Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2022, 07:50 AM

120 posts, read 132,294 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are moving to Kansas City but we are looking into Overland Park and our dream house is over there. Do you think they will face water issues? I heard that Kansas is facing a water issue but I would think the Kansas City area would face it better. I'm posting this in the Kansas forum too.

Last edited by AlexZaz.; 09-21-2022 at 08:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 07:56 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,757,073 times
No.
They typically get 42 inches of rain a year, above the national average. That’s quite a lot.
I don’t see that changing.

Old 09-21-2022, 10:15 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Most areas of Kansas will be facing a poor long-term outlook for water as average temperatures increase, and drought becomes much more common and severe. Kansas City metro area will have less overall issues, but a high likelihood exists that water rates will be increasing substantially over time as infrastructure ages along with other factors.

Old 09-21-2022, 10:53 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
The majority of the Kansas City area gets their water from the Missouri River. It’s not drying up any time soon. I’ve lived here over 50 years, and the only times I recall any sort of water conservation issues was during the 1993 flood when the water treatment plant was threatened, and maybe a couple extremely dry summers (in the 80s) where the demand was greater than the treatment plant could keep up with.

Granite Stater is right, though, that water rates are increasing due to infrastructure replacement.

If you’re in love with Overland Park, have you looked in Missouri north of the river? You can get a lot more bang for your buck up here.

Old 09-22-2022, 05:43 PM

16,079 posts, read 10,744,030 times
No. I get 11 annual inches of rain. If they get 42 inches that's like a flood here. There are big rivers there, as well.

Old 09-23-2022, 12:47 PM

146 posts, read 152,315 times
I doubt it.

Old 09-25-2022, 10:54 AM

165 posts, read 143,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
The majority of the Kansas City area gets their water from the Missouri River. It’s not drying up any time soon. I’ve lived here over 50 years, and the only times I recall any sort of water conservation issues was during the 1993 flood when the water treatment plant was threatened, and maybe a couple extremely dry summers (in the 80s) where the demand was greater than the treatment plant could keep up with.

Granite Stater is right, though, that water rates are increasing due to infrastructure replacement.

If you’re in love with Overland Park, have you looked in Missouri north of the river? You can get a lot more bang for your buck up here.
I would not be so optimistic about the Missouri River. It's not drying up but as the climate warms, most of what is left of the glaciers in its headwaters are disappearing as are permanent snowfields. Most of the snow cover in the mountains, which sustains the Missouri during the hot and dry summer months, is starting to disappear in Colorado (and hence the Platte River tributary) and Wyoming by early July and now and by late August in Montana. The Missouri and its tributaries do not pick up significant volumes of water crossing the Plains so some kind of reduction in flow similar to what is seen in western watersheds like the Colorado River is predictable for the eastern Rocky Mountain watersheds and that includes the Missouri River. I doubt, however, if any of that makes a difference on where someone would choose to live in Kansas City.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:49 PM

264 posts, read 250,400 times
Seeing that you are coming from Phoenix, I think the outlook looks a lot better in the Midwest in general
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: