Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2019, 09:12 AM

430 posts, read 283,256 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been looking for a retirement location for a number of years. We have visited a great deal of the U.S. and the Blue Ridge/Appalachia area seems to be the place we like the best. We are still looking at Western NC, Southwestern VA, and Northeastern TN. We are a little concerned about the crime rates we keep reading about in TN. If we go there, we like all of the area just into the mountains, you might say foothills, like Erwin, Unicoi, Elizabethton, etc. but really anywhere at about that elevation along the whole Eastern end of the state.

We live in what is usually rated one of the safest areas in the U.S. (Crime wise). We want to know from local folks what it is really like. We are fairly conservative, very much "Live and let live" people. We don't try to push our beliefs on others, and can tolerate just about any ideology that exists. We are not very political and don't care about race or ethnicity. We are eager to lend a helping hand to any neighbor that needs it, but just as willing to mind our own business if that is what is wanted. I love to help others, but I also would have no problem defending my property or family.

So what is crime really like in your area? I appreciate any help or advice. I LOVE those mountains!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 09:29 AM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Overall, the crime rate for northeast TN is high. Some of this is because of the way TN records crimes - if someone is arrested, I believe each charge they pick up is recorded separately. A breaking and entering, theft over $500, etc., could all be classified as a separate property crime, even though they stem from one incident and one person being charged.

Random violent crime is very low. However, property crime (largely related to people on drugs/looking for drugs/something to steal/money for drugs) is high depending on the town, and drug/domestic related issues are also high. Around here, rural areas tend to have more issues with drugs and property crime than the cities and towns, with some exceptions..

Crime is mostly about avoiding drugs and the attendant lifestyle.

It also varies a lot between the towns. Erwin has a violent and property crime about half of the TN state average - it's safer than the average place in Tennessee. Unicoi is probably similar. Jonesborough is also very safe. Contrast that with Kingsport, which has a higher violent crime than the TN average and about twice the property crime rate of the TN average. Still, the crime is mostly avoidable, even in the higher crime rate area, if you're not into drugs and avoid certain neighborhoods.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:34 AM

56 posts, read 47,947 times
I am not local, yet. I was really surprised at the number of articles returned when searching for homicide. Granted, many are not local, but there are a good number that are. https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/tags/homicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Crime is mostly about avoiding drugs and the attendant lifestyle.

Still, the crime is mostly avoidable, even in the higher crime rate area, if you're not into drugs and avoid certain neighborhoods.
Which neighborhoods are those?

From the articles in the paper, I would assume Lynn Gardens is one.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:44 AM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeponmovn View Post
I am not local, yet. I was really surprised at the number of articles returned when searching for homicide. Granted, many are not local, but there are a good number that are. https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/tags/homicide

Which neighborhoods are those?

From the articles in the paper, I would assume Lynn Gardens is one.
I believe I counted fourteen cases on that front page, only five of which I'd consider "local." The bottom two cases are duplicates. One of the "nonlocals" was a serial killer up in southwest VA about an hour from Johnson City. While bad, that was a one-off case that could happen anywhere.

Again, basically all of these crimes are domestic, drug related, or both. Overall, is the total crime rate in east TN higher than many other places? Absolutely, but a lot of this will never impact anyone who doesn't have domestic problems, isn't into drugs, and does not live in areas which look "bad." Around here, neighborhoods are basically what they appear to be. If it looks rundown, avoid it.

Kingsport has the highest crime rate in the local area. Lynn Garden is probably the worst neighborhood in Kingsport, and probably the worst neighborhood overall in the region. Still, Lynn Garden is not a place most Kingsport residents just "pass through." It's easily avoided. In Kingsport, I'd also avoid Bloomingdale (parts of it), and some parts of the core city. I'd avoid anything in Wilcox Drive, Sullivan Street, and E. Center "triangle." Riverview and Highland aren't great either.

Johnson City has a few issues around the John Sevier housing tower downtown, and some streets off South Roan going toward University Parkway aren't the best.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:11 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,954 times
I'll put it this way. There is nowhere that I go to regularly or even occasionally that I would worry about walking to safely (as a guy in my 30s). There is nowhere that I would tell my friends/family from out of town "whatever you do, don't drive down that street".

Old 07-31-2019, 04:09 PM

430 posts, read 283,256 times
This is sounding as I hoped it would. I will be visiting again at the first chance and really want to get a closer look. We love the area across the mountain in NC, but we have spent more time there. I have a feeling TN is going to continue to grow on me. Thank you for the replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol