Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 03:17 PM

9 posts, read 9,385 times

Advertisements

Schools seem good in North KC and it looks like one can get a lot more bang for their buck.

Anyone here done this commute? Thoughts? Husband was commuting 45 minutes before we relocated. He can change his schedule slightly to avoid traffic between Lenexa and north KC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 03:42 PM

12,968 posts, read 13,702,665 times
My rule of thumb for that city is to take the miles X 2= minutes. I would guess door to door you are looking at the same time on the worst days.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:36 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,293,529 times
It really makes no sense to live in North Kansas City if working in Lenexa. I guess it depends on where in North Kansas City but I would stay with Lenexa (Shawnee Mission) schools.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:54 PM

264 posts, read 251,717 times
Are you sure it's a 45 minute commute? I mean I've never really experienced rush hour traffic on I-35 hour on the Kansas side but it seems you can just bypass the traffic heading towards downtown using I-635 which rarely experiences any heavy traffic throughout the day. Are we talking city of North Kansas City or just Kansas City north of the river here.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:06 AM

142 posts, read 116,543 times
While schools are good in NKC. The districts on the Kansas Side are also very good. Not sure I’d move to NKC for schools alone. Unless it was truly the housing deal of a life tine. I’d recommend staying in Johnson County if working in Lenexa. and that’s coming from someone on the MO side in the northland.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:41 AM

9 posts, read 9,385 times
We are not considering that area only for schools. Johnson county homes just seem so expensive. We moved here from Central IL, and before that we were in Joplin where housing was much cheaper. Our budget is $180k and not many houses pop up under that and when they do, it's a small home. We are starting to feel discouraged so that's why we looked at NKC a bit. Thanks for all feedback!

Old 08-11-2019, 06:59 AM

767 posts, read 1,326,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
It really makes no sense to live in North Kansas City if working in Lenexa. I guess it depends on where in North Kansas City but I would stay with Lenexa (Shawnee Mission) schools.
Lenexa isn’t really zoned to any outstanding schools though. That new elementary that just opened in Lenexa is a big mess because the district didn’t wanna hire enough new teachers so they’re making multiple teachers travel there to teach from other buildings, some from Prairie Village and Roeland Park and they’re working at both buildings on the same day. The schools in eastern Lenexa almost all have behavioral problems and low test scores.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:38 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,293,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
Lenexa isn’t really zoned to any outstanding schools though. That new elementary that just opened in Lenexa is a big mess because the district didn’t wanna hire enough new teachers so they’re making multiple teachers travel there to teach from other buildings, some from Prairie Village and Roeland Park and they’re working at both buildings on the same day. The schools in eastern Lenexa almost all have behavioral problems and low test scores.
Where did you hear of behavioral problems and low test scores? I guess low test scores might be public information, but as far as behavior issues, drugs etc. from what I have seen that is a problem in the northland. I had not heard that about Lenexa at all. I also hadn’t heard anything about low test scores and the ratings I find online don’t reflect that.

The new “Lenexa” school is actually in Olathe school district.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,652,264 times
I-35 S to Lenexa can be a pain during standard morning commute.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:09 PM

78,579 posts, read 60,772,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
I think that if you're going to make such claims that you should source them for the benefit of the person considering a move to the area.

I mean, the rest of us can chuckle or roll our eyes at some of that but they don't know and the purpose is to help people like the OP is it not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City