Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 04:46 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,732 times

Advertisements

I find it interesting that they were the ones who wrote the gospels and that now the Jewish people don't even believe what they wrote. Is it possible that the whole virgin birth, healing leprosy by touching, resurrection etc. was all a plot to keep a certain selected group in charge? Israel seems to get a lot of headlines.

Don't misunderstand me...if I had to pick a superior group in the world right now it would definitely be the people of Israel. They're smarter than everybody else...not just a little bit, a lot smarter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 05:20 PM

360 posts, read 444,595 times
They were converts from Judaism to Christianity, to answer the title, my friend. What are you trying to say by the rest of your post, though?

Old 06-01-2010, 05:23 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,867,976 times
Actually, in the very early years of the church, one had to be a jew to be a christian. Christianity started as an offshoot (read that as sect) of judaism.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:33 PM

460 posts, read 593,345 times
Who actually wrote the gospels is in dispute. Generally, it has been accepted in the theological community that the gospels were penned as early as the late 1st Century and/or early 2nd Century.

As to whether the writers were Jews, I can entertain some doubts in that category as well. The early Christian churches accepted a large number of non-Jews; so, it is possible that contributors to writing the gospels were non-Jews as well.

Remember, when people penned "important" or "significant" writings, they often used well-known names to lend "authority" to their writings.

I don't quite follow your comment about keeping a certain group in charge, although I would agree that your comment can apply across the board throughout history, applicable in nearly every human activity.

As to whether or not the Israelis are smarter than the rest of the world, I have my doubts. The Israeli government does draw a line in the sand and reinforces that stand. Personally, I am not always in agreement with their actions and/or thinking. Of course, I am not in their shoes, surrounded by enemies who would love to annihilate Israel. There must be a very strong psychological impact upon their thinking, and they are certainly not wrong in being paranoid.

In contrast, it would very interesting if South Korea were a bit more like Israel at times, especially in light of the latest North Korean aggression. North and South Korea have been at war for 60 years now, and it is laughable that the North keeps taunting the South and the world that any similar aggression against them is tantamount to war, when the war has never ended.

Comparing the two (South Korea and Israel), Israel is not shy in retaliating aggression with aggression. North Korea tends to back down when faced with aggression, as several precedents have shown. However, aggression tends to escalate aggression with the hope of an end diminishing with each aggressive return.

I would like to see some kind of incorporation of Israel and the Palestinians. In the past, the Semitic people were united against a common enemy: Rome. They had their different religions and politics, but they were able to get along. It is unfortunate that they both needed a common enemy to cement ties between them. I suppose it would take a perfect world to ask the Israeli and their Arab neighbors to cement political and social ties in the absence of a common threat. Cooperate and graduate seems not to be a philosophy that is welcomed in human thinking.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallisdj View Post
I don't quite follow your comment about keeping a certain group in charge, although I would agree that your comment can apply across the board throughout history, applicable in nearly every human activity.
Let me elaborate. The gospels taught the early followers to be meek, turn the other cheek, walk the extra mile, do unto others, love the neighbor, love the enemies, pray for those who curse and despise, to be perfect by selling what one has and giving it to the poor, if sued in court for coat to voluntarily give cloak...if that doesn't give a non believer the upper hand I would like to know how it fails to do so.

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying...I tried for nearly forty years and never could believe all the miracles and stuff...I never will.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:55 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times
In answer to the title line of your thread: Of course they were Jews. Additionally...Jesus Christ was too...and He still is...and always will be.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:22 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
I find it interesting that they were the ones who wrote the gospels and that now the Jewish people don't even believe what they wrote. Is it possible that the whole virgin birth, healing leprosy by touching, resurrection etc. was all a plot to keep a certain selected group in charge? Israel seems to get a lot of headlines.
I've always heard that the author of Luke was a gentile, while the other 3 were jews.

Who would they be intended to keep in charge? From any way of looking at it, it's a pretty asinine conspiracy theory.

If you meant that it was intended to benifit the jews, it's been a spectacular failure. They've had a state for what, 60 years? I can't imagine them hatching a plan that would take 2 millenia to come to fruition, and involve them undergoing horrific genocide. That doesn't say much for their planning.

If you meant that it was meant to keep the jews down, well that doesn't make much sense either. Why would the someody try to introduce a religion that doesn't require jewishness? Why would the current power (Rome) then persecute Christians. Wouldn't they encourage it, but refrain from eventually adopting it?

Quote:
Let me elaborate. The gospels taught the early followers to be meek, turn the other cheek, walk the extra mile, do unto others, love the neighbor, love the enemies, pray for those who curse and despise, to be perfect by selling what one has and giving it to the poor, if sued in court for coat to voluntarily give cloak...if that doesn't give a non believer the upper hand I would like to know how it fails to do so.
Of course it gives the non-believer the upper hand, but abiding by any moral or ethical guidelines will put you at a disadvantage to those who don't if you're chasing money or power.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
I've always heard that the author of Luke was a gentile, while the other 3 were jews.

Who would they be intended to keep in charge? From any way of looking at it, it's a pretty asinine conspiracy theory.

If you meant that it was intended to benifit the jews, it's been a spectacular failure. They've had a state for what, 60 years? I can't imagine them hatching a plan that would take 2 millenia to come to fruition, and involve them undergoing horrific genocide. That doesn't say much for their planning.

If you meant that it was meant to keep the jews down, well that doesn't make much sense either. Why would the someody try to introduce a religion that doesn't require jewishness? Why would the current power (Rome) then persecute Christians. Wouldn't they encourage it, but refrain from eventually adopting it?

Of course it gives the non-believer the upper hand, but abiding by any moral or ethical guidelines will put you at a disadvantage to those who don't if you're chasing money or power.
I'm laughing right now. The behavior they taught and the behavior which the new testament instructs the followers of Christ to follow is absolutely never followed. Who do you know in this country who is meek, turns the other cheek, walks the extra mile, loves their neighbor and their enemies alike, if sued in court for coat voluntarily gives cloak?? It's a no brainer. And the part about selling what they have and giving it to the poor...give me a break.

Adolph Hitler was a Christian...did he ever love his enemies?

Old 06-02-2010, 02:40 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,967 times
Quote:
I'm laughing right now. The behavior they taught and the behavior which the new testament instructs the followers of Christ to follow is absolutely never followed. Who do you know in this country who is meek, turns the other cheek, walks the extra mile, loves their neighbor and their enemies alike, if sued in court for coat voluntarily gives cloak?? It's a no brainer. And the part about selling what they have and giving it to the poor...give me a break.

Adolph Hitler was a Christian...did he ever love his enemies?
Absolutely never? I don't know what kind of christians you're surrounded by, but it's certainly not the same kind that I am. People have their failings, but I'd be lying if I said they didn't try.

And Hitler... well done. That's pretty representative of the average christian.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
I'd be lying if I said they didn't try.
James 2:17
So you see, faith by itself isn't enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism