Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 09:42 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times

Advertisements

I hope the fires are under control, or better yet over with. I heard about them yesterday, and how extensive the fires had become. Yet today I'm watching the National news programs, and I heard nothing about the the fires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 10:07 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natguy View Post
CNN reported on it last night....Your comment is ignorant
These fires have been going on for weeks. They haven't made for headlines all over the place. CNN's coverage has been disappointing. And it's practically disappeared today!

Old 11-30-2016, 10:53 AM

1,098 posts, read 902,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
These fires have been going on for weeks. They haven't made for headlines all over the place. CNN's coverage has been disappointing. And it's practically disappeared today!
Exactly. There's no excuse. I didn't even know about the fires until someone brought it up on social media. If it's not about race, religion, or sex they just dont give a hoot.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:20 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
Exactly. There's no excuse. I didn't even know about the fires until someone brought it up on social media. If it's not about race, religion, or sex they just dont give a hoot.
Part of it is that we're not in a major media market. I drove from Kingsport to Nashville Friday and it was well past Oak Ridge almost to Crossville before the air starting clearing up well. This smoke was hanging around nearly middle TN to at least Asheville and Greenville, SC, up into southwest VA, and these are just the areas I've been over the last month or so. You could easily drive three hours on the interstate in fairly significant smoke. That's bad.

I don't know if anything but the Gatlinburg fire constitutes an emergency but a wide region has been problems with fires and smoke for weeks to months.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:14 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I hope the fires are under control, or better yet over with. I heard about them yesterday, and how extensive the fires had become. Yet today I'm watching the National news programs, and I heard nothing about the the fires.
Now the death toll is 4 and 8 new outbreaks of fires.. From what Ch10 Knoxville said.. now dealing with mud slides - rock slides along with large trees and power lines blocking many road.. Causing delays in getting crews into remote areas on the ground to check buildings standing or burned for victims

Old 11-30-2016, 12:40 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Now the death toll is 4 and 8 new outbreaks of fires.. From what Ch10 Knoxville said.. now dealing with mud slides - rock slides along with large trees and power lines blocking many road.. Causing delays in getting crews into remote areas on the ground to check buildings standing or burned for victims
This is exactly what rescue workers have feared. More fire and landslides. They don't need either one!

I'm still hoping the mom and 2 daughters are safe somewhere! That poor husband is such a wreck. I feel so badly for him.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:42 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,073,081 times
modcut

Red, I think it was Sunday several firefighters were flown into Knoxville and we all appreciate their expertise and efforts....

Last edited by Beretta; 11-30-2016 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: quoted post deleted

Old 11-30-2016, 05:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
They just reported they found 3 more dead raising the total to 7.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:10 PM

187 posts, read 980,578 times
Is it realistic for anyone to consider visiting the area as soon as next week? I know the fire was severe, but don't trust the media and it is difficult for me to tell what parts are the worst hit by the fire. And I cannot get a grasp of how much of the fire is still burning and in what areas.

I live where Hurricane Matthew hit the hardest and admittedly, I was rather annoyed with tourists wanting to know if they could come for their vacations within a few days or weeks of the hurricane. Like where I live, Gatlinburg's economy is dependent on tourism, so naturally people wanted the tourism money to start flowing in again as soon as possible. At same time, I do not want to arrive and just be a burden toward recovery efforts.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:32 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Please post on topic of the fire in Gatlinburg and the Smoky Mountains. If you want to post about potential fires in the Southern USA please select the General US forum for such a thread. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville