never call these people while other recruiters from the same company do?

Old 09-27-2019, 07:23 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,114,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2019 View Post
They told me in the past that when the job is no longer posted that the position has been filled. I've seen on the site in the past that after 1 week the position is no longer on the site which means someone already got the job. If an employee is eligible for rehiring why do some recruiters choose to never call these people while other recruiters from the same company do?
Do all people in your experience always come to the same conclusions for the same reasons? Why do some people like chocolate, others like vanilla? Some people are vegetarian, others like burgers.

As much as some would like it to be so, the employment world is filled with people who use their individual judgment to accomplish fuzzy tasks. There will never be complete consistency in how people do things.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:19 PM

856 posts, read 1,057,771 times
Exclamation How Long Do Recruiters Take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2019 View Post
They told me in the past that when the job is no longer posted that the position has been filled. I've seen on the site in the past that after 1 week the position is no longer on the site which means someone already got the job.

If an employee is eligible for rehiring why do some recruiters choose to never call these people while other recruiters from the same company do?

Replying to your first point:

You or your friend(s) are misinformed....what they are telling you may or may not be accurate.

HR will break the link to an advertised position when they feel they have 'enough' applications/resumes.

'Enough' does not mean they have enough qualified responses; it means most of the time HR has as many applications/resumes they can afford to spend time on while they are busy working all the other duties of their HR jobs. This is an example of HR being process oriented vs results oriented.

So if you go back looking for an advertised job and the link no longer works, that does not automatically mean the job is filled- HR is beginning or continuing to review those applications/resumes that came in and it could be days, weeks or months before a final decision is made.

And you could see the same job advertised again (especially for hourly non-exempt/salaried non-exempt/salaried exempt positions) where it was determined a hire did not work out and HR is posting the same ad for the same job again, a month or six down the road.

So, if you see the job is removed, find a way in since that does not automatically mean the job is filled. The first level screeners may be still going through incoming resumes, those selected are then referred to a senior recruiter, those are then given consideration, a few phone interviews may be happening and finally, the finalist resumes are then sent to the HA who is BUSY and will often PUT OFF looking at them for as much as a WEEK OR TWO before finally looking them over.

The worst that can happen is you are told the job really is filled.

If you are being represented by an agency, tell the 'recruiter' to call someone in HR or the HA directly to determine if the job is actually filled. If not, often, that 'recruiter' can sweet talk that HR or HA to go ahead and receive your resume, most often because it is 'only one more resume'.

And, if you are really 'too late', it is not without merit that if the hire goes wrong, that HR POC or the HA will go back to the last resume they received (that they liked) and call that person in rather than go through the entire stack all over again.

Exceptions to the rule get people hired, usually because we are making things easy for the HR POC or HA.

(Do I need to describe, again, the time I had called with a candidate, was told the HR MGR had a stack of new incoming resumes and did not 'need to pay a fee' since it 'looked like a pretty good stack' of resumes. Being persistent, she finally agreed she did not really want to take the time to look through all those resumes and agreed to see my candidate, instead.)

So on occasion, there are ways of taking advantage of a bad situation.

Paul............

Old 09-30-2019, 08:56 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,259,148 times
How long do recruiters take?

Too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search