Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 08:33 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,396,255 times

Advertisements

I lived in Philadelphia for a year and had co-workers from South Jersey. I had the hardest time deciphering that "youse guys" accent. OTOH, I lived outside the South for years, lost a lot of my accent and people still can't understand some of my words.

As far as being accepted and assimilating, I have always assumed-- and acted-- like people would treat me the same way I treated them. It's worked every time, and I've lived all over-- East Coast, West Coast, Midwest, Texas, even London. It really is all in the attitude you bring with you.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:01 AM

458 posts, read 1,272,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenneseetransplant View Post
The people here in Morristown (close to Knoxville) are very nice and friendly but you may need an enterpretor to understand what they are saying and I am from WV. I have more of a modified midwest accent and I have co-workers spell sometimes so I can understand them. I have a friend here from Michigan that does the same as I do so it isn't just me. One worker was trying to tell us about a new business that was in the tall store, on questioning and having her spell the word, we learned it was the tile store.
You must be from northern WV?

Old 01-12-2009, 07:04 AM

458 posts, read 1,272,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Welcome to the board. You meant interpreter I assume? Of course, if I moved to Jersey I am sure I would have difficulty understanding the native accent so I am glad that you are tolerant of the natives here. If you want your member name changed to the correct spelling of Tennessee let me know.
Repped you on that.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:35 PM

3 posts, read 8,936 times
As one looking to move to Knoxville, I have to comment that we visited TN 11 years ago (in Knoxville and Memphis) and one thing that my husband and I both stated was, if we were to move from where we are, we'd like to live in Tennessee. It wasn't based on the surroundings, the sights but on the people. We just felt at home no matter where we went. Hopefully, this summer, we will be able to make that move...

Old 01-14-2009, 09:33 PM

730 posts, read 1,919,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I agree! My kids were born in Pittsburgh so I can attest that stereotyping them as yankees or northerners is definitely not appropriate.
I find it interesting that the term "Yankee" has a different meaning in the "South" than in the "North"

Both sides fought a war well over 140 years ago. The "North" does not refer to people from the "South" as "rebels" or "Confederates", yet the South still uses the term "Yankee", and generally as a pejorative.

In the North a "Yankee" is a member of a baseball team.

I do believe the term will not disappear, as it is used today, until a time comes when people are not divided by the past, but united by the now.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:48 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,518,025 times
I also hear British folks use the term "yank", short for yankee, quite a bit when referring to Americans.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:14 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,323,340 times
New Englanders refer to each other as Yankees but in a good way.

Example: "My mother is a tough old Yankee. She'll never leave the area."

Old 01-15-2009, 07:50 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,332,789 times
I hear folks referred to as "Mid-westerners" a lot too....but that was more so when I lived in CT.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:35 PM

152 posts, read 333,233 times
Yes as a Brit i can recall my Dad bless his heart referring to his Yankee friends made during WWII, with no distinction to coming from South or North.He loved them all. Before I came to USA 10 years ago, I thought all Americans were Yanks/ Yankees.

Then my Bronx Boy husband gave me a little chat which I guessed I learned in my history lessons but that was many moons ago and now "old timers and CRS" disease is setting in fast here.

It's such a pity that this sterotyping still exists today, and we all learn to look to a brighter future, shoulder to shoulder and not dwell on the past.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:18 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
I find it interesting that the term "Yankee" has a different meaning in the "South" than in the "North"

Both sides fought a war well over 140 years ago. The "North" does not refer to people from the "South" as "rebels" or "Confederates", yet the South still uses the term "Yankee", and generally as a pejorative.

In the North a "Yankee" is a member of a baseball team.
You probably never lived in Boston where "Yankee" is a baaaaad word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville