Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 02:20 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by esas View Post
Love LV, but if you spend any time at Lake Mead or Powell, you'll see that there is a major issue with no resolution in the near future (i.e. solving the Southern California & Arizona water problems that are fed by Lake Mead).
Sounds very scientific. Someone leaving LV for greener pastures is totally understandable but really you sold because of water concerns? Guess you needed some other mental justification for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2023, 01:25 AM

31 posts, read 26,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Sounds very scientific. Someone leaving LV for greener pastures is totally understandable but really you sold because of water concerns? Guess you needed some other mental justification for it.
Anecdotally, I've talked with a handful of people that name that as their primary concern for leaving the area.

Old 01-02-2023, 07:17 AM

399 posts, read 563,528 times
Quote:
You're comical...mental justification. It was one reason, with many more...but this thread is about water, and yes - it is a concern after seeing how the lake and river have changed since we moved to LV in 2010. Everyone keeps saying 'LV will be fine'...do you really believe the river upstream (all the way to CO) can refill and continue feeding it? Do you really believe the Federal government will allow the agriculture regions of AZ and CA to shut down? If you're bored one day, read about continuous decline of CO snowpack. It may be 50-100 years, but there will be impacts to the city of LV.

Old 01-02-2023, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esas View Post
You're comical...mental justification. It was one reason, with many more...but this thread is about water, and yes - it is a concern after seeing how the lake and river have changed since we moved to LV in 2010. Everyone keeps saying 'LV will be fine'...do you really believe the river upstream (all the way to CO) can refill and continue feeding it? Do you really believe the Federal government will allow the agriculture regions of AZ and CA to shut down? If you're bored one day, read about continuous decline of CO snowpack. It may be 50-100 years, but there will be impacts to the city of LV.
It has more to do with the fact that all these water threads reach a completely wrong conclusion. Water issues don't make places less attractive to live but they do threaten the ability for growth to continue. If there was a true issue with water then building permits would be hard to obtain. So instead of the knee jerk, the sky is falling reactions, get serious in thinking about what happens if no new housing supply is allowed. Continued demand, no new supply. HOUSING VALUES INCREASE!

Old 01-03-2023, 12:57 AM

31 posts, read 26,104 times
Quote:
If there was a true issue with water then building permits would be hard to obtain.
Oh boy, you actually believe that. Sounds like some sort of mental justification...

Old 01-11-2023, 02:47 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,181 times
At dead pool on Hoover Dam, Clark County has 20 ft of elevation to draw water. That ‘s a lot of water when you consider at dead pool the amount of water flowing in the Colorado River is a lot more than our allotment. I think that when we get to dead pool, the people of Clark County will finally say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH and no new water meters will be issued.

Old 01-12-2023, 05:25 AM

1,086 posts, read 745,884 times
I get there are things people like and dislike about Vegas. Water concerns is a concern to some. I think it's sillyness but sure it's an issue. I feel very confident we'll figure out options. It may involve additional cutbacks but I think we'll be fine. The fact is living in Las Vegas is truly awesome! Getting on 18+ months and loving it! Just took some out of town friends for dinner and a show last night down on the strip! #worldclass

Old 01-13-2023, 05:28 PM

194 posts, read 194,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
I get there are things people like and dislike about Vegas. Water concerns is a concern to some. I think it's sillyness but sure it's an issue. I feel very confident we'll figure out options. It may involve additional cutbacks but I think we'll be fine. The fact is living in Las Vegas is truly awesome! Getting on 18+ months and loving it! Just took some out of town friends for dinner and a show last night down on the strip! #worldclass

Mind me asking where did you move from? Wife and I are considering moving to LV in a couple of years when the kid heads off to college. We were just there in Summerlin checking out the area, definitely a nice area with great food, entertainment, and shopping.

With the ongoing storms pummeling California and recharging the state with water and stacking snow levels in CA, NV, and AZ, it's possible Lake Mead will get additional water as well from the storms. Not sure if the Colorado river will be getting an influx of water through its own storms.

Old 01-17-2023, 12:28 PM

This is what is supposed to happen and will occur more frequently.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/17/ariz...in-desert.html

As developers get told no on new developments, there will be a market for water. Farmers could sell their land and water rights and then some limited development happens in Arizona. The water gets allocated based on highest and best use. The way it should work. Not too many large scale farms to do this in Nevada so its going to go to even lower levels such as golf courses selling their water rights and shutting down for development. That has far less capacity.

Bottom line is while some worry about water, houses are going to continue to go up in value in Las Vegas and Phoenix. The demand to live in these places continues to increase while the supply of houses doesn't grow enough to match the demand. Tear downs are also going to come into play, something you see almost everywhere else but not so much in these two cities where most residents rather just buy the newest thing further out on the fringes of the metro area. This is the best way to look at the water situation, as an economic problem to solve. Not with the sky is falling, this place is going to be a ghost town in 10 years mindset.

Old 01-18-2023, 11:14 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Don't know about 20 years out but the snowpack right now in Colorado is well above average and may help ease the summer months as that snow melts and flows down the Colorado River towards Las Vegas.

https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref...mal_update.png
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: