Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 06:29 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times

Advertisements

Modcut: Discussing moderator actions is against the TOS.

I noticed the property taxes on several homes in Oak Ridge had more than doubled in 2018. I was looking for feedback on that.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 07:15 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times
Are you seeing this tax increase on Zillow? I noticed a big tax jump reported on a current listing of 70 Royal Troon Circle, but when I go to the actual Oak Ridge Property Tax search, there was not a big jump in taxes at all. Could this just be an error in the Zillow data that you are seeing? Listing here: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...66904419_zpid/ Tax lookup here: CITY OF OAK RIDGE PROPERTY TAX SEARCH RESULTS. When I bought my house in TN, for awhile it showed the SOLD price on Zillow as 1,283,000......that was a million dollars too high.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:06 PM

377 posts, read 469,728 times
Tax increase isn't your imagination, DaveinMtAiry, at least in some cases. Here's an article talking about it. It's not a big increase, but usually an increase follows an attempt to first increase revenue with updated assessments. It's possible some neighborhoods have recently been reassessed.

Also, it's possible that you were looking at homes that recently sold. It's not unusual for city taxes to be low for a number of years and then when a home sells, that sales price is used to establish a new assessment number and therefore tax amount.

Old 08-28-2019, 03:56 PM

Another thought I had was that Zillow was just showing either the county or the city taxes and not both, but then started showing both. I don't know if those are billed together for Oak Ridge/Anderson County or billed separately. A recently sold property at 20 Raintree Crossing in Oak Ridge shows a huge tax jump, but not a reassessment.

2018 $5,259 +97.9% $102,425 --
2017 $2,657 -- $102,425 --
2016 $2,657 -- $102,425 --

Old 08-28-2019, 03:59 PM

Sorry for the late reply, at the beach and forgot about this thread. I probably should have posted examples so here are two and yes they are from Zillow

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...66903655_zpid/

2018: $1,280
2017: $647

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...66905210_zpid/

2018: $1,384
2017: $659

Old 08-28-2019, 06:17 PM

Zillow grabs info from other sources and sometimes misinterprets it or reinterprets it. In the example you provided, JOinGA, the property had a slight hike in 2015 after it was sold for a higher value than recorded. In all the previous years, the taxes were broken as around $2500 for city and an similar amount for County. For whatever reason, Zillow lumped both city and county into one number in 2018 AND perhaps listed one of them separately as well.

In the example that DaveinMtAiry gave, the homes had around $600 for city and a similar amount for county. Zillow didn't report the second figure for some reason.

This is why it's good to verify numbers through more than one source.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathiOH1 View Post
Zillow grabs info from other sources and sometimes misinterprets it or reinterprets it. In the example you provided, JOinGA, the property had a slight hike in 2015 after it was sold for a higher value than recorded. In all the previous years, the taxes were broken as around $2500 for city and an similar amount for County. For whatever reason, Zillow lumped both city and county into one number in 2018 AND perhaps listed one of them separately as well.

In the example that DaveinMtAiry gave, the homes had around $600 for city and a similar amount for county. Zillow didn't report the second figure for some reason.

This is why it's good to verify numbers through more than one source.
So true about verifying....on property taxes many jurisdictions let you double-check them on the local government webpage. I ran into some of the this confusion when I was shopping for a house and trying to determine taxes for inside Knoxville city limits or outside because the city boundaries are so wonky......extending like tentacles up certain main roads. From what I could see, the tax rate for Anderson County is about the same as for Oak Ridge.....so that would make the total double when they are combined.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:55 AM

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll try to make it easy on myself as opposed to looking at government web sites for each property. I see the total taxes outside of Maryville City are low, are they higher in Oak Ridge?

Old 08-29-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll try to make it easy on myself as opposed to looking at government web sites for each property. I see the total taxes outside of Maryville City are low, are they higher in Oak Ridge?
I think that Oak Ridge is known for having higher taxes. Blount County outside of the Maryville limits the rate is 2.47 and within the city limits of Oak Ridge the rate is is 5.13. Here is a place where you can easily search by city or county and compare 2018 tax rates. There may be some minor changes if increases have been adopted for 2019. https://comptroller.tn.gov/office-fu...ates/2018.html

Old 08-29-2019, 08:12 AM

COMPARING TAXES FOR A $200k HOME
The following is an illustration and not an exact tax figure ... though a home may sell for $200k, the assessment may not reflect that amount. Also, some counties assess more generously than others, so there is no way to predict an actual assessment.

Maryville Blount County taxes run a little higher than City taxes, but for the most part homes inside the city pay double what homes outside the city pay. County property taxes will be around $1000/yr. If the home is inside the City limits then County taxes + City taxes will be around $2000/yr. Families tend to move into the city of Maryville. Retirees look for homes outside of the city to save on taxes.

Oak Ridge property tax rate is higher than other counties but assessments seem to run a little lower. Like Maryville, Oak Ridge City taxes are about as much as Anderson County property taxes, so property taxes will be around $2000/yr; equivalent to living inside Maryville City Limits.

Knoxville city taxes are slightly higher than Knox County taxes. Knox county property taxes run about $900/yr, and if a home is inside the city, overall taxes may be slightly higher than other nearby areas, landing around $2100/yr. Areas outside of the city limits (Powell, Corryton, Strawberry Plains for example) therefore will have lower overall taxes than city limit homes.

Farragut doesn't have city property taxes. This town also doesn't have many homes in the $200k range. Knox county property taxes run about $900/yr, but plenty of taxes get collected considering many homes run in the $400-600k range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville