Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 02:38 PM

965 posts, read 4,498,840 times

Advertisements

I was watching the Weather Channel (as I always do for keeping up with the weather all over the country as part of my "retirement" research), and I noticed that Knoxville had thunder bumpers today. Is this the norm? So early in the year? I love thunder bumpers (they are not accompanied by tornadoes here in Northern Va.). I am so jealous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 02:43 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Yes. We got hit pretty hard. There were a lot of outages and downed trees this morning. Yes, this is normal and will keep up for a few months. Tennessee has a lot of warm and cold currents that smack into each other creating some really wild weather. We have a lot of hail storms and occasionally we have tornadoes. My little mobile home was rocking and a'rollin' this morning. I talked to a lot of people that were frightened.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:58 PM

965 posts, read 4,498,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yes. We got hit pretty hard. There were a lot of outages and downed trees this morning. Yes, this is normal and will keep up for a few months. Tennessee has a lot of warm and cold currents that smack into each other creating some really wild weather. We have a lot of hail storms and occasionally we have tornadoes. My little mobile home was rocking and a'rollin' this morning. I talked to a lot of people that were frightened.
Gosh, hope you all are okay down there! Me still loves thunder bumpers, though. We won't get cranking with thumber bumpers until June-ish, and even then, they can be very "spotty." Stay safe.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:08 PM

I do not see any reports of injuries. I think it mostly woke up everyone early. Lots of people were very tired today!

Old 02-21-2007, 03:15 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
WOW! I am sorry to hear that Hiknapster, and glad you and from the sounds of it everyone else is safe! Funny, we are just up the valley from you and we had nice weather so far today and just now getting a few drops of rain. Amazing that we can be that close but different weather in the same day!
I guess it is another "Welcome to TN" thing hehehehehehehe

Old 02-21-2007, 03:27 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
OOOPPPSSSS!!! spoke to soon! It's been ...what??...not even 15 minutes since i wrote that, the sun came out, and I just now heard a BIG thunder boomer rumble off in the distance..LOL!!!!
That'll teach me to open my mouth against Mother Nature hahahahaha

Old 02-21-2007, 03:30 PM

I thought so. I just pulled up the radar and saw a few thunder showers heading your way. They don't look like much. It should pass quickly. I don't think y'all get the wild weather that we get down here.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:10 AM

14 posts, read 56,049 times
Default Hiknapster...:

You mind posting the URL to those 'thunder bumpers'? I.e., the radar URL. This is a new term for us, we're likely moving into the Kingston area (maybe Clinton), and I'd like to 'tech up' on weather, etc.

Thanks.
'Soon to be there, not here' (yay!).

Old 02-24-2007, 07:31 AM

Well, I don't call them "thunder bumpers" but that's okay.

I'd be happy to show you the website I look at frequently during the day. It is part of the Clinton/Oak Ridge area, so it will be of interest to you.

By the way, tonight it looks like we will be experiencing some wild weather. 'Tis the season!

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/forecast/Map...te=TN&site=MRX

Old 02-24-2007, 07:46 AM

14 posts, read 56,049 times
Default Thanks for the link...

Went there. Will have to explore what's available. Now that I see it, I remember I used to go to that site (currently about 40mi ESE of San Francisco) and use the animated SAT maps to see how the stronger weather was progressing into our area from offshore.

So what do you call these things? Sounds like the sound compression waves rattling whatever's in their way it seems like. Similar to the compression affect associated with some types of explosives (not that I know that much at all tho)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville