Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 01:23 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Harry Potter, the world's most famous boy wizard, has fallen foul of Israel's rabbis.

Plans to launch the last instalment in the best-selling children's book series in Israel over the Jewish Sabbath have drawn threats of legal action by a religious government minister.

Israeli stores have pledged to go ahead with the release of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" at 2 a.m. on Saturday (Midnight British time on Friday), noting that it will be part of a global media event for a book expected to be the fastest-selling in history.

Harry Potter's Israel launch pits wizard vs rabbis - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 01:42 PM

434 posts, read 1,653,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Harry Potter, the world's most famous boy wizard, has fallen foul of Israel's rabbis.

Plans to launch the last instalment in the best-selling children's book series in Israel over the Jewish Sabbath have drawn threats of legal action by a religious government minister.

Israeli stores have pledged to go ahead with the release of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" at 2 a.m. on Saturday (Midnight British time on Friday), noting that it will be part of a global media event for a book expected to be the fastest-selling in history.

Harry Potter's Israel launch pits wizard vs rabbis - Yahoo! News (broken link)
This drives me nuts as a Jew. That's part of the reason I have a problem with an inflexible, parental like God figure. If someone observes the Sabbath their whole life, I can't picture some supreme being all upset because someone broke the Sabbath once in their life. It's such silliness.

*See, I have issues with all religions.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:10 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
This drives me nuts as a Jew. That's part of the reason I have a problem with an inflexible, parental like God figure. If someone observes the Sabbath their whole life, I can't picture some supreme being all upset because someone broke the Sabbath once in their life. It's such silliness.

*See, I have issues with all religions.
LOL... yeah, I have to agree with that one. Also, don't they have the right to simply wait until Sunday to buy & sell it? Most businesses there (including bookstores & libraries) are closed on Shabbat anyway, so they can just wait a day! And if a non-Sabbath-observing Israeli wants it on Saturday, they can always get it online or at a non-Jewish business.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:10 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,839 times
I know what we should do.. lets take away the freedom to write a book of our choice, lets take away the right to make a movie... these people don't have the ability to think, and it makes me angry

Old 07-21-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I know what we should do.. lets take away the freedom to write a book of our choice, lets take away the right to make a movie... these people don't have the ability to think, and it makes me angry
One question - who are "these people??" Seriously, I'm a tad confused by your post. I think you're misunderstanding the issue, since they're only upset by the release DATE, not the book itself... from the article - ""It is forbidden, according to Jewish values and Jewish culture, that a thing like this should take place at 2 a.m. on Saturday. Let them do it on another day," he told Israel Radio." So they're not saying the book (or movie) shouldn't exist!

Old 07-21-2007, 04:04 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
One question - who are "these people??" Seriously, I'm a tad confused by your post. I think you're misunderstanding the issue, since they're only upset by the release DATE, not the book itself... from the article - ""It is forbidden, according to Jewish values and Jewish culture, that a thing like this should take place at 2 a.m. on Saturday. Let them do it on another day," he told Israel Radio." So they're not saying the book (or movie) shouldn't exist!
https://pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif

Meaning that they are quite happy to sign the contracts and accept the money that JK Rowling generates, but now that the release date coincides with some sabbath oath... now we have a problem???

Why should the publishers respect a Jewish holiday when it is on world wide release?

Old 07-21-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:

Meaning that they are quite happy to sign the contracts and accept the money that JK Rowling generates, but now that the release date coincides with some sabbath oath... now we have a problem???

Why should the publishers respect a Jewish holiday when it is on world wide release?
I never said they should... in fact, I agree that it's a silly argument! But I do have to wonder, would you be using phrases like "these people" and "some Sabbath oath" if it was related to your beliefs? While I think this particular issue isn't worth debating over, I do see the point - since I bet the release date wouldn't be on a time that conflicted with something Christian or "American."

Old 07-22-2007, 06:10 PM

358 posts, read 916,681 times
Quote:

What if the book were released on Sunday? Can you imagine how Christians would scream and holler because the first day of the week is when Christians have chosen to make their sabbath?

Old 07-22-2007, 06:17 PM

562 posts, read 660,487 times
Jews and Christians all getting in an uproar over a book series which depicts FICTIONAL magic, not real occult teachings. How ignorant can it get? People can get out of hand in other countries, but here in the USA we have freedom of religion, and Witchcraft is a documented religion, which incidentally has nothing to do with Harry Potter, despite what some Christian organizations say.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:31 PM

358 posts, read 916,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
Jews and Christians all getting in an uproar over a book series which depicts FICTIONAL magic, not real occult teachings. How ignorant can it get?
Did you read the first post? The objection wasn't over content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism