Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 10:02 AM

4 posts, read 2,826 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am looking to retire in about three and a half years and am trying to find someplace new. I am no stranger to starting over now...I lived in one county in one state for fifty-two years then in 2010 the company I worked for moved me to Connecticut....and a year ago they moved me again to New Jersey! You bet....totally different from where I came from but now I am looking down the short road to retirement and I need a new place to live....I don't think I want to go back home to Florida...I really don't want to lose having seasons, so I thought maybe Tennessee might be a good choice. I was thinking about the Bristol area. Does anyone know if this would be a good place to make my final move? Is Tennessee and the Bristol area a good place to call home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 10:43 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Well I like it. I moved here to Bristol ten years ago with the idea of retiring here in a few more years. Tell us a little bit more about what you want in a new area and maybe we can help you figure out if this is a good fit.
Also you will probably get plenty of people here telling you Johnson City is the way to go. I like JC but find Bristol is a better fit for me, so it all comes down to what you want.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:44 PM

4 posts, read 2,826 times
I fell in love with New England when I moved to Connecticut but it is totally NOT affordable. I was hoping to find a place with that quaint small-town feel with some history. Also, after living most of my life in Florida, I was so amazed by the seasons...I know, most people say that, but it really is something I don't want to lose. I even like snow. Also, I love the hills and mountains. Those views just can not be beaten, even the beaches back home do not compare.
So, I guess what I am saying is that I want the feel of New England without the prices of living there. :-)

Old 07-23-2019, 02:14 PM

24 posts, read 31,420 times
I moved from New England 26 years ago and never regretted it. I do miss some things from Maine, beaches, lakes, seafood, apple picking and the fall season. No place is perfect, I do not miss the winters and costs of living. Before I moved here I toured the whole South for 2 years before selecting the tri-cities. One town I love is Abingdon VA. This town is the closest you will get to New England in the area.

Old 07-23-2019, 02:19 PM

404 posts, read 381,086 times
Is it cooler in this area in the summer than in the Nashville area? How about compared to Knoxville? Which cities in this area would have more in the way of walking trails, community centers, etc.? Do any of these cities have nice 55+ communities or other communities that would have a community pool, clubhouse (fitness) or their own walking trails? Which has the nicest downtown?

Old 07-23-2019, 02:38 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
Is it cooler in this area in the summer than in the Nashville area? How about compared to Knoxville? Which cities in this area would have more in the way of walking trails, community centers, etc.? Do any of these cities have nice 55+ communities or other communities that would have a community pool, clubhouse (fitness) or their own walking trails? Which has the nicest downtown?
This is the coolest of the areas you mention, generally by just a few degrees but it makes a difference in the 'real feel' of the temps, especially in the mornings.
JC and Knoxville both have walking trails, community centers, etc. I'm sure Nashville does too, but Nashville is much bigger than anything around here and I doubt would have the same type of vibe, it would be what you want if you want more of a big city feel.
The tri-cities area only has a few 55+ communities, although I think there are other clubhouse communities in the area. I've not really looked into that so maybe someone else can answer that.
Nicest downtown? You're comparing three cities of vastly different sizes so I guess it would depend on what you consider nice, too big, too small, what sort of things you expect to find downtown, etc?

Old 07-23-2019, 02:55 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
In my opinion Jonesboro is the quaintest of the TN towns - lots of history as it is the oldest city in TN and very nicely maintained. If you go just a couple miles out of town you'll find houses with great views of the mountains. But I understand Bristol has been fixed up quite a bit.

Another quaint town is Dandridge, though it is a bit of a diamond in the rough. Being lower in elevation it is a little warmer but you can find homes with views of Douglas lake and the smokies nearby.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:09 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
It really depends on what your expectations are.

Bristol is perfectly fine. It has gotten a lot of new development over the years with The Pinnacle and all the downtown redevelopment. You have the option of living in TN and shopping in VA to save on income/sales tax, respectively.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:25 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,626,313 times
Considering state income taxes, I would prefer Jonesborough to Abingdon in retirement. Jonesborough is also going to be closer to most medical needs.

In Bristol, you might consider something on or near South Holston Lake. Oceola Island and Steele Creek Park might be the 2 nicest parks in the area, both "with water".

In Colonial Heights, Bays Mt Park, Patrick Henry Lake, and Warriors Path State Park are worth looking into.

You might also consider Boone Lake (Piney Flats / Blountville / Johnson City), maybe Pointe 24 community, because when that lake "comes back" (due to dam troubles it's just a river right now) you'll really have something.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:29 PM

143 posts, read 220,690 times
I moved to Elizabethton. They are big on Revolutionary War history around here with the Sycamore Shoals State Park. The Wilbur and Watauga Dams are nearby and great for water recreation. It is a short (15 minute) drive to Johnson City if more extensive hospital care is needed.

It is conservative and life is at a slower pace but the views are spectacular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol