Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 02:55 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,362,412 times

Advertisements

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/je...itism-hagaddah

Quote:
"Every time one of the plagues of antisemitism is mentioned, [a person] takes a sip of black coffee," she said. "That is to wake you up to antisemitism." The "Ten Plagues of Antisemitism" are listed by JewBelong as the following:
  1. silence
  2. non-Jewish silence
  3. anti-Israel
  4. Hamas
  5. hiding
  6. stereotypes/scapegoating
  7. tolerating hate
  8. schools
  9. social media
  10. small-mindedness
I think that we will add this to our Seder this year. Very appropriate

Old 04-15-2024, 06:49 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Default Specialized Haggadot

For your specialized guests, here are some additional haggadot.

1. For American Patriots: The book — by two history buffs, Yeshiva University official Rabbi Stuart Halpern and health care executive Jacob Kupetiesky — draws parallels between the Exodus story and the founding of the United States.

2. For the Zionist or the Doubter: The book contains both the traditional text and commentaries that aim to “transform the connection of our seder from the story of God and the Israelites to the story of God and modern Israel.”

3. For Those Wanting to Incorporate Oct. 7 into their Seder: This year’s Passover will be the first since the Oct. 7 attack on Israel reshaped the Jewish world. A range of supplements aim to shape and ease the way the trauma is reflected at the seder table.

4. For Visual Storytellers (and Hebrew Speakers): An Israeli artist collective known as Asufa has for the last decade put out a haggadah featuring colorful and sometimes edgy illustrations by a slew of up-and-coming artists.

5. For Fans of ‘Darth Seder’: Martin Bodek is a historian of the haggadah, and his new “This Haggadah is The Way: A Star Wars Unofficial Passover Parody” preserves the traditional text but has fun with the English translation, referring to matzah as “polystarch puffbread” and asking, “Why is this galaxy different from all other galaxies?”

6. For Mel Brooks Fans: The zany text also grapples with current events, sketching out a debate among comics about the propriety of a ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war and alluding to declining support for Israel among younger demographics.

7. For Families Seeking Contemporary Resonance: Sprinkled throughout the traditional narrative, Kerry Olitzky and Deborah Bodin Cohen’s “The Heroes Haggadah: Lead the Way to Freedom” showcases dozens of Jewish heroes from all walks of life — Ruth Bader Ginsburg; Anat Hoffman, the Israeli gender-equality activist; Volodymyr Zelensky; Jewish NFL star Julian Edelman; Rabbi Angela Buchdahl, the first Asian American rabbi, and Gershom Sizomu, the chief rabbi of Uganda’s Jewish community.

https://jmoreliving.com/2024/04/10/1...this-passover/

Old 04-16-2024, 05:24 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/je...itism-hagaddah

[/list]I think that we will add this to our Seder this year. Very appropriate
A good idea and something should be added about the current hostages.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:03 AM

6,746 posts, read 6,733,588 times
Before I offer a comment, let me say I'm a practicing Christian with a Jewish-born mother and Jewish cousins on that side of the family. I have attended seders at my cousins' houses before, but will not be going this year due to timing. Nonetheless, if i'm off base not being a practicing Jew, please understand.

Aside from Hamas and Non-Jewish silence, this looks very vague. As a Christian Zionist, I have found many Jews are more comfortable pointing out Anti-Semitism that comes from right than the left. I've yet to hear about a Jew on a college campus feeling uncomfortable because a few toothless idiots chanted "Jews will not replace us" at a random rally nearly a decade ago. Yet many are uncomfrotable because of the Islamists and the brainwashing they've given woke allies at many college rallies today. Moreover, the current situation has nothing to do with Netanyahu, love him or hate him, but rather deep Jew hatred among Islamists. They want dead Jews and couldn't care less about the fate of the millions of Jews in Israel if Israel ever did go away, which it won't. This narrative, echoed by Chuck Schumer, that this somehow is a Netanyahu thing is dangerous and naive. The second intifada started after a left of center Israeli PM, Ehud Barak, offer the Palestinians a state for the first time in history. They don't care, they hate Jews regardless. Perhaps an item needed on this list is "naivete".

Old 04-16-2024, 10:47 AM

Meanwhile, Six13 have come out with a new Passover song:
https://youtu.be/7L2vv9uXACk?si=E6J7qKHzX6GCUSWV

Old 04-19-2024, 05:18 AM

Another Passover song that fits the times:
https://youtu.be/Q4LXMOmpIbQ?si=KaHBlSSn69cRJ349

Old 04-19-2024, 10:24 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Before I offer a comment, let me say I'm a practicing Christian with a Jewish-born mother and Jewish cousins on that side of the family. I have attended seders at my cousins' houses before, but will not be going this year due to timing. Nonetheless, if i'm off base not being a practicing Jew, please understand.

Aside from Hamas and Non-Jewish silence, this looks very vague. As a Christian Zionist, I have found many Jews are more comfortable pointing out Anti-Semitism that comes from right than the left. I've yet to hear about a Jew on a college campus feeling uncomfortable because a few toothless idiots chanted "Jews will not replace us" at a random rally nearly a decade ago. Yet many are uncomfrotable because of the Islamists and the brainwashing they've given woke allies at many college rallies today. Moreover, the current situation has nothing to do with Netanyahu, love him or hate him, but rather deep Jew hatred among Islamists. They want dead Jews and couldn't care less about the fate of the millions of Jews in Israel if Israel ever did go away, which it won't. This narrative, echoed by Chuck Schumer, that this somehow is a Netanyahu thing is dangerous and naive. The second intifada started after a left of center Israeli PM, Ehud Barak, offer the Palestinians a state for the first time in history. They don't care, they hate Jews regardless. Perhaps an item needed on this list is "naivete".
Frankly, I trust Christian Zionists significantly less than I trust most so called "antizionists." The latter is generally stemming from a misplaced sense of righteousness drummed up by propaganda. Christian Zionists, however, in my experience love Israel but absolutely detest Jews. I'm never going to trust or respect people who believe that people who do not believe what they do will burn in eternal damnation or whose support of Israel is stemming from their desire to start the second coming with also the convenience of eradicating Jews from their presence.

Some of the most virulently antisemitic families I grew up with in the rural South as the only Jewish person anyone had ever met have grown up into loud Christian Zionists. They're no allies.

While we can't blame Hamas' attack on Bibi, it is absolutely naive to think that Bibi, Ben Gvir, and the whole lot haven't made things worse for generations for the millions of Israelis and millions of Palestinians living in the region, neither of whom is going anywhere.

Old 04-19-2024, 02:48 PM

6,746 posts, read 6,733,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Frankly, I trust Christian Zionists significantly less than I trust most so called "antizionists." The latter is generally stemming from a misplaced sense of righteousness drummed up by propaganda. Christian Zionists, however, in my experience love Israel but absolutely detest Jews. I'm never going to trust or respect people who believe that people who do not believe what they do will burn in eternal damnation or whose support of Israel is stemming from their desire to start the second coming with also the convenience of eradicating Jews from their presence.

Some of the most virulently antisemitic families I grew up with in the rural South as the only Jewish person anyone had ever met have grown up into loud Christian Zionists. They're no allies.

While we can't blame Hamas' attack on Bibi, it is absolutely naive to think that Bibi, Ben Gvir, and the whole lot haven't made things worse for generations for the millions of Israelis and millions of Palestinians living in the region, neither of whom is going anywhere.
Wow, what a load of assumptions. What makes you think Christian Zionists all believe the same things? Sounds like you've stereotyped us all without really understanding the varying and differing perspectives from which we view Israel and Judaism.

It is incredibly naive to think this is about Bibi. The Islamists started the 2nd intifada after Ehud Barak, a left of center Israeli PM, offered Arafat the West Bank and Gaza for a state.

I've learned a lot about Judaism because while I practice another religion, I'm partly Jewish, at least by blood. I'd invite you to learn more about Christianity and Christian Zionists. I belong to a nondenominational church where about 1/4 of the congregation is SE Asian, with a good number of Buddhist converts. Very different experience than say, a Southern Baptist church in Alabama, which is very different than a Lutheran church in the Minnesota, which is all very different than a Catholic Church in NY. There's tremendous diversity in Christianity, and among the reasons why Christians support Israel and Jews. To stereotype us, or assume we have some kind of agenda, suggests a lack of knowledge and ignorance about who we are.

Old 04-19-2024, 04:34 PM

23,164 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

I think Bibi is the best thing that ever happened to Israel, and when I think of his life I get the feeling that future generations will read of his exploits and see him as one of Israel's greatest heroes, but then I am extremely biased when it comes to Bibi, he can do no wrong in my eyes, I simply admire him.

Old 04-20-2024, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I think Bibi is the best thing that ever happened to Israel, and when I think of his life I get the feeling that future generations will read of his exploits and see him as one of Israel's greatest heroes, but then I am extremely biased when it comes to Bibi, he can do no wrong in my eyes, I simply admire him.
Although Bibi has done a lot for Israel, he is losing some of his voter base due to on going hostage crisis (besides his ongoing legal battles).

Many in Israel are adding a page in Hebrew called "Who Knows?" with the names of all those hostages are still being held in Gaza (and are assumed still alive).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism