Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 03:18 PM

5 posts, read 14,716 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
My family and I will be moving to the KC Metro in June. We are an interacial couple with two young children. I'll be working at the Kansas City VA hospital, and DH will be working from home. What suburb do you think would most ideally fit us: Lee's summit or Overland Park? I appreciate all responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 03:48 PM

543 posts, read 2,309,521 times
You might want to check into Raytown. About 15 minutes away from the VA. Many interracial families in the area.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:21 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Raytown and Independence are the closest suburbs to the VA. Lee's Summit's really nice, and would be a little more convenient to work than Overland Park. Taxes can be a little weird when you live in one state and work in the other. Many people do it, though.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:06 PM

Thank you all for your responses. With regard to Raytown, we ruled it out due to it's poor school performances. Good public schools are very important to us. And regarding Independence, although it's the closest suburb, most parts of it seem less safe. I admit that we've only visited the KC metro once, so please correct me if I'm wrong about Raytown and Independence....

Old 03-28-2009, 05:14 PM

886 posts, read 2,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom27 View Post
Thank you all for your responses. With regard to Raytown, we ruled it out due to it's poor school performances. Good public schools are very important to us. And regarding Independence, although it's the closest suburb, most parts of it seem less safe. I admit that we've only visited the KC metro once, so please correct me if I'm wrong about Raytown and Independence....
I wouldn't recommend those areas...

If you are concerned with being close I'd say Lee's Summit would be best.

Other areas I think are good tho are Waldo neighborhood (schools tho you may have to go private) and Liberty (but it isn't exactly the closest).

All of those would be fine, I honestly don't think an interracial couple would have problems in many places at all... maybe way far out u might get some looks...

Old 03-28-2009, 10:33 PM

543 posts, read 2,309,521 times
Raytown Elementary schools aren't bad, its the darned high schools. Indep schools are good . LS is okay if you like cookie cutter neighborhoods. My kids went to private school until HS, was very disappointed. I graduated from the Raytown District in the early 70's when Raytown was one of the best districts in the state. Grandson is now in Raytown schools and daughter is very pleased with the switch she made with him from private to public. She was worried due to her experience at one of the high schools, but so far has been very impressed.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:03 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
I can't imagine Independence or Raytown being any worse than Waldo. Waldo's got a little bit of the cool factor, but that's about it.
I live in Independence, and think it's fine for the most part. I'd avoid most areas north of 23rd street for living, though none of it feels terribly dangerous at all.
Even though it's not my favorite suburb, Independence's bad rap gets old after a while.
Lee's Summit might be more palatable to newcomers, since it's grown rapidly in recent years. You don't have such a large portion of the population who's lived there for generations.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:38 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Much of SE Independence is very nice and it's in the Blue Springs school district which is great.

Lee's Summit offers more than people think. It's not near as cookie cutter as the Kansas suburbs for example.

They have a very neat downtown area that is surrounded by well kept older homes, they have tons of residential lake communities, and they have some of the largest new urbanism developments in the metro area.

Raytown is also OK. I would stick to the north and east sides of it though.

Blue Springs is nice too and it would be a straight shot to the VA hospital.

As far as the interracial couple thing, I think Lee's Summit is by far the most diverse new suburb in the metro and is by far the suburb of choice for middle class black families.

But you would be totally fine in any part of metro KC on either side of the state line as far as that goes. I might stay away from the exurbs like Greenwood, Grain Valley etc, but even then, I doubt you would have any problems.

I would say it sounds like you would really like Lee's Summit, southeast Independence and Blue Springs. All are new suburban areas with good schools.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:18 PM

Thank you all for your responses! I especially thank KCMO for your helpful comments! I think we will move to Lee's summit and rent, then we'll explore the area and pinpoint which area to buy a house in.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:39 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
I would highly recommended the new Longview Farms Apartments

AMLI New Longview Apartments in Lee's Summit, MO Community Overview AMLI Residential Luxury Apartment Homes Lee's Summit

It's part of the "new urbanism" New Longview Development. Longview Farms was a large and very historic farm built by and for some of KC's wealthiest back in the early 1900's. Now much of it has be surrounded by suburban development. But the farm itself and the buildings on the land are part of a master plan to create a walkable, interesting community in the suburbs.

Here are the apartments:

Here is some of the housing which have grid streets, detached garages etc.

http://photos.imageevent.com/kcphotos/kansascitymissourisuburbs/websize/IMG_3228_mod.jpg (broken link)

Here is Longview Elementary School which serves the area.

http://photos.imageevent.com/kcphotos/kansascitymissourisuburbs/websize/IMG_3215_mod.jpg (broken link)
http://photos.imageevent.com/kcphotos/kansascitymissourisuburbs/websize/IMG_3213_mod.jpg (broken link)

Plus, you are within walking distance of the Longview Community College and its resources and you are basically right on Longview Lake, a large recreational lake with a beach, bike trails, boat rentals etc. I-470 is a few minutes away and you are only a mile or so from the major 350/470 retail area which as a target, lowes, best buy, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City