Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 03:11 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,787,493 times

Advertisements

We are the only "Yankees" in the family!! No family to worry about in that sense. Our son is in school, and is obligated to the Air Force afterwards, so even he will not be returning here for the foreseeable future. I can sympathize with your worries.

Our worries are more financial and social. Can we afford the house, the taxes, and what ever else comes down the line, will there be employment to help us bridge the gaps and will we be accepted as we are.

Maryville seemed to have the best fit for many of our needs but we have not ruled out the Tri-Cities, Greeneville and the general area around the north eastern tip of the state.

Best of luck in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 12:16 PM

340 posts, read 1,189,249 times
I pop in here to read from time to time, and this thread motivated me to sign up.

My husband and I relocated to TN in 9/05, right after Katrina hit the MS Gulf Coast. We were on our way here (had already sold our home, and were living in vacation rentals when Katrina hit and forced us to relocate earlier).

We moved to Powell first (a suburb of Knoxville), even though we really liked Maryville. Wanted to give ourselves a broader range of places to look for work. We both found jobs in December 05 and are still working for the same companies, me in Knoxville, him in Maryville.

We drove the entire area, over and over, for the next 10 months after moving here, and kept coming back to Maryville, esp for the close proximity to the Smokies (what we came here for ).

We began seriously looking in July 06, and bought a wonderful home with a gorgeous 'in the front yard' view of Chilhowee Mtn just south of Maryville, in the county. We moved in the last week of August 06, and have never regretted moving to Maryville.

We are about 45 minutes from the Smokies, 55 minutes from Pigeon Forge 1 hour from Gatlinburg, there are some really good restaurants in Maryville (this from a Cajun who knows good food! ), and the people here ARE really nice.

It takes a little longer to 'really' get to know people here, they are more reserved under the friendliness than some other areas of the country. We live away from all our family now, but every morning when I open the front blinds and that gorgeous mountain view, I thank God for the move here.

Any questions I can answer, I'd be happy to.

Oh, and the traffic? Once you learn your way around here, you can figure out ways to avoid any and all traffic.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:30 PM

2 posts, read 40,819 times
Default Where's the peace?

Maryville is not a peaceful place anymore..at least not as it used to be. I've lived in Maryville for about 10 years now and this already looks like any other big city with all the traffic and desperate drivers. I am comparing it to years ago when it was a pleasure to hop into town and you could literally have known almost everyone in town. Now you have congestions all over alcoa hwy, 321, 411 and I can go on and on. Just about the only people who find it easy to drive are the ones that are moving here from major cities! ...And they are moving!!!! I have seen our little town grow in the past year alone to almost double in size. We don't have many streets here and the ones we have that can take you anywhere are only 2 lanes a side! I have encountered rude people everywhere, home depot, rub tues, target, etc., etc. I have seen people sticking their middle finger at some folks because they drive slow! These are people who resently moved into our area...STOP MOVING IN AND DESTROYING OUR PEACE!!!!! Lots of people say they just want to find some peace, and perhaps it's true but once you have over population specially in a small town, you're going to turn to your old self. stay where you are or get out of our Maryville!!!!!!!!

Old 05-22-2007, 05:07 AM

61 posts, read 401,071 times
Thumbs up Our drive through Maryville

Yesterday, my husband and I drove in and around Maryville. All the times I've been to Maryville I've never felt the traffic was bad. (But then I'm use to Sevierville ). The airport has never been a problem for us, (my husband has used it many times of the years) it's always been a quick in and out.

We saw some wonderful neighborhoods just off Hunt Rd., Middlesettlements Rd. and Louisville Pike. All are close to the airport, but a friend told me that many of the homes were sound-proofed by the airport.

Downtown there is now the Tomato Head restaurant, a theatre turned internet cafe/coffee house. The Palace Theatre that has live music and the Van Metre School of Ballet home of the Appalachian Ballet. They are entering their 50th year. WOW! Now that is something for a small city like that. I know many big cities that can't hold a ballet company or school.

The downtown is extremely clean, has one of the coolest looking Ruby Tuesdays restaurant you've ever seen. Ruby Tuesdays is headquarters in Maryville I believe. I just saw a lovely vegetable, fruit, flower and plant market downtown. I will have to make time to stop in.

I drive to Maryville twice a week, have friends that live there and have been checking it out for a while now. The only negative I can find is the air quality. The smog that will lay in the air in the warmer months.

Here is a real estate web page that I have found to be wonderful, great pictures.

http://www.realtyiii.com/

Old 05-22-2007, 06:35 AM

340 posts, read 1,189,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG&D93 View Post
I drive to Maryville twice a week, have friends that live there and have been checking it out for a while now. The only negative I can find is the air quality. The smog that will lay in the air in the warmer months.
We live south of Maryville, off of Six Mile Road, overlooking Chilhowee Mtn, and the smog isn't as bad there as it is elsewhere. I think it's because it's like a funnel there between the hills and mountain (we get some strong winds from the southwest through there, but that's another story).

I work in Knoxville, and the air quality is pretty bad there on the high ozone days as well.

I have asthma, so I'm very sensitive to it.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:47 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,787,493 times
Thanks BarbG for your helpful input. We have found several possibilities with our agent via plenty of e-mails but still were worried about location. Our current front runner is in the same general area you are living in. Your experiences make me feel we are on the right track. Hopefully when we visit next week we will feel the same way that you have. We live in an area with plenty of friendly but reserved people, so we shouldn't have too many problems adapting to the local way of doing things.

Hopefully my next questions will be about where things are like grocery stores and furniture stores!!

Old 05-26-2007, 11:10 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,422,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokiesland View Post
Maryville is not a peaceful place anymore..at least not as it used to be. I've lived in Maryville for about 10 years now and this already looks like any other big city with all the traffic and desperate drivers. I am comparing it to years ago when it was a pleasure to hop into town and you could literally have known almost everyone in town. Now you have congestions all over alcoa hwy, 321, 411 and I can go on and on. Just about the only people who find it easy to drive are the ones that are moving here from major cities! ...And they are moving!!!! I have seen our little town grow in the past year alone to almost double in size. We don't have many streets here and the ones we have that can take you anywhere are only 2 lanes a side! I have encountered rude people everywhere, home depot, rub tues, target, etc., etc. I have seen people sticking their middle finger at some folks because they drive slow! These are people who resently moved into our area...STOP MOVING IN AND DESTROYING OUR PEACE!!!!! Lots of people say they just want to find some peace, and perhaps it's true but once you have over population specially in a small town, you're going to turn to your old self. stay where you are or get out of our Maryville!!!!!!!!
I'm sorry, but it's not YOUR Maryville if you've only been there 10 years. How would you have felt if the people in that great city told you to get out of their Maryville when you moved down there? I lived in Maryville before you did, and I can say I NEVER EVER encountered your kind of attitude down there, nor have I ever had any kind of experience such as you describe. Have you read what you just posted? Perhaps it is YOU who has the rude attitude you complain about others having. Maybe that's why they flip you the bird!

Old 05-27-2007, 06:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Smile We are thinking of Maryville

Well, we currently live in MT right outside the gates of Glacier Park. Before anyone says "why would you want to leave such a wonderfull place" I will tell you. We are tired of winter 9 months a year and to tell the truth, backward schools. We have lived outside of Atlanta and Charlotte and went to Pigeon Forge several times and enjoyed TN very much. I am wondering though, how is the weather in Maryville? We were not thrilled with the tornado issue in Atlanta or Charlotte and Traffic in Atlanta is beyond belief. Crime in Charlotte was getting pretty bad but it is a big city after all. We like smaller towns, good schools and warmer weather and really like the smokies! Can someone let me know what the general weather is in Maryville? Oh, good BBQ is a must!

Thanks

Old 05-27-2007, 07:42 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times

As you can see, the tornado factor is about the same in Atlanta and Maryville and may be a little less in Charlotte.

Traffic is nothing like Atlanta and probably better than Charlotte. I'm not sure though. I've never been to Charlotte. I would imagine Maryville crime is MUCH less, too.

Good bbq? I don't think there is any good bbq around here, but that is just my personal opinion. However, I make great bbq, so I guess I could invite everyone over to my house!

Old 05-27-2007, 08:40 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,391 times
We drove through Maryville looking at property, and were only there for half a day--but believe it or not, it turns out Maryville isn't for us. It's a great, progressive small city, but it's too progressive for us. We're looking for a slower pace, and a lot of the charms that attract people to Maryville (culture, progress, diversity, super-charged economic development) just aren't something that are a priority for us.

And there are WAYYYY too many McMansions for us; some areas looked just like New Jersey.

I know tons of people love Maryville; and it is a lovely place. I just felt like I wanted to add my $.02, the possibility that it might be a little too bustling and progressive for some people who are looking to slow down...a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville