Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 05:13 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,318,604 times

Advertisements

Exactly what site are you referring to? Most of those sites are bogus. Really.

When I moved I depended on real-life information, like getting the online newspaper and comparing rents, real estate and availability of jobs.

And comparing ones previous area, wherever that may be, marmac, is exactly the point. First of all, I will gladly take a house in Knoxville to the exact same one plopped down in Florida. The taxes will be SIGNIFICANTLY different, as they will be comparing California, Jersey, New England, etc.

However, that is not always the case. Knoxville can be more expensive than, perhaps Indiana or Michigan, when housing, pay, etc., is all factored.

Atlanta to Knoxville? There really isn't going to be a big difference, especially when you consider burb to burb, as others have written.

Just the thought of driving in Atlanta makes me shudder, though, as does the crime. Thanks, but you can go back to Atlanta. I'm staying here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 05:17 PM

13,356 posts, read 39,989,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Pam and Bill-------- do you know many houses that I can buy in TN and only pay------$112--a year property taxes on ?

No dumps , please.

I am used to living in a house in Florida that has taxes of ---$4500 per year--(SARC)
I know you didn't ask me directly, but since you posted it in a public forum rather than sending Pam a DM, I'm going to answer.

I believe younglisa7 has property in McMinn County. I think. At any rate, the residential property tax rate in rural McMinn County is $1.5553 per $100 of assessed value. Assessed value is 25% of a property's actual value. It is entirely possible to buy a few acres in rural McMinn County for $30,000, which I believe is what younglisa7 and her husband did. Paying $30,000 would give them an annual property tax of $116.65. And considering that McMinn County is an hour from both Chattanooga and Knoxville, that's pretty sweet.

I'm originally from Florida and cannot think of anywhere in Florida that's within an hour of 2 large cities where one could buy a few acres and expect to have such low property taxes.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:28 PM

745 posts, read 1,720,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I know you didn't ask me directly, but since you posted it in a public forum rather than sending Pam a DM, I'm going to answer.

I believe younglisa7 has property in McMinn County. I think. At any rate, the residential property tax rate in rural McMinn County is $1.5553 per $100 of assessed value. Assessed value is 25% of a property's actual value. It is entirely possible to buy a few acres in rural McMinn County for $30,000, which I believe is what younglisa7 and her husband did. Paying $30,000 would give them an annual property tax of $116.65. And considering that McMinn County is an hour from both Chattanooga and Knoxville, that's pretty sweet.

I'm originally from Florida and cannot think of anywhere in Florida that's within an hour of 2 large cities where one could buy a few acres and expect to have such low property taxes.
JMT, I believe that such rural property would/could be classified as agricultural, meaning the assessed value would be only 20%, making the taxes even cheaper, if it indeed is classified as ag.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
JMT, I believe that such rural property would/could be classified as agricultural, meaning the assessed value would be only 20%, making the taxes even cheaper, if it indeed is classified as ag.
It's about a half a mountain. Gorgeous.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
Good point! And that makes perfect sense, too.

I remember seeing younglisa7's pics, and hiknapster is right. It is GORGEOUS.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:00 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,202,781 times
I would gladly pay $30,000 for a few acres in McMinn county with a liveable house.

If there is non liveable house, how could the buying or paying taxes on that property be considered---"cost of living" ?

Old 12-30-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I would gladly pay $30,000 for a few acres in McMinn county with a liveable house.

If there is non liveable house, how could the buying or paying taxes on that property be considered---"cost of living" ?
Once again...

"And comparing ones previous area, wherever that may be, marmac, is exactly the point. First of all, I will gladly take a house in Knoxville to the exact same one plopped down in Florida. The taxes will be SIGNIFICANTLY different, as they will be comparing California, Jersey, New England, etc."

Old 12-30-2008, 06:56 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,409,606 times
Quote:
younglisa7 says-------"Florida propert taxes $4500 per year. TN property taxes $112 per year"

I doubt you are comparing similar properties.

If you are not, what is your point ?????????
True I had a 35 year old house on a postage stamp lot in FL and a new house on 40 acres in TN.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:

Of course property taxes are considered part of the cost of living. Why wouldn't they be? Whether the house is inhabitable or not, the property taxes still have to be paid.

If you buy property in an area and forget to include the property taxes in your budget, you could be in for a rude awakening (hello Citrus County, Florida).

Old 12-30-2008, 07:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,413 times
Ok I live in Upstate New York, I have a $225,000 home on 2 acres and pay roughly $6000.00 +/- in taxes. What would this scenario cost me around knxville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville