Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 07:02 PM

102 posts, read 133,747 times

Advertisements

A friend was telling me that venomous snakes are a problem in many Middle Tenn lakes. Is there much of a problem running into snakes while swimming in lakes like Dandridge or Loudon lakes? If so my wife is gonna freak lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2021, 11:36 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,796,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrunik View Post
A friend was telling me that venomous snakes are a problem in many Middle Tenn lakes. Is there much of a problem running into snakes while swimming in lakes like Dandridge or Loudon lakes? If so my wife is gonna freak lol.
You occasionally see a snake in the water. It is unlikely one would have a problem while swimming but I suppose it is possible. We do have a lot of snakes in Tennessee but they usually do not bother you if they are left alone. Most snakes you see are not poisonous anyway. Look for the triangular head, that is a warning sign that you are dealing with a poisonous snake. Most snakes one encounters are totally harmless though.

Old 06-28-2021, 06:58 AM

11,104 posts, read 9,746,390 times
No, they aren't a problem in eastern TN. I swim in Tellico Lake all the time. The problems are generally in west TN, they have cottonmouths (water moccasins) there. We don't have those here at all. The only venomous snakes in east TN are copperheads and timber rattlers. Both will swim for transportation if they must, but only rarely. Rattlesnakes live in 46 states, so, snake-wise, it's no more dangerous to swim in those lakes than any other.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:05 AM

Thanks for those replies! My wife read them and is still OK with a lakefront home.

Glad to hear that water moccasins are more a west TN issue. I know they're a big problem in some southern states also.

Old 06-28-2021, 10:55 AM

621 posts, read 1,614,785 times
I grew up in Florida, moved her 12 years ago. So much more enjoyable to swim in lakes here versus down there. I have seen one venomous snake in the water in my 13 years here, a Copperhead. He was swimming from one side of the creek to the other. I go boating on Douglas a few times a year, never have had an issue. No alligators, that makes life easier!

Old 06-29-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird2000 View Post
I grew up in Florida, moved her 12 years ago. So much more enjoyable to swim in lakes here versus down there. I have seen one venomous snake in the water in my 13 years here, a Copperhead. He was swimming from one side of the creek to the other. I go boating on Douglas a few times a year, never have had an issue. No alligators, that makes life easier!
Alligators have occasionally been spotted. Of course it is rare but it does happen. TWRA does admit that alligators have been migrating into the state. Every few years one is spotted in East Tennessee lakes. They are regularly seen in west Tennessee. TWRA has alligators listed as a protected species in Tennessee so obviously they acknowledge their existence.

Old 06-29-2021, 06:01 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrunik View Post
Thanks for those replies! My wife read them and is still OK with a lakefront home.

Glad to hear that water moccasins are more a west TN issue. I know they're a big problem in some southern states also.
Welllll - not quite an accurate statement but as rural as I live in southern Middle Tennessee, it’s highly unlikely the OP’s wife would want to live here

Cottonmouths have been spotted in the creek, at the bottom of my road.

I have see an occasional Copperhead basking in the middle of the road in the early morning sun.

I am told we do have rattlesnakes but <knock on wood> I haven’t seen any.

OP, how ever large a property you purchase. Keep as much of it well mowed as possible.

Don’t kill the Black snakes. They are faster than the viper snakes, therefore catch all the rodents. If there’s nothing to hunt the viper snakes won’t hang around anyway

Old 06-29-2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Welllll - not quite an accurate statement but as rural as I live in southern Middle Tennessee, it’s highly unlikely the OP’s wife would want to live here

Cottonmouths have been spotted in the creek, at the bottom of my road.

I have see an occasional Copperhead basking in the middle of the road in the early morning sun.

I am told we do have rattlesnakes but <knock on wood> I haven’t seen any.

OP, how ever large a property you purchase. Keep as much of it well mowed as possible.

Don’t kill the Black snakes. They are faster than the viper snakes, therefore catch all the rodents. If there’s nothing to hunt the viper snakes won’t hang around anyway
The black snake is a good snake to have around. Very efficient rodent killer and yea it will also keep copperheads away.

Old 06-30-2021, 08:01 AM

More great information! Seems like a few good hunter cats keep snakes away. At least it seems that way in the Foothill area of Calif we live in now.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:00 PM

11,104 posts, read 9,746,390 times
There are no alligators in EAST TN lakes, unless someone releases a pet alligator into one. In general, our waters in winter are too cold for alligators. A released pet alligator was found in middle TN lake a few years ago. It was determined that it had recently been released, after the latest winter.

Cottonmouth are found occasionally in a few spots in middle TN, but mostly in the swampy lakes of western TN. See the map in this article from the Wildlife resources agency.

https://www.tn.gov/twra/wildlife/rep...%20the%20state.

As I stated, copperheads and rattlers can swim, and will if necessary to get where they need to go, but it's not something you see frequently, and they swim on the surface, so you would see them if they were there. It's not really necessary to worry about venomous snakes in the water while swimming in east TN, or at least not any more than you would in any other of the 46 states where venomous snakes exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville