Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 05:28 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

My brother renounced Judaism after his confirmation (10th grade), and plans to raise his future children as Atheists... ironically, his live-in girlfriend is 1/2 Asian (Filipina) and 1/2 Persian, but she also doesn't identify with any religion. My family is fine with all of this, since we're not that religious anyway, but it is a tad disappointing that he doesn't call himself Jewish. As for your friend, I guess he just became disillusioned or had a traumatic experience - can't really say without knowing him! Do you know what sect of Judaism he was raised as? I'm guessing Orthodox, since ALL of my non-Jewish friends were invited & welcomed at my Bat-Mitzvah.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:30 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
P.S. Yes, we do consider ourselves "comrades" with the Asian people, since we have so much in common... I went to a private high school which was about 40% Asian & 10-15% Jewish, and we all hung out together. Come to think of it, all but one or two of my school friends were either Asian or Jewish - and haven't you heard of the traditional Jewish Christmas, which consists of Chinese food and a movie?

Old 01-12-2008, 09:44 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Hi there. I am not Jewish. I try to keep informed about all religions, but I am admittedly not an expert in any.

I recently met up with a Jewish friend that I went to Middle and High School with. Back then there was a lot of camaraderie among the Jewish kids and for some reason they let me (a Chinese kid) hang out with them. But there was the Bar Mitzfa (sic) etc and the Jewish this and that. I was excluded from that.

My same friend ended up marrying this woman who converted to Judaism first. Now thirty years later, he tells me that he no longer is Jewish and wants his children to have nothing to do with Judaism. In fact, I could sense a strong sentiment against Isreal.

What is up with that?

I imagine there are similar experiences among members of many religions.
A very close jewish friend of mine, grew up in a fairly liberal household, and became orthodox in his adulthood. I cherish our discussions involving religion, and deeply respect his committment to his faith tradition.
Just as he respects my Catholic faith, that would frown on his attending mass and recieving the eucharist as a professing Jew, I respect the fact that he would not invite me to be part of his morning prayer group.
However, he did invite me to the celebration after his son's bar mitzvah.
It was all dessert!!! Mmmmm

Old 01-12-2008, 09:54 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
I can understand that. I have a friend who was brought up 7th Day Adventist and became disillusioned. But what I saw was open hostility and affirmatively shielding his kids from any aspect of Judaism.
I was brought up Seventh Day Adventist and I sheild my child from them to the point where when I mentioned the name of the religion, my 10 year old asked me what it meant. I do have barely concealed hostility for a group I feel are wing nuts and the presence of them in my life caused alot of problems. I feel as if I escaped insanity when I got away from them.

Your friend might have had a similar experience.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:50 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
. As for your friend, I guess he just became disillusioned or had a traumatic experience - can't really say without knowing him! Do you know what sect of Judaism he was raised as? I'm guessing Orthodox, since ALL of my non-Jewish friends were invited & welcomed at my Bat-Mitzvah.
I was thinking the same thing.
We have friends our age who were raised Reform, changed to Orthodox.
Their kids rejected Judaism altogether, then later changed to Reform.
Other relatives have become totally secular.
It happens.
Quote:
I suppose some define ignorance differently. Some might say the act of learning about a religion is ignorant. Some might say not learning about religion is ignorant.
Yes.
At our kids' (Jewish) Sunday School, the students always learned about all the other great world religions. I'm not sure they ever touched on creationism, though.
And now our kids are grown; what they do or don't do with their knowledge and cultural experiences is up to them.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:11 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryasIS View Post
Zionist teachings do not they believe israel belongs to The jews? if so I agree that biblical but if they teach only jews all pales tines get out your not welcome here then I'm against
you can learn more about why certain jews do not agree with zionist here: A Synopsis of the Israel/Palestine Conflict
True Torah Jews Against Zionism
Neturei Karta - Orthodox Jews United Against Zionism

Old 01-13-2008, 07:19 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,835 times
Quote:
Charo

I read and a watch and I read and I even visit and I think and I listen and I read some more, but I can not sift through all the "noise". You say things like horrible policies, brainwashing, zealous Zionists. You could be absolutely right on, but I can not just simply accept these labels since the other side can simply say the opposite is true.

I'm glad that you have it all sorted out, but it looks a bit fuzzy where I sit and believe me, I spend a lot of time trying to sort it out for myself
Zionist help push for a Jewish state. Many Jews that follow Judaism believe exactly what g-d said. G-d stated that he will bring back the Jews to the land by his time and his accord. The Zionist have pushed and fought to make the change. Even so far enough to help kill the Jews in the holocaust. A lot of Christians are on the side of Zionist ideas because they think they speak for Judaism. Zionist are usually non-practicing Jews with very political background.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:45 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Very interesting thread. I am very seriously considering converting to Judaism.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:45 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,990 times
Ok Ok OK. I just saw this movie last night called the Believers about this Jewish kid who was extremely intelligent and would belligerently question his rabbi and Judaism so much that he became a neo nazi and later come full circle. Amazing stuff. I know it is fiction, but it has shed some light on how I might view religion myself and Judaism in particular. Has anyone seen it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism