Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 09:40 AM

8 posts, read 15,039 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Newport, TN from Oregon to join a new Tiny House Community that sounds amazing. I am just concerned about the severe weather such as thunder and lightening storms. As Newport isn't in Tornado Alley Proper, can anyone share their thoughts about just how much of a threat tornadoes are in this region?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 09:49 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Thunder storms are vey common in East TN. Some storms are very severe. Tornados are very rare, but high winds are not.
Just my opinion, but you should do a little more research on Cocke County.

Old 07-28-2019, 04:51 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Newport is a beautiful area next to the mountains, but the city of Newport and Cocke County have a reputation for crime. Definitely investigate more and tread carefully. There are many other areas of east TN with similar beauty and fewer issues.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:21 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Another way to look at this is Newport has a lawless reputation.

But since so many places want to outlaw tiny homes, maybe this is a good thing. I read the article and see why it would be intriguing. The little houses are imaginative and appear to be well crafted. The important thing is who are the other people in the community, are they likely to look out after your place while you are away. Does the development have perimeter fencing?

Newport is not a battle zone: you will be safe going to the store and running the usual errands. But there will be bars you don't want to go into.

Super location from a geography standpoint.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:36 AM

621 posts, read 1,614,589 times
Florida has thunderstorms. Every afternoon. I have lived here 11 years, can only remember a handful of storms. I actually love a good storm. You should be safe in that respect.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Another way to look at this is Newport has a lawless reputation.

But since so many places want to outlaw tiny homes, maybe this is a good thing. I read the article and see why it would be intriguing. The little houses are imaginative and appear to be well crafted. The important thing is who are the other people in the community, are they likely to look out after your place while you are away. Does the development have perimeter fencing?

Newport is not a battle zone: you will be safe going to the store and running the usual errands. But there will be bars you don't want to go into.

Super location from a geography standpoint.
Hi Creeksitter,

The reason I am considering Newport is because of the new tiny house community going in there.. People are coming from all over the U.S. to join this community. A person must buy their tiny house from Incredible Tiny Homes of Tennessee and place a deposit for the space.... also I have been following this company and had interaction with them and it just seems like a great opportunity to start anew. I was just concerned a bit by the severe weather,, Where I am from in Oregon, I already live in a battle zone.. with bars you want to run the other way from, gangs, drug labs, drive by shootings... and other unmentionable crimes .. Police here aren't always "law abiding" either.. so I guess a small town like Newport wouldn't be all that much different except the cost of living is cut by like 70%

Old 07-30-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird2000 View Post
Florida has thunderstorms. Every afternoon. I have lived here 11 years, can only remember a handful of storms. I actually love a good storm. You should be safe in that respect.
yes. I don't mind Thunder and Lightening.. Do you live in Tennessee or Florida now?

Old 07-30-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Newport is a beautiful area next to the mountains, but the city of Newport and Cocke County have a reputation for crime. Definitely investigate more and tread carefully. There are many other areas of east TN with similar beauty and fewer issues.
Hi Serious Conversation,

Yes.. I have been researching Newport.. and I guess it's had it's fair share of crimes and such,, but like I posted before. I am from Oregon where the crime is already rather high. The reason I am considering Newport is because a Tiny Home Community is going in there and I would really like to be a part of it if possible. Oregon isn't as progressive as it leads other states to believe.. except for rental tiny house/rv parks, zoning laws and codes here do not allow for communities- yet anyway, but I don't want to wait around another 5 years for Oregon government and nay-sayers to finally give a green light . Housing in this state is one of the highest-very unaffordable ...

Old 07-30-2019, 07:02 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
I think I read the same article.

It could be hard for East Tennesseans to believe but Newport may be more tranquil for you. I assume you've learned diplomacy - you will have to study being diplomatic with a southern accent. But no too southern or people will think you are mocking them.

I love the weather here. Except for a couple weeks in the winter and a few more in the summer you can usually find a few hours when it is pleasant to be outside. Spring and fall are amazing. Yes there are thunderstorms but tornadoes will be rare. Still it's something to consider with a tiny house. Ask if the community has a structure that could serve as a shelter.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:53 AM

394 posts, read 794,096 times
What will be your source of income? You need to have one before you come or significant saving. Job market is limited in more rural areas and pay won't be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville