Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 12:18 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

For a place where we're supposedly dropping like flies, the average median age in Oak Ridge is 45. That's pretty old so far as median ages of towns go. We don't have any big master planned retirement communities attracting older folks, either, so people who come to work here pretty much stay here and get old.

Also, the percent of people with graduate degrees who live here is more than two times the national average of people with graduate degrees. Now, why would smart people live here and deliberately put their lives in danger? And if you say they all work in the lab or Y-12, why do they LIVE in Oak Ridge if they KNOW something? Wouldn't they live elsewhere?

And not for anything but on the international scene, Tennessee ain't all that much so if you want to scare a lot of people, as a terrorist, I don't think you are going to target the Knoxville Metropolitan Area. You know what I mean? Think about previous targets - NY (financial center), Washington (political center), London, Madrid -- see a pattern? Publicity fuels their activity. And if I'm wrong, I'll be dead and won't care.

I'd be more worried about crack heads and meth heads doing you in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 01:00 PM

113 posts, read 333,194 times
Sounds good. Logical. But there is another side to it. I think these discussions could go on and on but it doesn't change my mind. I am inclined to beleive some other responses - the damage reports. And I did respond to the funny guy about Zombies but for some reason it did not come through. I said Haha. Right, we need to lighten up and if it wasn't so tragic zombie people would be a riot. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:33 PM
pdq

170 posts, read 527,416 times
Hey Laura,

I am much more worried about the meth heads in East TN. TN has ranked in the top 5 worst places for meth for as long as there's been meth. TN is also ranked #1 worst in the US in perscription drug abuse, oxy contin, etc. That's whats fueling alot of the crime.

About Oak Ridge's median age, yep its around 45. The main reason it's around 45 is because the young people leave there as soon as possible. Look back through the years and you'll see the median age of the OR population getting older and older, not because everyone is living longer, but because there are fewer young people vs old people.

I'm only sharing facts about OR because the question was asked, Do your own research and make your own desicions. Google Oak Ridge and Superfund, you might be suprised. I have nothing to gain by sharing these facts. I'm not trying to sell you a home.

Good luck to all.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:39 PM

45 posts, read 154,765 times
My ex use to do clean up here - worked for DOE and private contractors. believe me its not good the stuff thats around there but I always got the impression that Farragut was ok. Cant ask cause he died a few years ago

Old 09-14-2007, 04:36 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq View Post
Hey Laura,

I am much more worried about the meth heads in East TN. TN has ranked in the top 5 worst places for meth for as long as there's been meth. TN is also ranked #1 worst in the US in perscription drug abuse, oxy contin, etc. That's whats fueling alot of the crime.
I'd be interested in info on where you got that ranking for Meth labs. Everything I find says the opposite, including this site for the U.S. Department of Justice.
DEA Briefs & Background, Drugs and Drug Abuse, State Factsheets, Tennessee (http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/pubs/states/tennessee.html - broken link)
Same with this site on Methwatch in Tennessee
http://www.tbi.state.tn.us/TADEC/MaySeizureRpt.pdf
And this study shows very low use in Tennessee compared to the West and the Deep South.
Methamphetamine Use, Abuse, and Dependence: 2002, 2003, and 2004
Tennessee is the leading producer of Marijuana, but you're more likely to find a meth lab in California than here.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:38 PM
pdq

170 posts, read 527,416 times
Hey Knoxgarden,

The info is available from many sources.
Here's an article from yesterday with Lamar Alexander stating “With Tennessee recently having the second highest number of meth lab seizures in the nation" 9/13/2007 - Alexander, Wamp Applaud New Dollars To Fight Meth In Tennessee - Breaking News - Chattanoogan.com

The number of labs found has declined in the past year but the abuse is still prevalent. I read that one lab can support many abusers. There was an article on a local news station, I think wbir, saying that much of the local meth they're now finding is being imported from Mexico and others. Outsourcing their dirty habits.

Here's some other info I found, Google it, there are many sources.
DEA Briefs & Background, Drugs and Drug Abuse, State Factsheets, Tennessee (http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/pubs/states/tennessee.html - broken link)

"In 2005, Tennessee accounted for 75 percent of the methamphetamine lab seizures in the Southeast."

You can just imagine what they aren't finding tucked away in the mountains. Also take a look at the Violent Crime Rate National Ranking, TN is #4 worst nationally.
It's scary out there, good luck to all.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:01 AM

45 posts, read 154,765 times
We use to live in Farragut (ex worked at DOE, Bechtel, Radian i n Oak Ridge) and I just visited a couple weeks ago. Seems more run down than it was say 10 years ago but the Fresh Market was nice. People are alot more pleasant, friendly, upscale than were I live now (Dacula, GA). Stick to Farragut and put your kids in Webb - there is no meth influence in that area. Oak Ridge is just gross I hated that place.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:15 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Hey Laura,

About Oak Ridge's median age, yep its around 45. The main reason it's around 45 is because the young people leave there as soon as possible. Look back through the years and you'll see the median age of the OR population getting older and older, not because everyone is living longer, but because there are fewer young people vs old people. .
Thinking about what I lked to do in my twenties and thirties and not having any children, I wouldn't live here either when I was in those age ranges. I see this place as being a really good place to live if you are under 16 or over 50 and okay if you are a working parent who works in the town because of the good schools and activities for your kids, the short commute to work and therefore, the ability to spend more time with your family. I also see it nurturing scientists, researchers and engineers by giving them intellectual stimulation in their fields that they might not get in another suburban town of this size. I see most of the activities (and there are plenty of things to do here) of this town geared mostly to children and retirees and many of the retirees I've come across are former professional people, now in their 80s who are still pursuing physical activities, intellectual activities (many of which are based on their former profession) and cultural stimulation. Perhaps that's why they live longer. This is definitely not the place to live if you are a single adult between the agers of 20 and 50 or if you are a stay-at-home mom. You would be bored.

But I also see the town I left in MD geared to people in their mid twenties through mid-fifties, offering nothing to do for children and retirees and only something to do for anyone if you are willing to drive someplace, not in the town, to do it. The place's main attraction was the relatively quick commute for that population and no really bad negatives rather than it having any really positive ones. There was zero community spirit, no celebrations, no town identity to distinguish it. It's median mid thirties age (of people who make decent money) is because people leave it as soon as they hit their mid to late 50s. It's just a place that serves its purpose for above average income singles or couples who work 40 hours a week. Most don't stay longer than a few years.

I really don't think there are a lot of people like me who move TO Oak Ridge after they retire. I think the older population here is mainly people who worked here and stayed...which goes back to the original topic. They're getting old here, not dropping like flies because of long term exposure to nukes or chemical hazards.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,085 times
I wasn't aware of this plant either, but goes to show you we don't know it all. To be honest I was more concerned with the slaughter houses and possible diseases occuring in nearby towns. In homestead near Miami where I lived before moving to TN, we had a nuclear plant, and anyone there was speakers through the nearby neighborhoods for 20 miles I believe, and once a month or so they would do a test and you could hear a loud speaker outside for miles saying, This is a test, and counting, and so on. I remember the first time I heard it I freaked. You can loop up Turkey Point in Black Point.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:02 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Quote:
Hey Laura,

Hmmm... the article I just read where ther is a link on the other thread, that was document stats on Meth use in the Nation said TN was way way way down on the list. Can I ask where you got your info about TN being ranked #5?? I'd like to compare the two sources. Thanks.

oops, sorry, I didn't read to the end of the thread before I asked the above question. I guess I was not the only one that had the same thoughts. Being the highest in meth lab seizures is not the same as being the highest meth users. From all the research I have done on the subject, granted, not an expert by any means, just Internet cruising to find info, I see and read it as TN sheriffs and like Dept's. are better at stopping the creation of meth than most states.
Sorry, but I see that as a positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville