Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 03:55 PM

68 posts, read 104,015 times

Advertisements

Arbitraily, dismissing the east end of town as "unsuitable" may not be in your best interests. Like many city districts there are parts of that area that may prove to your liking. Specifically, I'm thinking of the near east side north of Magnolia Ave., around the intersection of Bertrand and Washington. Numerous older homes are being renovated; thus, you can get substantial bang for your buck. Plus travel by bus, bike, auto, or walking (if so inclined) is an easy commute to UT and downtown. The community is uniquely diverse. Recently, it has become inhabited by UT faculty and staff, graduate students, professionals, white and blue collar workers. Yes, I am acquainted with a number of those local denizens. I've found them to be bright, stimulating and genuine. They want to give something back to their neighborhood and from what I've observed their efforts are commendable!

Every success to you in both transition and academic pursuits.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:39 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Indychic, something important to remember is that African Americans are a small minority in Knoxville. 16-20% (?) in the city boundaries, way less in the county and metro. You're not going to find a whole lot of urban black professionals like you would in Atlanta or Chicago, simply because urban professionals as a whole are a minority there, and African American ones an even smaller minority. So to say that "black professionals" do or don't live in certain parts of the city is somewhat misleading or inaccurate.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:46 PM

33 posts, read 118,223 times
Indychic, We're headed to an outlying area as soon as our house sells. You're welcome to live next to us.

Just so long as you don't talk too much about Indianapolis- after 39 years of living here, I'm sick to death of it!

Old 05-08-2008, 12:02 PM

122 posts, read 365,660 times
very interesting posts

Old 05-12-2008, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 12,864 times
Default Re: Will I Fit In African Americans In Knoxville

Let Me Tell You I Am Orginally From Knoxville And Do Not Let Your Friends Tell You To Live In East Knoxville Because You Will Feel More Comfortable There. I Have A Home In West Knoxville/farragut Area- I Am A Black Professional And Sure I Got A Few Strange Looks. But I Am As Liberal As They Come So I Decided This Was Their Problem Certainly Not Mind. West Knoxville Is A Beautiful Area. Before I Bought My Home There I Lived In An Apartment Complex Called Concepts 21 Right Off Of Kingston Pike In West Knoxville. A Great Mix Of Young Professionals Both Black And White And Had No Problem. Also One Person That Wrote In Mentioned Sequoyah Hills, Also A Great Area And Closer To Ut. Between Those Two Areas You Will Find Plenty To Do. Great Resturants, The Mountains, Shopping. Also Downtown Knoxville Is A Great Place To Hang Out With Shops, Clubs Etc. I Live In Nj Right Now And Transition Back And Forth Due To My Job And Family. Good Luck With Utk It Is A Great School I Am Also An Alumi. And You Are Right It Is A Tough School To Get Into. You Go Girl

Old 05-12-2008, 12:00 PM

54 posts, read 161,574 times
I would hate to think that racism is still alive and well in the south, being from GA originally. I love the south. I love Tennessee. But the truth is that racism still exists because human beings exist. In the south, north, east and west. As a matter of fact, in different countries! I am white and my daughter has experienced a lot of racism from mostly black women because she has a son who looks mostly black. Of course he is only half black but he looks more black than white. She wants to move to TN and is afraid of small towns where there might be racism. I hope she doesn't have to experience that. Most importantly that my 6 yr old grandson doesn't have to experience it. I know there are some prejudiced people in Tennessee, but there are prejudiced people everywhere. I refuse to label Tennessee in a negative way.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:35 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times
Cool There are prejudiced people everywhere and of every ilk.

Sadly, there definitely is prejudice everywhere in the world. It doesn't exist just between black and white, but with anything that makes an individual a hair off of the norm or acceptable with any neighborhood, organization, country, church or school.

As long as there is one person who is not painted from the same box of crayons as everyone else around them there will exist quiet or overt prejudice.

We may be frowned upon because of our politics, our economic level, our education, color, religion, standard of dress, pets, anything that can be criticized, will be - by someone.

So, Indychic, I think that no matter where you choose to settle in E. TN you are going to fit in just fine - pretty much the same as the rest of us. We all have a neighbor or two who doesn't wave to us as we stroll by, or someone who looks cross-eyed at us because we missed the dress-code of the day, but it's their loss, not ours or yours.

You will be welcomed by most any place you choose to live and I will be pleased to meet you some day in E. TN; I hope in my neighborhood.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:12 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
I agree with Gem. When I lived in south central Texas I was very much the minority being a female with blonde hair and blue eyes and was treated in an inferior manner. There are people here that will think more or less of you based on your job, house, bank account, etc. and not just what your skin color is.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:41 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Prejudice comes from people with self-esteem issues that fervantly hope that putting down someone else will make themselves look better. I figured that out as a child and this is what I have told my children when they asked why people behave that way.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:39 PM

38 posts, read 181,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbama73 View Post
Indychic, We're headed to an outlying area as soon as our house sells. You're welcome to live next to us.

Just so long as you don't talk too much about Indianapolis- after 39 years of living here, I'm sick to death of it!

Hilarious! I hear ya! The only thing you'd hear me talk about are my beloved Colts. I will dearly miss my football team. If anyone drives by a house decked out in Colts paraphernalia...that's mine! But, my Peyton Manning does hail from UTK!!! So I'm just thrilled about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville