Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:55 PM

10 posts, read 35,163 times

Advertisements

According to the realtor we can add to the sales contract that closing is added. There are other houses like ours in the subdivision. I just keep thinking that the builder has to have an idea that the house would appraise for the price they are selling for or they would not get any sold. Recent problems on t.v has brought this to my attention. Now I feel ignorant for not thinking about this before. Because if we cant get the loan we have no house and we will lose out on $7,000 on upgrades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 03:15 PM

125 posts, read 414,449 times
Default Appraisal

At $188,000 for 1448 square feet you would be priced at $129.83 a square foot.

I took a look in the Multiple Listing Service at recent sales of new homes in that area and found some 13-1400 square foot, new houses that have closed at up to $132.00 a foot so the comparable sales seem to be there.

On some of those sales the original list price was pretty obviously inflated to include some additional costs.

I saw one that was bumped up from $170,500 to $180,084 for 1364 square feet.

The only downside to that is that you'll have negative equity for a few years so if you have to sell it could be an issue.

I have appraisers that call me all the time asking for details on my recent sales and the most frequently asked question is did the seller pay any of the buyer's closing costs.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:12 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,329,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxgrl View Post
According to the realtor we can add to the sales contract that closing is added. There are other houses like ours in the subdivision. I just keep thinking that the builder has to have an idea that the house would appraise for the price they are selling for or they would not get any sold. Recent problems on t.v has brought this to my attention. Now I feel ignorant for not thinking about this before. Because if we cant get the loan we have no house and we will lose out on $7,000 on upgrades.
If you have already paid for the 7k in upgrades, you don't need true 100% including closing costs. That 7k has to be shown as a down payment along with any other monies you have already given the contractor. Have you talked with your lender about this? What were you pre approved for?

Old 09-06-2007, 04:23 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,511,189 times
Holy Smokes Batman $129 a sq foot!?!?!?! We have our house priced at $114 a sq foot!

Old 09-06-2007, 04:44 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,395,151 times
My tax reappraisal came in at $155/SF, and my house isn't new. I'm surprised you didn't hear me scream all the way to Blount County!

Costs are all across the board in Knoxville.

There's no reason to appraise you below the comps, Knoxgrl, so you should be fine.

Hmmm... I wonder if I could get that 100% loan for an investment property that I eventually intend to rehab? Does anybody know? Because I've been told I need the full 20% down.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:53 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Holy Smokes Batman $129 a sq foot!?!?!?! We have our house priced at $114 a sq foot!
Then I'm coming to see yours when I get sold...... I'm getting showings, and no negs so far so hopefully soon!

Old 09-06-2007, 05:07 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,329,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Hmmm... I wonder if I could get that 100% loan for an investment property that I eventually intend to rehab? Does anybody know? Because I've been told I need the full 20% down.
Can be done for 10% down easily....if you and the property are qualified. Pretty darn good rates on investment property right now too.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:19 PM

592 posts, read 2,135,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxgrl View Post

If you are working with who I think you are working with, I'd think twice before trusting "the realtor" on ANYTHING. Just fair warning.

I don't know how many times I heard "everything will be ok buddy"....

At least you apparently got to choose your upgrades!

Old 09-06-2007, 05:34 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,511,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Then I'm coming to see yours when I get sold...... I'm getting showings, and no negs so far so hopefully soon!
You got a deal. I'll leave the porch light on.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:17 PM

10 posts, read 35,163 times
We havent paid for upgrades yet. We have added these upgrades to the cost of the house. We were required to give them a post dated check just in case we could not close or backed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville