Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 07:32 PM

9 posts, read 14,861 times

Advertisements

Hi - we are most likely moving to Knoxville in the fall. I am thinking we will probably try to buy a house north of Knoxville - currently looking at the Inskip, Sterchi, Halls, or Carns areas. I would love to have a house that is close to a park where we could take our son to play and we could walk. Anyone have recommendations for neighborhoods built around a park or close to a park? I can't wait until we have time to go down and drive around these areas - but right now I am doing everything online.
Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 08:00 PM

199 posts, read 521,340 times
I grew up off of Pleasant Ridge Road-- sort of in-between West Haven and Norwood and very close to Karns and Inskip. Victor Ashe Park is awesome. It's definitely one of my favorite parks in the city.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:37 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I highly recommend Fountain City and its park and duck pond. City of Knoxville - Fountain City Park

https://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ter-18947.html

Old 07-13-2010, 02:00 AM

187 posts, read 460,478 times
If you wanna live in Northern Knox,Then your 3 areas you wanna look into thats near parks would be Fountain City and the Pleasant Ridge area...The Duck pond is cool,But i personally like Adair park off Broadway overall a lil better than the Fountain City park for a couple of reasons...Victor Ashe off Pleasant Ridge is a cool park as well...I'd avoid the Inskip area personally...Its not the best area of Knox...Its a medium to high level drug area...I have friends that live over in that area and theres alot of buying and selling that goes on off of Inskip,Mostly at the gas station and the laundry mat tho,but theres alot of junkies that walk up and down Inskip pretty much all hours of the night looking for something or someone...Most of the best parks in Knox are in West Knox...Sterchi hills is a great neighborhood...They have tennis courts and an awesome walking trail there..I used to play basketball there,Its a very nice neighborhood that was built around a park...The only thing bad about Sterchi Hills tho is the roads..Theres only 2 ways in and out of there and both roads aren't the easiest to drive..Especially in the winter months

Old 07-13-2010, 09:33 AM

Actually, she wrote "Sterchi, Halls."

Sterchi Hills is a subdivision with a newer park that's okay. Many of my daughter's classmates live there. There is also a newer park built that is close by, too, and has a new dog park; Tommy Schumpert Park.

I live in the Sterchi area, about five houses away from the school. This is a great area. Homes go from about $100,000 to $300,000 and everyone walks or jogs and the kids play at the school's playground and ballfields. The yards are decent here, too. We live on 1/2 acre.

Halls is a bit far out for my taste, but it is very, very popular, too and the commute isn't too bad.

Parks Information - Knox County Tennessee - A Great American Community

Oh! And Karns is more West, to me, but the locals call it "North." I really like that area. Newer homes but some great classics around, too. It's central to West Knoxville and downtown, if you know the back roads.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:20 PM

9 posts, read 14,861 times
Thanks a lot for the info everyone!! I REALLY want to avoid any drug activity (as I am sure a lot of people do!). We live in Eastern KY right now and not long after buying our house we realized there was a prescription drug dealer on our street. The constant traffic in and out of that place is ridiculous and I sure want to avoid anything like that in the future!

Old 07-27-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmama View Post
Thanks a lot for the info everyone!! I REALLY want to avoid any drug activity (as I am sure a lot of people do!). We live in Eastern KY right now and not long after buying our house we realized there was a prescription drug dealer on our street. The constant traffic in and out of that place is ridiculous and I sure want to avoid anything like that in the future!
In Florida we found that drug dealers homes could turn up in the strangest of places, including upscale subdivisions. I haven't seen that here, yet, but I suppose that could happen anywhere. It's always a good idea to meet your neighbors before buying a home.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:40 PM

187 posts, read 460,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmama View Post

Yeah it really can happen just about anywhere these days,And its not just the projects people either anymore thats selling drugs..Its an inner city issue as well as a suburbs issue too...The drug of choice here seems to be Oxy....But on the brighter side tho...The problems here usually aren't in neighborhoods them self..Outside of Apartment complexes anyways....If you live in Eastern Ky..Then i don't think Knox would be as bad as say Harlan or Corbin Ky...I know Harlan and Corbin both has been hit hard by meth and oxy addictions...The problem here isn't that bad yet...Its somewhat getting there tho,But 3/4ths of the crime here seems to be drug related or domestic...So living in a good neighborhood is pretty important here

I just suggest spending a few days and check out more than 1 or 2 areas and try and get a feel for the area,And then just trust your instincts..If it feels like a seedy and shady area..Then in Knox it probably is...The bad areas in Knox are pretty easy to figure out after you spend a few hours in em...People are pretty easy to figure out here as well...If someone looks like a druggie or a criminal,Then they probably are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville