Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 07:30 PM

8,410 posts, read 7,690,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txman210 View Post
Doesn't Colorado have some of the lowest property taxes in the country? Arizona has very low property taxes too.
Perhaps, but we've lived in our CA home for almost 40 years. Every comparable home we've looked at in Northern CO will have higher property taxes than what we are currently paying, with annual reassessments. Now, if we'd moved to Colorado 10 years ago, we might qualify for a senior citizen lock in in the city of interest, but our daughter and grandbaby didn't live there then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2024, 10:43 PM

81 posts, read 97,233 times
Yes, Prop 13 helps a lot if you've been in your home for decades...

Old 05-14-2024, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Yes, Prop 13 helps a lot if you've been in your home for decades...
Helps if you plan to be in your new home for decades too.

Old 05-16-2024, 03:05 PM

"No one can predict the future...least of all economists."

Old 05-16-2024, 03:26 PM

Quote:
"No one can predict the future...least of all economists."
True that! Also: the best laid plans....yadda yadda yadda.

Old 05-16-2024, 04:23 PM

1,894 posts, read 846,659 times
I checked back here & see Colorado mentioned. Move to Boulder, my kid & their spouse bought a house there. They chose the area for the really good school district, even though they are DINKS. If you were thinking of San Diego, you can manage Boulder & fly out of DEN.

Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM

I can't afford San Diego, that's the biggest issue.

Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM

8,175 posts, read 8,402,463 times
Just some comparisons or you….. I threw in Las Cruces, NM because I have friends who love living there.

Overall School District ratings (by niche.com):

San Diego Unified: A
Plano, TX: A+
Hurst, Euless, Bedford: A+
Irving, TX: B
Clark County (Las Vegas, Henderson, etc.) B
Las Cruces, NM: B+

Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM

9,014 posts, read 20,431,622 times
And, OP, remember about the weather. Southern Nevada/Vegas, very hot and windy during summer, but basically no winter at all. Colorado, winter snowstorms/blizzards/sometimes freezing temps (below zero) and summer t-storms.

And, we know an older Baby Boomer senior that has two sons that are both engineers like he was. He retired from Ford Motor Company in Detroit. Actually, his two sons make a much higher salary than he ever did and are doing extremely well. His one son, and his family, use to live in Vegas, but due to the summer heat, moved back to Michigan.

Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM

84 posts, read 71,040 times
Quote:
First and foremost, I appreciate all input and will add to those that may have questions I didn't include that would impact your recommendations.

I'm concerned about the quality of education for our child. As such, I've expanded the search out of Vegas to include Prescott, AZ, Albuquerque/Santa Fe, NM, Tucson, AZ, and possibly Clark County, WA. Each place has its pluses and minuses, of course, but Vegas would seem to be our best bet if the schools would provide the best environment for our child. If not, we would be willing to sacrifice our desires for our child's best interest.

Thank You all in advance.

There are also areas outside of metro Las Vegas that may work. There is the town of Overton which I like. If I were to live in Clark County that is where I would be. It is small, neighborly, good schools and close enough to Vegas to make it easy.

There is also Pahrump if you want to be outside of Clark County but within an hour or so of the strip for those times you need the crowds.

I moved here from right outside of Spokane (Medical Lake) and I really miss that area, but I sold my snow blower so there is no going back.

rr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas