Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 02:16 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,536,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Hi. Just a quickie. My application to join the Kansas History Geeks Facebook Page has been approved.

My goodness, I thought they were going to ask for a police clearance certificate.
That’s great. I wondered if you had just given up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2024, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 54 times
Quote:
Hi. I've been racking my memory from 45-plus years ago with regard to a wooden diving platform atop a metal structure from which I and some neighborhood kids dived/jumped from in - I think but am not certain - Big Hill Lake a few miles outside Cherryvale. The platform was not connected to a pier if I recall, and one had to swim out aways to get to a ladder leading to the actual platform. This is not life-threatening but it's one of those nagging memory things that have been keeping me awake nights.

IS or WAS there such a platform in the above lake mentioned?
the same question with me.

Old 04-18-2024, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 15 times
Quote:
Hi. I've been racking my memory from 45-plus years ago with regard to a wooden diving platform atop a metal structure from which I and some neighborhood kids dived/jumped from in - I think but am not certain - Big Hill Lake a few miles outside Cherryvale. The platform was not connected to a pier if I recall, and one had to swim out aways to get to a ladder leading to the actual platform. This is not life-threatening but it's one of those nagging memory things that have been keeping me awake nights.

IS or WAS there such a platform in the above lake mentioned?
maybe you are right.

Old 04-18-2024, 09:06 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,900,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPO41vKG View Post
the same question with me.
Hi. You mean you're wondering the same thing about there being a diving platform in Big Hill Lake?

For me it's a memory (of several) that come and go and sometimes nag at me as to where certain things occurred. It would have been mid-1976 when this particular memory occurred because the song, Silly Love Songs as well as other popular songs of the time, were being blasted from the loudspeakers of a kiosk (?) on the shoreline. My friends and I were among the many people (mainly kids) who were taking advantage of cooling off in the lake on quite a hot day. That diving platform really sticks out in my mind as I was rather nervous of jumping from it into the lake. My several friends and I decided to daisy-chain by holding hands and jumping in after the count of three.

Old Today, 10:41 AM

23,458 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Vivian Vance (Ethel Mertz from "I Love Lucy") was born in Cherryvale.
My first thought, too. The silent film star Louise Brooks was as well, and grew up across the street from Viv.
I learned this years ago during a road trip from Kansas City to Dallas (don't ask) when we made a stop at the Cherryvale Historical Museum.
Unfortunately, Viv and Louise have to share space with the 'Bloody Benders', a family of serial killers that lived there in the 1870's. Cherryvale used to host a festival called 'Bender Days' every year that celebrated them. We all have our priorities...

https://www.bing.com/alink/link?url=...12741205549248
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas