Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 05:24 PM

515 posts, read 1,179,850 times

Advertisements

So I've been browsing some of the nice properties that have taken massive price hits due to things like ARM expirations and such and I ran across this really weird combination of sales and resales.

26 Princeville Lane, Las Vegas (unincorporated), Nevada 89113 offered for $499,900 | BlockShopper Las Vegas
11 Hazeltine Lane, Las Vegas (unincorporated), Nevada 89113 | BlockShopper Las Vegas

Seems the owners of these two homes, that are only a block or two apart, swapped them a couple of years ago for equal money ($1M) and then listed the hazeltine house for sale at $3M (according to zillow) but sold it three months later for $400K back to the previous owner and bought back the princeville house for $250K (i.e. they swapped houses again 2 years later) and then the princeville house went into foreclosure and is now for sale for $500K.

I'm looking at those series of transactions and it just seems like something funny was going on. Can anyone suggest a plausible explanation for something like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 05:47 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post
So I've been browsing some of the nice properties that have taken massive price hits due to things like ARM expirations and such and I ran across this really weird combination of sales and resales.

26 Princeville Lane, Las Vegas (unincorporated), Nevada 89113 offered for $499,900 | BlockShopper Las Vegas
11 Hazeltine Lane, Las Vegas (unincorporated), Nevada 89113 | BlockShopper Las Vegas

Seems the owners of these two homes, that are only a block or two apart, swapped them a couple of years ago for equal money ($1M) and then listed the hazeltine house for sale at $3M (according to zillow) but sold it three months later for $400K back to the previous owner and bought back the princeville house for $250K (i.e. they swapped houses again 2 years later) and then the princeville house went into foreclosure and is now for sale for $500K.

I'm looking at those series of transactions and it just seems like something funny was going on. Can anyone suggest a plausible explanation for something like that?
Something was going on?

Old 07-15-2010, 07:08 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Here's some completely made-up "facts" (can a fact be made-up?) to support part of the transaction.

Let's say you own one of the houses & I own the other.

We are at the peak of the bubble, and we each have substantial capital gains -- about $500K of cap gains. We both believe the market for housing will continue to go up & up & up, but we want to lock in our 500K of cap gains tax exclusion. But we both like the neighborhood and want to stay here.

So you sell your house to me, I sell my house to you, we take our cap gains exclusions and have a basis-step up for tax purposes. Who knows; since I'm making all this up out of thin air, maybe we each have significant tax losses we plan to use against even higher cap gains on real-estate.

Then a funny thing happens. The housing bubble bursts. Oh poop. Poop, poop, poop.

It turns out we have side-agreements (whoops -- if the IRS finds out, then these are not true arms-length transactions and that 500K cap gains) to unwind these transactions if need be.. and the need arises, and then it all just goes to the theological place of eternal punishment.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:48 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,946,956 times
Looks like fraud to me.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:37 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,242,871 times
Google the previous owners names and ask them.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:07 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Trustee sale on Princeville was for $877,000...

Sounds like somebody cashed out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: