Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 10:24 PM

717 posts, read 2,809,285 times

Advertisements

Oh my....so many things to say....I am loving the enthusiasm going on here.

Nancy thereader--I take it that you LOVE to read??? Me too...I am actually a book-a-holic. I love the library--but I love bookstores even more!!! I cannot even consider living somewhere that there are not any bookstores--both new and used. For me, I have to own them--don't ask me why--I wish I could answer that myself. Honestly, my books rank right up there with photos on things to save in an emergency. I literally have thousands of them. I am mostly a nonfiction person at this point in my life cause I don't have the time to read a novel from cover to cover--but someday, perhaps I will be able to enjoy a good mystery again!!!!

Cinci--Wow!!! There is nothing in the world that compares to the feeling that you have found your utopia and would like to sstay put and call this place home. Some people search forever and never seem to find it. I really, really hope everything goes well for you guys....I do have to admit though, I would be one of those people who kinda wouldn't want everyone else to "find" this little bit of heaven--cause that's about all it would take for life as you know it there to change. I saw that happen with Cary/Raleigh when I lived there in 2004. I wasn't able to stay there long enough, but I did love it while I was there. That was when I truely knew that I was going to live in the "real south" someday. Now Raleigh and the rest of the triangle has grown so much, that I would be forced to deal with many things that I am hoping to leave behind with city living. The people in Raleigh were absolutely fantastic though--and I had no trouble feeling right at home. As a matter of fact, when the friends I had made discovered that I needed to go back to Florida, they made me feel like they were going to miss me more than people I had left behind in Florida and lived around for several years.

JMT and Hik--You have NO idea (well, maybe you do) how much I miss going for my country drives in PA. I would explore all of those back roads. I have this thing about taking the road that provides the best mystery--that means the one that goes around the bend, up over the hill, into the hills, etc. The one that is NOT straight--I want to know what's just up around the corner out of my sight. I am a huge explorer--and I would explore every old abandoned house and building if I could. I absolutely fall in love with all of the charm and character of such places. One of my absolute most favorite shows on HGTV is IF WALLS COULD TALK---I wish that were the story of my life. Every day should be like a treasure hunt...and like all of you--I am easily amused and amused by the very simple things in life. I just found this thread about the lightening bugs up in the Smokies that I will most definitely have to go see. I just get so excited about SIMPLE LIVING AND LIVING SIMPLY!!!

Hik--Guess what? I was a realtor in Illinois and I went thru the Classes here in Florida--just before the market fell out. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE looking at homes and homes for sale. Good luck to you. I may just have to pick this up once I get situated and get my bearings up there. (Listen to me, you all have me so excited that I already feel like this is a done deal!) AMAZING....

Two things I absolutely need--bookstores and something like a Whole Foods? Surely, these are to be found by you????

I have a lot more questions, but will save for another day as I am getting up at 5 to go check out a flea market about an hour away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 02:44 AM

117 posts, read 366,817 times
The best thing about Knoxville is, I haven't lived there since October of 1961 and it's still in my heart "home." I am so happy to have been born in Oak Ridge and raised in Knoxville for the most of my childhood. Memories of trips to the Smokey's, Historical site after site, being able to be in 4 states in 1 day, going to hear the Knoxville Symphony Orchestra, the magical Christmas Parade downtown, the Dogwood blossoms in the spring, Sharp's Ridge in the vibrant colors of Autumn, living in a city but able to be in the country in no time, going to Nashville, Ruby Falls in Chattanooga, summer camp at Camp Carson and Weir's Valley, swimming at Alcoa and Lakewood, receiving an education from my school, church and community that matched the standards of what my parents taught me at home instead of conflicted like in so many more cosmopolitan mega cities today, people that would help you if you were in need whether they knew you or not. I know no place is perfect, but Knoxville is about as good as it gets. It was once voted and All-American City and with just and good reason. It's a great place to be and be from.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:46 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Wow, itsajourney, I could have written the same post. Really. The houses that talk to me, taking the more interesting roads. I feel that every house, just like every person, has a story to tell. And I love to just get myself lost so that I can find my way out.

You better get quickly get up here. I miss you already.

No, we don't have Whole Foods, but we have two Fresh Markets, which are fabulous and we have one Earth Fare, but a new one, closer to town, opens this week! Don't forget everyone, Saturday afternoon there will be live music and $1 hot dogs! Woohhoo!

The Fresh Market - Experience the Food!

Earth Fare Home

We have lots of new and used bookstores, including our famous McKay's which is always packed, from opening to closing, which says a lot about our residents.

Mckay Books Home

Carpe Librum Booksellers (http://carpelibrum.booksense.com/NASApp/store/IndexJsp - broken link)

You have also mentioned to me that you like New Age and Metaphysical. You'll have to enlighten me, because apparently I don't know much about it. My best friend is into it, too, though. I hadn't asked her much about it.

Best place to stop off is at the bulletin board at our local food co-op.

Three Rivers Market

And this place seems really cool. I would love to start doing yoga when I can. They even have a cafe.

The Glowing Body | Yoga Studio & Apparel

Old 06-15-2009, 10:23 AM

415 posts, read 2,334,539 times
WOW, reading how great Knoxville is, makes me want to pack up and move today. I was in the area about 2 weeks ago, riding my motorcycle, I live in Columbia SC and man what a difference. I am wanting to talk my wife into looking at the option of moving there. DO YOU have any good words I could tell her that may sway her into wanting to check into making a move.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwing View Post
WOW, reading how great Knoxville is, makes me want to pack up and move today. I was in the area about 2 weeks ago, riding my motorcycle, I live in Columbia SC and man what a difference. I am wanting to talk my wife into looking at the option of moving there. DO YOU have any good words I could tell her that may sway her into wanting to check into making a move.
I don't know. I've already swayed you so I guess you could show her this thread!

If you want to take the more subtle approach I would have to ask you what are the types of things that she likes. Why are you considering a move? In other words, what don't you like about your current location? What would she be looking for in a new place?

We'll start from there!

Old 06-15-2009, 12:54 PM

one of or favorite things to do is ride our motorcycle, we have a goldwing and love to go riding in the country. Columbia SC is ver hot in the summer and to have any real good riding terain you have to head north, like to the mountains of NC or TN,

We also love to bowl, and go shopping at flea markets.

A clean safe city is important to us, Columbia is neither, we ended up here due to employment, had we known 3 years ago, what we know today, we would not have moved to Columbia, we would have stayed in Florida. And kept looking for employment elsewhere

Old 06-15-2009, 01:06 PM

Well, we are certainly closer to the mountains, Tail of the Dragon and all the other wonderful roadways. Our climate is less humid, too. Next time you go for a ride you'll have to swing through for a visit.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:49 PM

I was just up there riding the Dragon and Devils Triangle, had a great time, look forward to coming up again soon.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:22 PM

11 posts, read 46,591 times
Hiknapster,

No we didn't sell a house in FL since we never owned one there, way too expensive!!! We rented a house that was only a couple blocks from the beach... and if that house had been put on the market it would have sold for close to a million even though our rent was only $850 for a nice 3 bedroom. We were so glad our landlord didn't care about cashing out. It was so strange that you could rent so cheap while houses sold for so much.

Our current house has been for sale for over a year and no buyers in site. We're trying to rent it but the mass exodus from Ohio is brutal. We hope to unload it or rent it soon, fingers crossed as we look to the future of happier times in Knoxville!!! Big big future here folks!

Hi to jkwing!
Knoxville has the things you're looking for and much much more. Bowling alleys, flea markets, and it's the cleanest city we've ever been too in the US. The crime is very low compared to Atlanta or Miami... and probably Columbia too. Come on to Knoxville and bring your friends!

Old 06-16-2009, 10:02 AM

Default Dislike ?? Is there anything to Dislike about Knoxville

I have read a lot of what people like about Knoxville and the area. If there was something you disliked, what would it be???

Tell me the top 3 things you dislike about the Knoxville area, if there is anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville