Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 03:31 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,966,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Smokehouse is our regular go-to BBQ place (get The Crispy) but the OP specifically asked for places close to I-70. Bryant’s requires a bit of logistical planning for us, but it is my all time fave. I wish they hadn’t closed at Ameristar and in KCK.
Do you like the Smokehouse? I actually mixed about it. It tasted like supermarket BBQ I get up here in NYC metro, which is not bad. But I was thinking KC BBQ suppose to be special.

I just mention Smokehouse because his thread is a year old, and then someone just bumped it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 05:39 PM

165 posts, read 144,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Well, the P&L District may still be a fiscal millstone draped around City Hall, but at least this gives R. Crosby Kemper III one less reason to hate it.
Funny! Whether or not it remains a financial millstone, I do not know. Yet another high rise apartment building is under construction within the development. I can say with some certainty, however, the P&L District has been the catalyst for a lot of very good things going on in downtown Kansas City so it is at worst a two-edged sword regardless of R Crosby Kemper's (former?) disposition towards it. I was downtown last Saturday and was delighted to see a totally packed streetcar and an abundance of street life. A little off topic but worth noting.

Old 10-05-2022, 05:50 PM

6,822 posts, read 11,556,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Do you like the Smokehouse? I actually mixed about it. It tasted like supermarket BBQ I get up here in NYC metro, which is not bad. But I was thinking KC BBQ suppose to be special.

I just mention Smokehouse because his thread is a year old, and then someone just bumped it.
We like Smokehouse. It’s convenient to where we live. But it is not in the top tier of KC barbeque, not by a long shot.

Old 10-05-2022, 07:08 PM

14,191 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Retiree View Post
Funny! Whether or not it remains a financial millstone, I do not know. Yet another high rise apartment building is under construction within the development. I can say with some certainty, however, the P&L District has been the catalyst for a lot of very good things going on in downtown Kansas City so it is at worst a two-edged sword regardless of R Crosby Kemper's (former?) disposition towards it. I was downtown last Saturday and was delighted to see a totally packed streetcar and an abundance of street life. A little off topic but worth noting.
Very much so! Thanks for the report. The three apartment towers, I suspect, contribute a great deal to the added vitality.

When I visited it in 2015, the first of the towers was under construction, and its supermarket was operating as a huge loss leader (the developers of the district knew that without one, it would be harder to persuade Kansas Citians to move into the apartments, so it recruited an operator for it before starting work on the apartments).

The "fiscal millstone" part refers to the bonds floated to build it, totaling $295 million. $120 million of that total went to upgrading the sewer system in the South Loop area, but that still left $175 million for the Cordish-built entertainment complex itself. The idea was that sales tax revenue from businesses in the development would pay off the bonds, but the businesses didn't attract the traffic needed to generate those revenues, so the city had to make up the difference out of the general fund. I don't know if revenues have risen to the point where that's not the case yet. But when I wrote my article on the P&L district that year, the city had just refinanced the bonds to stretch the payments out over a longer term.

I quoted Kemper in the story. He delivered a good zinger or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City