Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 12:06 PM

4 posts, read 7,768 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have been racking my brain over this for the past few weeks, and was hoping you could help me.

I am a former California resident (and self-employed author), but I have been living out of the country for the past 2 years. I am returning to the US at the beginning on 2015, and I would like to settle myself down in Las Vegas instead of re-establishing myself in California. My plan is to head straight for the strip as soon as I arrive back into the motherland.

Anyway, since I have been gone for 2 years my driver's license has since expired. I didn't really think anything of it at first, and thought that it would be no problem to just use a cab for the first day I was there, and then renew my license in Nevada, but when I doubled-checked I see that there is a "Proof of Residency" that I must demonstrate to get my license. So basically I need two of these

Residency & Proof of Identity

So obviously this creates a HUGE problem for me, because I can't rent a car while I'm there at all until I renew my license... Therefore traveling around will be a big issue. I can't really go "apartment hunting" without a vehicle, and it seems like every document they want requires me to have an apartment or own property already.

This ruins my plan of hotel hopping for a week or two and figuring out exactly what area I want to live and getting to know Las Vegas better. I don't want to sign a lease anywhere until I'm 100% sure about the different areas, and I certainly don't want to stay in the same hotel/motel more than 30 days without a car. That would be hella expensive and a terrible experience.

I could rent a mailbox and transfer my bank accounts and credit cards over to the NV address to get one of the documents, but all the other things seem impossible for me to get right away.

I was hoping that someone else has some experience dealing with this situation, or has some recommendations of how I can get over this and get my license renewed in Nevada the first couple of days I arrive there, so I can rent a car and start living. Surely, I'm not the only person to ever have this problem.

And if not... Is traveling around Las Vegas without a car reasonable at all? I imagine that renting cabs for 30 days+ for EVERYTHING would totally drain my wallet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 12:30 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,438,062 times
I would suggest that you stay at a short term apartment first until you get your NV driver's license, then you start apartment hunting. You can use the short term rental address as your residence address. Other than a NV address, I don't believe they require any other proof of residence.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:33 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,139,639 times
Have you called the DMV and talked to them about it?

Do you have a valid driver license where you're at right now? You could probably rent a car with that.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:48 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,592,198 times
If you still are within the time frames can you pay a penalty and renew your calif license online? That way you have a valid license and can have valid ID to go apt hunting in Nevada as well as rent a car. I would suspect it would be easier to transfer your driver's license to Nevada if you have a valid one in Calif.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:57 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,819,686 times
Actually if within 90 days you can get a renewal for a year for free. But if not you have kind of had the course. I suspect OP will have a heck of a time establishing residence and then have to take the written and the drivers test which will take a while to get scheduled. Only sensible way is to use a drivers school.

This is one that you just should not do.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:33 AM

4 posts, read 7,768 times
My license has been expired for about 6 months now, so can't do online renewal... I could renew in California, but I would be making a stop in California for literally no other reason than to renew my license, and I also don't have a California address, so that makes no sense.

I live in a city now where public transportation is a breeze, so no license is required, but I assume I will not have that luxury in Vegas and will need a license.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:04 AM

You might consider getting a license where you are. That will at least let you drive in LV. I suspect you may run into much the same problem renewing in CA.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:36 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,034,173 times
If you cannot provide two of the proof of residency documents, it is because YOU ARE NOT A NEVADA RESIDENT.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
If you cannot provide two of the proof of residency documents, it is because YOU ARE NOT A NEVADA RESIDENT.
Actually you are a Nevada resident the day you move here permanently. You simply lack proof.

Kind of interesting. You are required to register your vehicle here within 30 days...yet you cannot get the documents to prove you are a resident until after that period.

This guy is in a Catch 22. He needs to come in with some form of a DL or he is going to have a hard time acquiring one.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:59 AM

66 posts, read 77,163 times
You mentioned rental mailbox, I use MailLinkPlus that offers a Rainbow Blvd address. Prompt notification by email, online access. They can even scan the content however not cheap. The owner Eric is great and responsive. Here's the paperwork you need to finish when you sign up. Notice that USPS requires Form 1583 for delegation.

https://www.maillinkplus.com/documen...ation_1583.pdf

The whole signup process can be done all online if you have the software to work directly on a PDF file and sign it digitally. That's what I did actually. That way, you might be able to start transfering your bank accounts and credit cards now rather than later.

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: