Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 10:23 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,649 times

Advertisements

Thanks all. I'm packing up and heading out in the U-Haul a week from today.

This will be the first time I've ever had to pay sales tax on groceries (boo hiss) so low price will be important to me. I surveyed the weekly ad for Kroger there and the Kroger-owned Fry's here; formatting, products, prices in the ads are identical *except* for produce. I take that as a good sign that whatever produce is more available in each region gets highlighted in each location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2023, 09:13 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
If the South Knoxville Kroger scares you then take a trip to The Fellini Kroger on Broadway and afterwards S Knox will seem downright middle class.

Eventually you will go to West Knoxville because everything is there. I like to visit Trader Joe's and maybe catch Aldi on the way home. For close by shopping Kroger is your best bet.

Old 02-01-2023, 04:55 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,382,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
If the South Knoxville Kroger scares you then take a trip to The Fellini Kroger on Broadway and afterwards S Knox will seem downright middle class.

Eventually you will go to West Knoxville because everything is there. I like to visit Trader Joe's and maybe catch Aldi on the way home. For close by shopping Kroger is your best bet.
I agree

Old 02-01-2023, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post

No, that's not my MO. I don't like to travel long distances just for groceries. For a special reason like maybe to go to Academy for shoes or something similar, but not for groceries, and I definitely don't visit multiple grocery stores to do my weekly run. I usually go to Walmart and I see there's one down south, but I will check out the Food City down there as well as the UGO. Probably the only one I'll check out across the river will be the Publix because it's close at hand.

Old 02-01-2023, 10:02 AM

11,104 posts, read 9,746,390 times
Publix is a great top-notch store in my opinion. Think Whole Foods without the organic requirements and not quite as pricey. Kroger is a minor step down from that. Ingles is very similar to Kroger. I think they might have the same parent company. All 3 of them can be on the pricier end of the grocery spectrum. Food City is a very run of the mill grocery store. Lower prices. Occasional good deals. It's fine, but nothing at all to be excited about. You have to be careful with the produce and, of course, check your expiration dates on everything there. Food Lion is similar to Food City, with even worse (less fresh) produce than Food City. (Can you tell I hail originally from the salad basket of the country?) Aldi is a discount chain, and they have very limited selection. I went in once and walked out empty-handed as they had nothing that I was looking for in appropriate quantities for a 2-person home. Maybe it's just me, but there were none of my familiar brands. It sounds weird, but Walmart has better produce than a lot of the grocery stores here because they sell such a volume that it's re-stocked more often. They have smaller selection, but it tends to be fresher.

If you drink, be prepared for sticker shock. Also liquor isn't sold in grocery stores, just beer and wine.

Last edited by TheShadow; 02-01-2023 at 10:10 AM..

Old 02-01-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Publix is a great top-notch store in my opinion. Think Whole Foods without the organic requirements and not quite as pricey. Kroger is a minor step down from that. Ingles is very similar to Kroger. I think they might have the same parent company. All 3 of them can be on the pricier end of the grocery spectrum. Food City is a very run of the mill grocery store. Lower prices. Occasional good deals. It's fine, but nothing at all to be excited about. You have to be careful with the produce and, of course, check your expiration dates on everything there. Food Lion is similar to Food City, with even worse (less fresh) produce than Food City. (Can you tell I hail originally from the salad basket of the country?) Aldi is a discount chain, and they have very limited selection. I went in once and walked out empty-handed as they had nothing that I was looking for in appropriate quantities for a 2-person home. Maybe it's just me, but there were none of my familiar brands. It sounds weird, but Walmart has better produce than a lot of the grocery stores here because they sell such a volume that it's re-stocked more often. They have smaller selection, but it tends to be fresher.

If you drink, be prepared for sticker shock. Also liquor isn't sold in grocery stores, just beer and wine.
Thanks! Now *this* is what I was looking for... but do these grocery stores have sidewalks? (nyuk nyuk)

I'm checking out now to get ready to leave Tucson on Monday - see ya on the other side...

Old 02-01-2023, 03:12 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
My point was that if you go to West Knoxville anyway that's when you visit trader Joe, if you like them, that is. If you are driving out to Walmart there's a food City nearby and you can decide which one you favor. Are you the guy working at UT hospital? If so, Publix is very convenient.

Old 02-05-2023, 07:17 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:

This is my take too.

The Bearden Kroger is really, really good. Publix is also very good, but pricier. Ingles is sometimes a step below Publix, around Kroger's level, but they also have a decent selection of local/regional stuff. Food City and Food Lion are a clear step below that.

Ingles is independent and not affiliated with Kroger. Ingles is based out of Asheville.

Old 02-26-2023, 12:12 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,699 times
Publix has weekly BOGO items. That is a good time to stock up on the items you like. By the way, in TN you do not actually have to buy one to get one free in Publix. They just ring up at half price.

Old 03-01-2023, 06:24 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,796,574 times
Quote:

I agree with this assessment of our grocery choices. Actually I have always liked Ingles. Publix is a great choice if one is near to you. As far as the alcohol goes……total wine In Turkey Creek is a good place to go and save a bit. They have an unreal selection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville