Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 06:19 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,644,342 times

Advertisements

Septic systems are very low maintenance under the right conditions - correct size, perc, gravity, and common sense (don't kill the bugs, don't flush anything other than toilet paper even if it says septic safe).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 12:28 PM

16,378 posts, read 10,533,388 times
No doubt. Our spetic is a billion years old and drains downhill into our field. It is working fine. However I dread the inspection when we go to sell, a problem amd it's $15,000.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:46 PM

35,229 posts, read 31,569,052 times
This may just be in our neighborhood from where most of the houses are on a hill but the septics are actually in the front yards, so when they have problems you have a backhoe in your front yard and a torn up lawn for months.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:11 PM

That's fairly standard. If the waste has to move uphill and sometimes that's the only option, it requires a special pump. Pumps wear out which costs $$$ and use electricity which costs $. Having a septic system that requires a pump harms the resale of the house. It's also inconvenient ... no electricity ... no pump ...

Old 11-06-2015, 02:50 AM

16,378 posts, read 10,533,388 times
Yep, gravity is your friend.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:05 AM

510 posts, read 1,395,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenladybug817 View Post
I'm not certain who services outside the city, but we have Charter here in my area of town. According to the channel lineup I looked at, RedZone SD and HD are both available at the Gold level package.
Much of the area around Johnson City is serviced by Comcast which has been designated by some surveys as the one of the "most hated companies in the US". Historically cable providers all seem to cluster near the top of such surveys.

Here is some food for thought: Stop the Cap! Comcast Steamrolls Arkansas, Louisiana, Tenn. and Virginia With More Usage Caps Starting 12/1 •

This "gov" site takes some time to load but once it finishes grinding away you can get a feel for the Comcast coverage by zooming in on JC area. There are some small coverage areas in and around Kingsport that are obviously in error- those areas are exclusively Charter and CenturyLink service areas.

Broadband Map - Provider Coverage - National Broadband Map

Old 11-06-2015, 08:39 AM

Jim that's a scary development. I watch Netflix and stream Sling TV for my cable. I'd say my household streams about 2 hours a day for all of us. Comcast has only started providing data usage online beginning 11/1/15. So in 5 days I've used 47 GB... 9.4 per day. Over 30 days that averages to 282GB.

I'm currently seeing this on my account... "Note: Enforcement of the 250GB data consumption threshold is currently suspended."

Looks like I may have problems.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:20 AM

677 posts, read 1,080,509 times
Thankfully Charter hasn't yet instituted data caps but I'm sure the day is coming. The Johnson City Power Board is currently testing fiber internet service using wireless technology that will negate the need to run massive amounts of fiber line. Hopefully it will be operational within the next couple years and provide another choice for high-speed internet.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:09 PM

7,561 posts, read 17,314,773 times
The days of unlimited data for home internet is over for at least parts of the continent. My friends in Toronto have dealt with data caps for years, and now here in Alaska we are limited as well.

Overages to allotted amounts of data/time/minutes/texts constitutes a great deal of money for these companies through overage fees.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:12 AM

510 posts, read 1,395,858 times
If Internet ISP considerations were the only factor in locating within the Tri-Cities then one should probably look across the Watauga River and north of Piney Flats at BETS service area (FTTH with up to 1 Gb service and no caps).
Internet
Broadband Map - Provider Coverage - National Broadband Map

Charter may not be enforcing caps now but if they succeed in gaining regulatory approval of the highly leveraged purchase (junk bonds to pay the cash portion) of the much larger Time-Warner system then they will need big revenue enhancements from their customers. The only winners here will be the former TWC stockholders who take the money and run. Here is something for late night reading:
Stop the Cap! You searched for charter twc merger • Stop the Cap!

Wall Street stock analysts seem to believe there is no limit to the wealth that can be squeezed from broadband customers, especially from cable ISPs which still dominate the national market. Craig Moffett is one of the analysts most easy to hate and the French entrepreneur Patrick Drahi is a devil incarnate and probably the worst thing to come out of France since Napoléon Bonaparte and snails on your biscuit. You can read about them both in this series of articles:
Stop the Cap! You searched for moffett • Stop the Cap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol