Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2022, 07:48 AM

5 posts, read 14,191 times

Advertisements

I am a single Asian man, will land my new job which is located at Independence MO soon.
I live in Iowa now. The new employer does not offer relocation assistant.

I do not have wife or kid; an apartment may be too large for me.
Where to rent a room/studio? I do not mind share with a roommate.
How much will be the total cost per month? (rent+utility+WIFI+laundry)

Kansas City has city income tax. If I live out of the city, like Independence MO, whether I can waive the city income tax?
Kansa City has a high crime rate, which areas should be avoided for looking the room/studio?
I have my own car, do not need the public transit.

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2023, 10:55 AM

6,815 posts, read 11,536,435 times
If you live OR work within the city limits of Kansas City, MO, you will have to pay city earnings taxes. If neither applies, you don’t pay. If your job is in Independence, then just don’t live in KCMO. Easy!

It’s impossible to give you a range of costs. The price of apartments can vary greatly. Utility usage varies.

As far as what areas to avoid, there are plenty of threads here that discuss that, and all the “bad” areas then are still bad.

Old 01-02-2023, 11:36 AM

10,300 posts, read 6,818,131 times
You'll be alright. Just remember, the guy's name is MAHOMES!

Old 01-02-2023, 03:06 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Independence doesn't have a lot in the way of apartment complexes I'd recommend.
There are a couple of complexes in the area next to the hospital and Independence Center mall that are alright. It's a pretty nice, convenient area.

If you don't mind the commute, the so-called "northland" (any Missouri-side areas north of the Missouri River) has more apartment options as does Johnson County, Kansas.
Lee's Summit is a nice area if you can find any rentals there of the kind you're looking for.
I'd avoid East Kansas City (south of the river) and adjacent Raytown and the parts of Independence nearest those.

Studio apartments look to start in the upper $600's to upper $700's per month.
I don't know much about just rooms to rent or current utility rates.

Old 01-02-2023, 04:04 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,536,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post

If you don't mind the commute, the so-called "northland" (any Missouri-side areas north of the Missouri River) has more apartment options as does Johnson County, Kansas.
Since the OP has expressed concern about the KCMO earnings tax, he needs to be cautious when looking “north of the river” as large parts of it are in KCMO and would make him subject to it. He needs to look at the cities of North Kansas City, Riverside, Parkville, Gladstone or Liberty.

Old 01-02-2023, 04:16 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Since the OP has expressed concern about the KCMO earnings tax, he needs to be cautious when looking “north of the river” as large parts of it are in KCMO and would make him subject to it. He needs to look at the cities of North Kansas City, Riverside, Parkville, Gladstone or Liberty.
Agreed. The city services will generally be better in the suburbs as well.
The only other thing is that while the earnings tax isn't a huge deal I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to avoid the extra cost.

Old 01-03-2023, 03:36 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,612 times
Independence has a number of newer/nicer apartment complexes, especially in the southeast portion of town. That area also has the most retail, along with a large medical center and medical offices. It would be best to use an apartment rental site for specifics concerning rates and amenities.

I suggest using Google street view to get a feel for any prospective neighborhood. To learn more about Independence view some of these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/@IndependenceMissouri/videos

Old 01-05-2023, 03:36 AM

5 posts, read 14,191 times
Thank you very much for all the replies!

My new employer also has office in the Lee's Summit. I could work in that office.
I can rent a room or studio around Lee's Summit. Any recommend? I am brand new to the Kansas City areas.
If I live in KS and work in MO, I think I need to pay state income tax to both KS and MO. So, I prefer to live in the MO side.

I used to work in the NJ/NYC areas. The rent of apartment is very expensive.
But some families are willing to rent a room for a single person. The rent will be much cheaper.
I wonder whether the suburb of KCMO families is willing to rent a room for a single person?
If yes, where can I find the related information?

Many thanks!

Old 01-06-2023, 08:31 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,114,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedeng002 View Post
Thank you very much for all the replies!

My new employer also has office in the Lee's Summit. I could work in that office.
I can rent a room or studio around Lee's Summit. Any recommend? I am brand new to the Kansas City areas.
If I live in KS and work in MO, I think I need to pay state income tax to both KS and MO. So, I prefer to live in the MO side.

I used to work in the NJ/NYC areas. The rent of apartment is very expensive.
But some families are willing to rent a room for a single person. The rent will be much cheaper.
I wonder whether the suburb of KCMO families is willing to rent a room for a single person?
If yes, where can I find the related information?

Many thanks!
Lee's Summit has some nice areas. Better to live on the Missouri side. Rent is outrageous in Johnson County, Ks. All of the KC suburbs have some nice and some not-so-nice areas. Ask some of the people you will be working with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City