Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 02:34 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,762 times

Advertisements

Please notice that I try to stay positive and didn't ask about religious intolerance. I know that it exists wherever one might be for all kinds of differences, but I really want to explore the this issue for the Knoxville area.

Are Jehovah's Witnesses tolerated in the area? Are they viewed to be good Christian neighbors who may not worship in the same way as the majority, but are respectful of others' differences - or as something else?

My husband and I know that Knoxville/Maryville is a friendly, welcoming, warm Christian community, but we also want to personally feel welcome regardless of my religious beliefs (hubby is Catholic) or anything else out of the norm for the area.

Can someone give me some insight on this topic? It doesn't matter if it is positive or negative to me. I would just like to have some feedback. Thanks to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 02:46 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
I really don't see much religious intolerance around here. It's a city, after all.

I've gone to one Baptist church that was kind of cliquey. One of the locals said that church is notorious for that. I don't think they seemed intolerant, just in their own little world.

I've had lots of people knock on our door and invite us to Vacation Bible School, Sunday School, or just sing Christmas carols. They all seemed very nice. Nobody seemed judgmental.

I haven't had any Jehovah Witnesses come to visit yet, which is curious, but I have seen a Kingdom Hall.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, hiknapster. I didn't think that being close to a good size city there would be much of a problem with diverse faiths, but wanted to hear from someone in the know.

There are not too many Witnesses in the area (most of the SE, as a matter of fact), so it is difficult for them to visit everyone to encourage folks to read the Bible. I'm glad to know that you have a Kingdom Hall in the area, though.

Thanks.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:53 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,097,629 times
my in laws are Witnesses and they often go to the Kingdom Hall in Pigeon Forge and now they have started attending the one in Newport as they just bought a home there so i don't think you'll have any problems finding one around. They do go out and service quite often with the groups. I am catholic myself though i've never been a very religious person at all. I don't judge anyone for their choice of beliefs. My husband, well his parents raised him as a witness and he does follow their beliefs as that's how he was raised but he's not very involved in it as much anymore.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:36 PM

812 posts, read 1,674,772 times
There is a nice looking catholic church on Louisville rd just off of 129 (just north of Maryville by about 2 miles).

Old 08-09-2007, 04:43 PM
pdq

170 posts, read 527,289 times
Many people in Knoxville are tolerant to your face, not so much behind your back. But who cares about that right? Many religions tend to view other religions as false ones, so it's understandable that many will be intolerant of other faiths. The majority of people in tn are southern baptist and can be judgemental, just not to your face.

The jehovah's witnesses do show up at your door around Knoxville. It's always interesting to hear what people think and believe. Amazing that they put in so much leg work, almost as much as the mormons. Guess it's a good grass roots way of recruitment.

Back to your question. If you live in a larger city you will be fine, in the countryside I think it will become more and more difficult the further you go.

You should just talk directly to some jehovah's witnesses that live here and see what they say. They would know much more than us.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:15 PM

I've never had a Mormon show up at my door in any place I have ever lived.

I've had several Jehovah Witnesses show up my door in Florida, and I felt like they were just going through the motions, like they had a quota to meet. They were not friendly at all. Believe me, at that point in my life, I was thrilled to have anyone come visit me!

Yes, many Tennesseans are superficially friendly. I've said that from my first post, and that was 3,000 plus ago. I still like living in an area where people are outwardly nice, no matter what their intention, as opposed to being downright rude.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:36 PM

Smile Thank you all, neighbors!

Thanks, all of you. I think just from hearing from the 4 of you, whose posts I've come to respect, that there isn't a problem. You never know in a conservative area.

And, I think you're right, pdq, the closer to the city, the more tolerance you can expect.

I'm glad to hear that you have first hand knowledge of Witnesses, daniellefort. I'll probably meet your in-laws some day at a local convention. That would be great! Thanks for your insight.

I am really sorry that you had such negative experiences with the Witnesses that you met in Florida, hiknapster. It must have been the heat! You don't get anywhere with folks if you aren't nice. Too bad. That hurts the rest of us, just like any group who is known by the poor actions of a few.

Jehovah's Witnesses are really very peaceful, kind people who just want to see everyone expand their spiritual side - not looking for members, just preaching the Good News like Jesus asked His followers to do.

And, I will not do any preaching on the forum...promise.

Thanks, y'all.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:46 PM

I don't think you are preaching, gemthorton. I appreciate your point of view.

I think that southwest Florida had some of the most bizarre people that I have ever met in my life. I worked with a Mormon and she was extremely mean. It was the area, not a reflection of any of those religions.

I attended a Lutheran church down there. I had Lauren baptized there. They charged big money for Vacation Bible School.

A very bizarre place.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:46 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,097,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
I'm glad to hear that you have first hand knowledge of Witnesses, daniellefort. I'll probably meet your in-laws some day at a local convention. That would be great! Thanks for your insight.Thanks, y'all.
You've probably already met them. They go to the conventions every time they can.

Your right though. I have never met any nicer people. Even the strangers who come to my door are very nice. My mother in law took my daughter a few times here to the local meetings and a lady and her son who saw them and struck up conversation with them came by our house the next weekend during their service just to see how my daughter was doing....not to preach to us and i just thought that was so nice of them. It's hard to imagine meeting a witness who felt it was their quota to meet for the day. If anyone feels that way, they obviously are not in their religion (whatever religion it may be) because they WANT to be. Good luck to you and if i can be of anymore help, i'll be happy to ask my in laws as they seem to know alot of the places in East TN to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville