Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 06:29 PM

14,232 posts, read 9,123,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by overhypedKC View Post
I felt it was much more racist than most other big cities I have visited in the US.
Well, your posting handle tells me what you think of KC in general, and you're entitled to your opinion, and I know that there is a very sharp geographic divide between Kansas City's "white" and "black" sides that everyone acknowledges by reference to the street that forms the boundary between the two.

But I would dispute your assessment here, and it's partly based on what I know of its history and that of some other cities I've visited or lived in.

In contrast to its bigger (at the time) cross-state sibling, whose white political and economic leadership did everything it could to discourage black participation in the political process, the legendary Pendergast machine, while not allowing blacks to run for office, nonetheless treated them as another ethnic bloc to court and incorporate into its voting base. A paper I never wrote for college would have consisted of oral recollections of older black Kansas Citians who were either active in the Pendergast organization at the ward and precinct level or recalled the activity of black Pendergast ward heelers during the machine's heyday. (One of the city's public schools, named for Sen. Thomas Hart Benton when it was built in 1903, had been renamed for one of these functionaries, a local black minister, by the time I came on the scene. That school served the city's old black middle class neighborhood around Benton Boulevard from 27th to 31st streets, at the time the southern boundary of the area open to black settlement, with the exception of an eight-block tract in southeast KC whose white owner had deeded it for black settlement when he died in the 1880s. Until most of its streets were paved in the mid-1970s, you could tell you were in it because the streets suddenly turned into gravel roads with no curbs or sidewalks.)

And I also know how divisive the 1964 public-accommodations law referendum was; some white-only facilities turned themselves "private" after it won at the polls.

But when I said to my cousins on my most recent visit, "Compared to St. Louis, Kansas City is a racial paradise," they all agreed.

I'd even extend that to cities like Chicago, which also had black participation in politics but at a subordinate level, and Philadelphia, where blacks moving to the suburbs in the 1950s, or certain in-city neighborhoods as recently as the 1980s, were greeted by angry mobs and/or bricks thrown through their windows.

I don't recall anything of that sort happening in KC. Now, this may just mean that racism wears a more genteel mask there, but I'm not convinced that the difference can be explained entirely with that notion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 08:10 PM

132 posts, read 171,878 times
Quote:
I felt it was much more racist than most other big cities I have visited in the US.
Was it our mayor or police chief that offended you?

Southern Missouri is crappy in the ethnic relations department but KC is just fine.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:57 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,726,376 times
Quote:
What? That's crazy! Kansas City is one of the most accepting cities I've ever lived in.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:46 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,515,554 times
What? That's crazy! Kansas City is one of the most accepting cities I've ever lived in.

I have only been here in KC for 3 1/2 months, but I have noticed that people try and live in peace with one another. I don't notice racial divide and hatred going on. I live in the southern KC burb of Grandview. Going to the zoo in KC today. Don't feel any trepidation stepping out and being amongst the maddening crowds in town, or anything like that. And, if there was racial tension, shouldn't I feel that kind of tension emanating around me? I don't feel it.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:00 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,726,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

I have only been here in KC for 3 1/2 months, but I have noticed that people try and live in peace with one another. I don't notice racial divide and hatred going on. I live in the southern KC burb of Grandview. Going to the zoo in KC today. Don't feel any trepidation stepping out and being amongst the maddening crowds in town, or anything like that. And, if there was racial tension, shouldn't I feel that kind of tension emanating around me? I don't feel it.
Yep. And if you are a Royals or Chiefs fan, it doesn't really matter what race you are. You are automatically accepted.

Don't mention BBQ restaurants though. Wars were probably started over Joes vs Gates vs AB's.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:32 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,515,554 times
Don't mention BBQ restaurants though. Wars were probably started over Joes vs Gates vs AB's.

I wouldn't try and doubt this, lepoisson!

BTW - the KC Zoo was awesome - my wife and I got free entry with our coupon mailed to us because we're Jackson County residents. Really good zoo - favorites were the red panda, chimps, and the Siberian Tigers. The tigers were big, regal and did the stare-down at you from 7 feet away. Wow - we got our money's worth!

We noted the regular Adult entry price was $7.00 for local residents, $14.00 for visitors from outside the KC Metro area. Would be well worth the price of admission - we'll be coming back later.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:27 PM

78,546 posts, read 60,749,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartfordd View Post
A city with not many infrastructures, entertainments, good mall... basically a not really developed city.
The city has a lot to offer as does the metro. Also, it won't take you 2 hours to get to it.

Is it NYC? No. But it doesn't come with the same issues either.

Ultimately it will be your own preferences that determine your own enjoyment and no one can begrudge you that.

For starters, if you have an open mind, the WWI museum is the best in the WORLD, not just the US. Check it out, most people don't know jack about WWI and there are important lessons there beyond bombs and bullets but also things like civil rights.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:36 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,748,574 times
Is Kansas City winter really dangerous in term of cold temps ?

Old 12-05-2016, 01:18 PM

991 posts, read 1,111,715 times
Quote:
Cold? Yes, but not nearly as cold as some other major US cities.

Dangerous? I suppose if you got stranded outside overnight, and sometimes there is quite a bit of ice on the road, but I wouldn't say it's dangerous normally.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:42 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,657,478 times
Quote:
No, just plan ahead, wear layers, and make sure to have winter gear in vehicle (ice scraper, shovel, extra coats, gloves, sleeping bag, etc). KC winter is very mild compared to anywhere that is in the northern US east of the Rockies. The unfortunate reality, however, is that KC often does act just like a southern city when it comes to winter weather and the general hysteria/unnecessary drama that goes along with it. You learn how to drive in winter conditions much better if you live in an area that expects snowfall amounts of 60-80'' a season on a regular basis, that is for certain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: