Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2021, 04:23 PM

20 posts, read 17,792 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Knoxville in the Fall, but don't want to miss the beautiful fall leaves before they drop off. I came too early in October a few years ago and most of the leaves didn't turn color yet. But, is November too late in season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 05:35 PM

5,981 posts, read 3,724,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khere View Post
Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Knoxville in the Fall, but don't want to miss the beautiful fall leaves before they drop off. I came too early in October a few years ago and most of the leaves didn't turn color yet. But, is November too late in season?
November might be getting a bit late in the season. There are many factors that contribute to when the leaves turn color such as latitude, elevation, species of tree, rainfall amount, etc. But if I had to pick a time for the leaves to turn color in close proximity to Knoxville, I'd say about the 15th to 20th of October would be close to prime time.

Old 06-04-2021, 08:11 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Agree. It can be anytime in October but it is safe to shoot for the middle of the month.

Old 06-04-2021, 01:42 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Halloween week (last week of October, 1st week of November) for the following locations. I agree with around mid-October for Cades Cove.

(2 posts - 6 photos).

The beginning of the Natchez Trace Parkway in TN - Photo taken 10-31-18

Cabin in Norris Dam State Park - West Entrance - Photo taken 10-29-17

A House on Norris Lake (near the dam) - Photo taken 11-03-09

Part 2 coming up.

Old 06-04-2021, 02:43 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Part 2 - Oak Ridge

Oak Ridge - Photo taken 10-30-09

Oak Ridge - Photo taken 10-24-2009

Oak Ridge - Photo taken 11-02-13

If you decide to check out the Fall foliage in the Norris Dam State Park area, take I-75 north from Knoxville and get off at Exit 128. At the end of the Exit Ramp, make a left. That's Highway 441 (not a real highway - it's mostly a downhill winding road - go slow). You will see the west entrance to Norris Dam State Park on your left. Go in and drive around. It's very pretty in the Fall. The park is free and not crowded at all in the Fall (they have a pool). Come out the way you came in and make a left back onto 441. Highway 441 is ablaze with color in peak Fall. Down the road on your right, you will see the entrance to the Norris Dam high overlook. Turn in and take some photos of the trees and lake. Make a right to get back onto 441. Next up is Norris Dam Marina on your left. Make a left into the marina and another left inside to park your vehicle. The Marina is at the base of the dam. There are high cliffs on the other side of the parking lot. Come out of the marina parking lot the way you came in. Make a left to get back on Hwy 441. You will now be going over the dam. At the end of the dam is a visitors center/bathroom/picnic area on your right and another good view of the dam. On your left is the east entrance to Norris Dam State Park. I happen to like the West Entrance better but that's just opinion. The East entrance has a steep incline and is a two-way road. When you come out of the the Visitor's Center parking lot, make a right, a left if you are coming out of the Park's east entrance. You will see a sharp right hand turn on your right (go slow). There is a nice walking trail and at the very end, the dam works. You can park along the water by the dam. When you leave make a right to continue on 441. On your left will be The Lenoir Museum and a Grist Mill. On your right will be Weir Dam (a low one). Keep heading on HWY 441. You will see a cemetery on your right followed by a cut-off road and a yellow sign for the Museum of Appalachia. When you get to the end of it, make a right. You will see the entrance (big sign) to the Museum of Appalachia on your right. If you want to tour the grounds/buildings there is a fee. Don't run over the peacocks and chickens that roam the parking area. The store has nice things. Make a right coming out of the Museum of Appalachia exit. You will hit the I-75S entrance to get back to Knoxville, shortly. Can't remember if it's on the left or right.

Old 06-04-2021, 03:06 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
Every year is slightly different, but we tell friends that visit us to try the third week in October. It may not be peak, but is usually pretty good at that time. Going to different elevations during the visit can also produce different levels of color.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:00 AM

20 posts, read 17,792 times
Thank you so much for all of the information and beautiful pics. So nice of you...

If you decide to check out the Fall foliage in the Norris Dam State Park area, take I-75 north from Knoxville and get off at Exit 128. At the end of the Exit Ramp, make a left. That's Highway 441 (not a real highway - it's mostly a downhill winding road - go slow). You will see the west entrance to Norris Dam State Park on your left. Go in and drive around. It's very pretty in the Fall. The park is free and not crowded at all in the Fall (they have a pool). Come out the way you came in and make a left back onto 441. Highway 441 is ablaze with color in peak Fall. Down the road on your right, you will see the entrance to the Norris Dam high overlook. Turn in and take some photos of the trees and lake. Make a right to get back onto 441. Next up is Norris Dam Marina on your left. Make a left into the marina and another left inside to park your vehicle. The Marina is at the base of the dam. There are high cliffs on the other side of the parking lot. Come out of the marina parking lot the way you came in. Make a left to get back on Hwy 441. You will now be going over the dam. At the end of the dam is a visitors center/bathroom/picnic area on your right and another good view of the dam. On your left is the east entrance to Norris Dam State Park. I happen to like the West Entrance better but that's just opinion. The East entrance has a steep incline and is a two-way road. When you come out of the the Visitor's Center parking lot, make a right, a left if you are coming out of the Park's east entrance. You will see a sharp right hand turn on your right (go slow). There is a nice walking trail and at the very end, the dam works. You can park along the water by the dam. When you leave make a right to continue on 441. On your left will be The Lenoir Museum and a Grist Mill. On your right will be Weir Dam (a low one). Keep heading on HWY 441. You will see a cemetery on your right followed by a cut-off road and a yellow sign for the Museum of Appalachia. When you get to the end of it, make a right. You will see the entrance (big sign) to the Museum of Appalachia on your right. If you want to tour the grounds/buildings there is a fee. Don't run over the peacocks and chickens that roam the parking area. The store has nice things. Make a right coming out of the Museum of Appalachia exit. You will hit the I-75S entrance to get back to Knoxville, shortly. Can't remember if it's on the left or right.[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville