Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 08:22 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,463,545 times

Advertisements

The nice things were well earned. That day, they certainly made a proud showing for the Volunteer State. It's one of those memories that sticks with one. You remember most the ones who showed up when you'd just gotten bodyslammed. The twister left a quarter mile path in which basically nothing remained standing. Anyone who came that far to help was sure to be memorable.

I base the observation about manners and accents on my own style. I was raised with definite notions about how one spoke to one's elders. My grandfather was an executive with a chain of nursing homes, and Kansas has an enormous amount of elderly people anyway, so I got a lot of practice. The result is that when I am back home, I see how people react to this style, even though I'm now in my early fifties. If it opens doors for me, I predict it would open them for you. (It has an even more amazing effect in Canada, but that's another story.)

Reckon you'll enjoy it there a lot. Some Kansans are kind of taciturnly gruff, but they would almost all help you find something, or otherwise steer you right, even if they weren't otherwise chatty. They often are smiling inside but aren't demonstrative about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 10:14 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,501,432 times
Reckon you'll enjoy it there a lot. Some Kansans are kind of taciturnly gruff, but they would almost all help you find something, or otherwise steer you right, even if they weren't otherwise chatty. They often are smiling inside but aren't demonstrative about it.

I have met some fantastic people in Kansas, indeed.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:34 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,167,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I base the observation about manners and accents on my own style. I was raised with definite notions about how one spoke to one's elders.
I don't really think saying "sir/ma'am" is universal in Kansas, certainly was strongly discouraged in my household, where such verbiage was regarded as unctuous and insincere at best, lightly offensive at worst.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:02 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,463,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post
I don't really think saying "sir/ma'am" is universal in Kansas, certainly was strongly discouraged in my household, where such verbiage was regarded as unctuous and insincere at best, lightly offensive at worst.
Nor do I think it's universal. I don't think much of anything is universal except, for example, that we are all human beings. But I was raised that way, and I find that it brings mostly positive reactions when I'm back home. If that wasn't your experience, okay.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:58 PM

16 posts, read 23,435 times

Old 01-29-2017, 03:15 PM

4,143 posts, read 3,058,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
It has been a number of years since I read it. I will have to dig it out of one of about a dozen boxes full of books and reread it.
I found the book, and just finished reading it today.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:56 PM

mshultz--How did you like reading it the second time?

Old 01-30-2017, 05:21 PM

4,143 posts, read 3,058,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
mshultz--How did you like reading it the second time?
I have mixed feelings about it. I would have preferred more emphasis on current events, and less on history. I also think it would have been a better book had he selected a Kansas county that was growing in population, instead of shrinking. The overall tone of the book is too negative.

While I like to read books about traveling (I am of the Bilbo Baggins school of thought about traveling; Travel is full of unpleasantness and missed meals), I find that I cannot really relate to the authors of these books. I would be better able to relate to travel authors who visit the local churches, rather than the local bars.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:20 PM

I liked the book, but found it a long, at times difficult read. I'm glad I had the patience to stick with it, though. It did make want me to travel all the way from my home state of Tennessee to spend some time in the Flint Hills. I've had a thing for all things Kansas since (1) I saw the Wizard of Oz; (2) I visited my uncle who was in the Air Force and stationed at Forbes Field in Topeka in 1966-67; and (3), I passed though the state a couple of times on road trips and spent a couple of nights and did a little sight seeing there. I'd love to take some trips around the whole state. Say what you will about Kansas--good or bad--but to me its the middle of the middle of America, the heartland of the heartland, and I can't get enough of grain elevators, silos, looking as-far-as-the-eye-can-see horizons, small towns, and rural pastoral scenery. I've had a hard time finding good books about Kansas, novels set in Kansas, etc. If anyone has some recommendations, I'd love to hear them!

Old 02-02-2017, 12:50 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
I liked the book, but found it a long, at times difficult read. I'm glad I had the patience to stick with it, though. It did make want me to travel all the way from my home state of Tennessee to spend some time in the Flint Hills. I've had a thing for all things Kansas since (1) I saw the Wizard of Oz; (2) I visited my uncle who was in the Air Force and stationed at Forbes Field in Topeka in 1966-67; and (3), I passed though the state a couple of times on road trips and spent a couple of nights and did a little sight seeing there. I'd love to take some trips around the whole state. Say what you will about Kansas--good or bad--but to me its the middle of the middle of America, the heartland of the heartland, and I can't get enough of grain elevators, silos, looking as-far-as-the-eye-can-see horizons, small towns, and rural pastoral scenery. I've had a hard time finding good books about Kansas, novels set in Kansas, etc. If anyone has some recommendations, I'd love to hear them!
I loved the book. So much.... that I found Marci Penner. Marci has spent much of her life visiting every small town in Kansas and written books about places to visit, etc. in small towns scattered across Kansas. She is on Facebook. You can 'follow' her for more information. I hope to take a road trip to the Flint Hills and other parts of KS. I am now living in my home state of Indiana after 40+ years in south Florida. I love the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas