Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 05:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times

Advertisements

That's more than my wife makes babysitting customers and watching drugs all day at wally world!!!!
Now there's an idea, time to start a babysitting service! Get a big stable of teens... Maybe my wife could be the next babysitting mogul!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,532 times
For someone to come to your home and watch one child you should expect to pay between $5 and $10 per hour, depending on age, experience & if they have any special training or certifications. For you to leave your child at a sitters home, who also keeps other children, you should expect to pay around $5 per hour, not to exceed $25 to $35 and 10 hours per day. R.M.B. in Knoxville, TN

Old 07-12-2010, 11:32 PM

458 posts, read 1,271,802 times
Hmmm...to me (and mind you I have no recent experience in this area),
~ $18/hour doesn't sound that bad...

I babysat a few times when I was a teenager (mid 1980's) and was paid $10/hour then.

I guess bottom line is -- what are their qualifications/experiences (as you said, CPR, etc.); how long have they been sitting and what do their references have to say about them?

It's worth a shot -- after all, they ARE dealing with precious cargo!

Old 07-13-2010, 06:55 PM

199 posts, read 521,163 times
I would also have add that the demeanor of the children would be a determining factor in pay rate as well.

For example, one of my sister-in-law's children are absolutely amazing. They're well mannered, they listen, they follow the rules, and they're an absolute joy to sit for. I'd watch them for the minimum, if not for free.

Another SIL has kids that I would probably charge upwards of $20 an hour to sit. Last time I babysat for her I got kicked, spit on, bit, hit, cursed at, and told I was hated and not welcome for two hours straight because I was trying to get the child to go to bed. If your child regularly behaves this way, throw the sitter a little more.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:31 AM

358 posts, read 999,438 times
I guess I'm the senior dinosaur on this thread. When I babysat, I charged 50 cents an hour and that was for FOUR kids whom I fed, cleaned up after and got to bed. When I asked for 75 cents an hour, the parents quit calling me! As for medical personnel, I'd forgotten the times I babysat for the psychiatrist down the street who had 3 kids and paid me 50 cents an hour. That was fine until his friends started bringing their 2 kids for me to keep also but no one paid extra for them!

Old 07-15-2010, 10:52 AM

610 posts, read 1,623,684 times
Definitely too much. I've babysat and nannied many times (1995-2004) For two kids aged 4, I'd say $10 to $12 per hour.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:34 AM

764 posts, read 2,548,805 times
This is why hubby and I never go out. After paying for dinner, movie and a sitter we're broke!

I sat a few times in the mid-80's and charged somewhere around $5/hr for 2 kids. My favorite charge was my high school chemistry teacher's daughter - she's out of college and married now. When the heck did I get this old?!?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,425 times
Here's the deal. Sitters who are 14 yrs old and can't legally work yet should really not get paid more than $5 an hour. They are in your house, so there is no over head. They eat your food, don't always clean up after themselves or the kids during their on-duty time, can turn the tv on or watch a movie to make things easier on themselves. They are sitting! Minimum wage is not a better deal b/c they are being paid under the table, don't have to wear a uniform, and can walk down the street to get to their "job". Even if they are an adult with experience, it is a job that does not require a degree, very little experience and no output of production. Seriously...$18 an hour??? Look up what kinds of jobs pay $18 an hour. IT techs, beginning teachers, librarians....people w/ degrees and skills. Babysitting is not for woosies, but it is a little pretentious to assume a babysitter should be making more than accredited professions.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:48 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
I love it! Back in the 70s, I made a lot of money babysitting. A lot. But I was paid about $2 a hour. New Years was a big deal because I would usually get a $20.

We just take the 10-year-old with us, whether it is a restaurant or whatever. Otherwise, we don't go. My parents did the same and I have impeccable table manners because I was seven when I ate at The Plaza.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:48 PM

374 posts, read 945,472 times
Default I'm showing

my age...but I made 50 cents/hr and $1/hr after midnight when I babysat years ago, plus I usually got a tip. I ate little of the food offered, cleaned up if there were dishes - mine or theirs - and was responsible caring for the children, usually no more than two. Usually the children were ready for bed, or in bed, when I arrived and there was little to do. One of my regular jobs entailed caring for a handicapped girl. But even then I would not have cared for more than two children for that rate.

Today, I think around $5/hr would probably be reasonable for one or two children. Number of children, ages, and what's expected should all be considerations. If the job requires entertaining, bathing, preparing for bed, feeding, etc. maybe a higher rate might be reasonable. Caring for three or four small children should probably pay more and the maturity/responsiblity level of the babysitter should also be considered.

I suppose it boils down to how much you're willing to pay for peace of mind for time away from the kids... and I'd be leary of someone who was willing to work too cheap...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville