Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 12:22 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I realized later that I had the still had the price tag hanging from the underarm of the cute new dress I bought for the interview...(a la Minnie Pearl!) I was offered the job anyway, but I ended up turning it down. Nevertheless....check newly purchased clothes carefully!
Did they ask how much you cost?

Your story reminds me of another embarrassing experience that thankfully did not occur during an interview. I once went shopping and a price sticker got attached to the blouse I was wearing. Later when sitting with a group of friends, they asked me how much did my er um chest cost! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 12:41 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,264,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Did they ask how much you cost?

Your story reminds me of another embarrassing experience that thankfully did not occur during an interview. I once went shopping and a price sticker got attached to the blouse I was wearing. Later when sitting with a group of friends, they asked me how much did my er um chest cost! LOL!
Those pesky price tags!!!

Old 04-06-2010, 01:02 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,900 times
I am a pretty good office comedian. I normally get some good laughs especially from women who I try to charm with a good joke.

We'll, a couple of years of ago, I applied for job that was mine from the posting. I entered the room and the majority of interview board was women. I said to myself, this job is mine. I sat down, answered a few starter questions then I threw in my signature joke. All the women laughed... except the boss, a grumpy old lady, she just stared at me with a serious look. She did not crack a smile, she shot down all of my charm and humor. She completed ruined my normal momentum. I was completely taken aback and bombed the rest of the interview because those jokes were signature and I could not adjust myself. Needless to say, I did not get the job.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
I am a pretty good office comedian. I normally get some good laughs especially from women who I try to charm with a good joke.

We'll, a couple of years of ago, I applied for job that was mine from the posting. I entered the room and the majority of interview board was women. I said to myself, this job is mine. I sat down, answered a few starter questions then I threw in my signature joke. All the women laughed... except the boss, a grumpy old lady, she just stared at me with a serious look. She did not crack a smile, she shot down all of my charm and humor. She completed ruined my normal momentum. I was completely taken aback and bombed the rest of the interview because those jokes were signature and I could not adjust myself. Needless to say, I did not get the job.
Probably wasn't the best of environments and meant to be that you did not get that particular position. You got my curiosity piqued - what is your signature joke if you are ok with sharing?

Old 04-06-2010, 04:46 PM

687 posts, read 1,118,933 times
Well today's interview was not embarrassing, it was humiliating. I had this interview scheduled last Friday being assured that the opening was still available. I even confirmed again today just in case so I wouldn't have wasted a trip in case it was filled or the manager forgot my appointment with him. Well.....after asking about my experience and all the other usual questions about "why" and what is it about this position that interested me, the idiot tells me that they filled it last Friday. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-06-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osuzana View Post
Well today's interview was not embarrassing, it was humiliating. I had this interview scheduled last Friday being assured that the opening was still available. I even confirmed again today just in case so I wouldn't have wasted a trip in case it was filled or the manager forgot my appointment with him. Well.....after asking about my experience and all the other usual questions about "why" and what is it about this position that interested me, the idiot tells me that they filled it last Friday. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!
That was wrong of them to make you go through the effort of an interview when they had already filled the position. I can understand your frustration.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:57 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osuzana View Post
Is it possible they are not really sure they made the right choice? Perhaps they are still interviewing in case the one they picked doesn't work out......sorry you wasted your time and effort, but mark it up as a "practice interview", that's about all you can do.

I had an interview recently for a job where the person they picked admitted after the first day she had lied re her experience so they were seeking a new candidate - THEN they decided to give the liar "a chance" as she was a single mother - I was like WTF as well lol - but oh well they get what they deseve then

If it's readvertised later or they contact me they can forget it - not going to take a job fixing someone else's screwups.....

Old 04-06-2010, 06:56 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,900,650 times
That was really terrible of them to keep the interview after the position was filled.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:05 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
This may be me in 24 hrs. I don't have my summer wardrobe out yet and its supposed to be 90˚. I will not put on my suit jacket until I get there, and I will take a cab there, just so I don't have to sit at a bus stop in the sun. But I'm not expecting the cab to have working A/C.

Yeah it sucks having a interview in the summer when using public transit. Plus on that day I had to extra walking becausse I couldn't find the place so by time I arrived I was very sweaty.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:33 PM

639 posts, read 1,071,273 times
There was a time when my career was going nowhere and I was in the world's most boring job. I got an interview for a great job, except it was located in a part of the country I never dreamed I'd end out living in. But I figured I was desperate enough to overlook such things. So I show up there at the interview site and everyone there was acting old and jaded, as if they were all just waiting to retire. Many long pauses that were hard to fill. But still the job itself seemed decent enough. Then one guy took me aside and said that a much better candidate had interviewed in the last few days (after I had talked to them last) and they had made him an offer, which he had accepted. He even decided to show me this other guy's resume for some reason.

So it all made sense, they were acting uninterested because I wasn't a real candidate. So I went through the motions of the rest of the interview, making no effort to impress anyone, then flew back home and got the generic form letter saying although my qualifications were excellent unfortunately blah blah blah.

Believe it or not, like the others I ended out getting this job. Someone else they were hiring at the same time reneged on them about a month later, so they had an open spot and made me an offer, which I accepted. I stayed for a couple of years, and would have stayed longer had I not gotten a similar job in a more favorable locale for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search