Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 07:24 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,862,528 times

Advertisements

Knoxville would be on my short list to move but wife can't take the humidity. We are use to desert climates. I do think would be a great place and enjoyed what little time I spent there passing through on the way to Philly.

Old 06-17-2021, 12:01 PM

186 posts, read 283,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Even with that is hard to "generalize" crime for the city, without knowing the demographics of the criminals and the victims. From what I see from following the local news, most violent crime tends to be slanted towards a particular demographic. Sorry to say that, but looking at the overall threat level it has to be evaluated based on facts. It seems as if a large amount of the crime is among rival gangs and criminals offing other criminals, as opposed to random attacks on innocent people.
This is very true. Outside of a few pockets within the city limits which have always been problem areas, the rest of the city, county, and metro feel pretty safe overall.

Old 06-17-2021, 12:10 PM

186 posts, read 283,588 times
Also this latest 2021 Q1 report shows Knoxville MSA has seen the highest home sales profit margins in the nation at 122.1% return, ahead of places like Boise (102.8%) and Nashville (92.1%).

https://www.attomdata.com/news/marke...-sales-report/

Old 06-20-2021, 07:31 AM

20,346 posts, read 19,934,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Per WBIR "As of May 23, 21 people have been shot and killed in the city limits, Knoxville Police data showed. That's nearly double the number shot and killed at the same time in 2020—a year which broke records as the deadliest in the city's history." These numbers compare us to ourselves, so you can't blame it on different reporting standards. There are many great things about living in Knoxville, but crime is up. There is no denying it. That said, I don't feel unsafe downtown, but I choose my times and locations wisely.
We've always felt safe in the Market Square, Gay Street and Old City areas.

I suspect those killings are in areas we have absolutely no interest in visiting.

Old 06-20-2021, 09:13 AM

11,502 posts, read 6,016,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
We've always felt safe in the Market Square, Gay Street and Old City areas.

I suspect those killings are in areas we have absolutely no interest in visiting.

Being new to Knoxville, I checked out Market Square and Gay Street with all its shops and restaurants.

Then I cruised around just checking things out. Cruised north on Gay Street then who knows where, but north. What a shock. As soon as I got above I-40, it was pure ghetto and my crime app was off the map. I am talking a mile, tops. I mean, it flipped like a switch. I didn't feel safe driving there.

While I woudn't "visit" there, I sure stumbled upon it quickly. I was just shocked at how close it was to Market Square.

I am just responding to your post. I felt safe on Gay Street as well, but the bad area a mile north is just too close for comfort. That is concerning.

I am sure long time residents know if I stumbled on a small pocket of poverty or if it gets worse from there or what? I didn't venture further. As soon as it looked like it was getting rough, I made a B-line back for Gay St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville