Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:46 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,691,200 times

Advertisements

Minority within a Minority: Jews of color and their unique challenges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 01:11 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,565,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post

convince me to click on an Aish link

Old 05-17-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
convince me to click on an Aish link :)
Because they got it from the Jewish Press?

Old 05-17-2011, 08:08 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,145 times
Could you imagine a colored Jew as your neighbor? Oy vey.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Could you imagine a colored Jew as your neighbor? Oy vey.
And, why not?

Unlike Christian churches, where there are white churches and black churches, there are no separate shuls, synagogues or temples for white and black Jews.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Because they got it from the Jewish Press?

Nuch besser.

I mean c'mon.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:02 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,469 times
Quote:
And, why not?

Unlike Christian churches, where there are white churches and black churches, there are no separate shuls, synagogues or temples for white and black Jews.
Just another point in favor of sensible living...Absolutely No Religion Or The Worship Of Ancient Gods Allowed. Keep your GAWD to yourself. That's the only place it exists anyway...in one's mind.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:26 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
There are churches that historically reflect their communities, some mainly Black, some mainly White, but (with racist fringe groups aside) are there really exclusively 'White' and 'Black' churches where membership is limited to race?

I mean, there is a huge Black church in Harlem. It is a Black church because it was founded by Black ministers in a majority Black neighborhood. I'm sure churches in Sweden are mostly WHite. Are they White churches.

Also, I seem to recall that in areas that are large enough to support synagogues with an all Black congregation, 'Black synagogues' do indeed exist, just as the synagogue I grew up next to in Westchester county was entirely 'White'.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:05 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
There are churches that historically reflect their communities, some mainly Black, some mainly White, but (with racist fringe groups aside) are there really exclusively 'White' and 'Black' churches where membership is limited to race?

I mean, there is a huge Black church in Harlem. It is a Black church because it was founded by Black ministers in a majority Black neighborhood. I'm sure churches in Sweden are mostly WHite. Are they White churches.

Also, I seem to recall that in areas that are large enough to support synagogues with an all Black congregation, 'Black synagogues' do indeed exist, just as the synagogue I grew up next to in Westchester county was entirely 'White'.
If one were to attend all the churches in the southern United States and then came back and give us a report about how many Blacks they saw in predominantly White churches and another reporting how many Whites they saw in predominantly Black churches...it just doesn't happen. There are a few Blacks who attend big city White churches but go to the rural areas and you don't even see that.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:54 PM

to clarify, there is no major "historically african american" denomination with Judaism, comparable to Af Meth Episcopal, say. There are one or two black synagogues in harlem and south chicago - many of their congregants arent technically jews though IIUC.

More relevantly, there are plenty of the sephardic/mizrahi congregations, though in the US they are usually Orthodox, and belong to the same orthodox synagogue organizations (i hate the word "denominations" for Jewish movements, we arent worried about who is in "communion" with whom, whatever our battles over halacha and theology).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism