Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 19,423 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating (my husband works for the BNSF Railway) and we're somewhat looking at homes online and learning what we can about which state is better to live in. We're living in southern CA now. The job will be on the Kansas side, but we were wondering if anyone can enlighten us as to the tax situations in both states. If we live in Missouri, will we pay taxes in both states? What about sales tax, or income taxes, or property taxes? (in both states) Any adivce would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 11:10 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Well, you will pay income taxes in both state, but each state gives a credit for taxes paid to the other state. In general, taxes area slightly higher in Kansas.

As far as places to live. I’m not sure if your husband will work at the BNSF office or will travel a lot, but BNSF in KCK is right off 635 and easily accessible to suburban areas of the Northland in MO and Johnson County in KS. Those areas will be more built up and upscale suburban areas. If you want a more rural suburban lifestyle, you might look into western Wyandotte County (KCK).

In general, it all pretty much evens out. I simply would not base buying a home on taxes alone. Find an area and home you like first.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:09 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,249,721 times
I'd check out Johnson County. Overland Park always makes the list of Money Magazines Best Places To Live.

I prefer living on the Kansas side, specifically in Johnson County. The Shawnee Mission and Blue Valley school districts (both Johnson County, depending where you live - the older areas are Shawnee Mission and are in the northern part of Johnson County, the newer areas are Blue Valley and are in the southern part of Johnson County) are highly rated school districts.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:39 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,502,574 times
Ditto luzianne.

But I also agree with " I simply would not base buying a home on taxes alone. Find an area and home you like first. "

If you are coming from SoCal, I'm going to go out on a limb and bet that you will like Johnson County more than you like other areas around KC.

But as you will see here, there are people who simply detest it and will let you know it. Then there are those of us who wouldn't live anywhere else.

Definitely spend some time looking around for what feels most comfortable for you.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:16 PM

7 posts, read 37,494 times
I'd never recommend the double-taxation scenario here in the metro area of Kansas City. When my husband and I have done that, we've been gouged -- yes, there are credits, but you still end up paying more in taxes due to living in one state and working in the other. AND, if you live or work in Kansas City, MO, you pay an additional excise tax. Ick.
If safer environs, great schools and lots of things to do, family-style, are your focus, definitely JoCo or Western Wyandotte. There are great things to say about Eastern metro KC -- Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, etc., but then there's that dreaded tax thing again. Really, the taxes usually even themselves out in this area, whether in property taxes + sales tax + whatever else -- they are a sum total that equals out in the end, or very nearly so. Like Luzianne and Samantha said -- find a neighborhood and go with it! My perspective is based in southern Johnson County but started out in south KC, years ago, so I'm "skewed" and admit to the bias. Good luck!

Old 04-09-2009, 07:13 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchellHomes View Post
AND, if you live or work in Kansas City, MO, you pay an additional excise tax.
1%, right off the top.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:42 PM

367 posts, read 817,628 times
Yep - if I were working on the Kansas side, and I had a choice, I'd live on the Kansas side, too - the two-state tax thing (and the 1% tax in KCMO) is just a hassle that you should avoid if you can (I did that when I moved to KCMO originally - lived in KCMO, worked in KCK... man, I was glad when I stopped working over there).

But I agree with KCMO - find a place you like and live in it - if you find, for example, Parkville MO is for you, then live there and enjoy it. Just get a good accountant.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,540 times
Hi I am getting job in cerner in Hillcrest and still I am confused where do take apartment. I have 2 years daughter too.so I planed to stay in 655 minor mo kansas city.please advice me

Old 10-09-2016, 10:21 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kancho View Post
Hi I am getting job in cerner in Hillcrest and still I am confused where do take apartment. I have 2 years daughter too.so I planed to stay in 655 minor mo kansas city.please advice me
That's a quiet, working class modest area. I don't really think there is anything wrong with it. It's probably a pretty good area if you need to stay in that price range close to Cerner. Areas to the east of I-49 there can get sketchy, but if you stay in Redbridge, Waldo area and over in Kansas for your local shopping etc, you will be fine. You can also drive to Lee's Summit and Raymore/Belton for retail and Truman Corners in Grandview is being nicely revitalized with new retail and restaurants. I would be careful in areas such as the Blue Ridge corridor between 87th and I-49 (Ruskin area and parts of Hickman Mills). Those are high crime areas and mostly section 8 housing.

Live there for a year and get a better feel for the metro area then you can make more informed decision based on your needs/likes, what you want to spend and how far you want to commute.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:42 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,461,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchellHomes View Post
I'd never recommend the double-taxation scenario here in the metro area of Kansas City. When my husband and I have done that, we've been gouged -- yes, there are credits, but you still end up paying more in taxes due to living in one state and working in the other. AND, if you live or work in Kansas City, MO, you pay an additional excise tax. Ick.
If safer environs, great schools and lots of things to do, family-style, are your focus, definitely JoCo or Western Wyandotte. There are great things to say about Eastern metro KC -- Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, etc., but then there's that dreaded tax thing again. Really, the taxes usually even themselves out in this area, whether in property taxes + sales tax + whatever else -- they are a sum total that equals out in the end, or very nearly so. Like Luzianne and Samantha said -- find a neighborhood and go with it! My perspective is based in southern Johnson County but started out in south KC, years ago, so I'm "skewed" and admit to the bias. Good luck!
Someone might as well mention that the 1% is in KCMO city limits only. So you can live north of the River, in Parkville, Riverside or Gladstone, and not pay it. And JMitchell plugs Lee's Summit and Blue Springs (which would not have a reasonable commute, IMO) without mentioning that these places would also be exempt from any 1% city tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City